back to article Someone just chucked another $21 million at carbon nanotube memory techies

Nantero’s 16-year march to carbon nanotube memory products just got another slug of cash to help it on its way, over $21m, to be specific. NRAM (non-volatile RAM) is a DRAM replacement and not a DRAM-flash gap-filler, like, for example, Intel and Micron’s 3D XPoint. The firm was founded in 2000 and its technology involves a …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If this is persistant, is there any reason the article states it's a DRAM replacement, rather than a replacement for both DRAM and flash?

1. DNTP

Possibly there will be an extended period where Flash will be more economical for storage and production of nanoRAM will be limited by the cost.

Meanwhile of course my company will still be using hardware from 2006.

1. Mark 85

Meanwhile of course my company will still be using hardware from 2006.

And running XP also? Maybe a few machines with Win 3.1?

2. Mike Shepherd
      Meh

50ns

50ns would be slow RAM, by modern standards, so I'm not clear how it can replace DRAM completely. Can anyone provide details to make sense of this?

1. Hotears

Re: 50ns

Actually, 50ns is not bad compared to DRAM. It is true that latency is much better than that once a row is opened, but when you then want to access a different row you have to close the row, precharge the sense amplifiers, open the new row, and only then can you read quickly (or rather the memory controller in the SoC you are using does this for you, but it still takes time).

If constructed in a similar way (wide rows), NRAM will, if the access time is ~50ns, be about the same.

The first market I expect it to appear in is small nonvolatile memories for industrial purposes. I currently use 32kByte MRAM and FRAM parts, and I pay around USD3 each for them in quantity.

2. Alan Bourke
    Thumb Up

"we have one binary state (zero) and if they are separated we have the other (one)"

Thanks for clarifying.

1. DNTP

Re: "we have one binary state (zero) and if they are separated we have the other (one)"

Hey, remember that there are 10 kinds of people in the world when it comes to understanding binary and sometimes that other group needs a little more explaining.

3. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
    Boffin

A fool VC and his money are soon parted

This is a con, pure & simple.

4. nano200

Would this be classified as a memristor as well?

5. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Coat

"Schmergel "

has got his hands on more of the precious (cash).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon