back to article England OUT (of Euro 2016, not the EU) tops Twitter year

Britain’s shock Euro 2016 defeat to Iceland was the UK’s most tweeted event of the year, according to Twitter. The humiliating event ran at 128,000 tweets per minute at 9.51pm on June 27, the social network said Tuesday, announcing its most popular tweets of the year. England’s loss scored nearly 20 per cent more than the …

1. Graham Cunningham

Britain?

Gavin, "Britain" does not have a team, it has three; the UK has four, the British Isles has five. I think you are referring to "England". Wales did better. Scotland didn't.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Britain?

Is Gavin foreign, making a "joke" or just very, very stupid ?

1. smartypants

Is a Gavin likely to be foreign?

2. Daniel von Asmuth

WTF? As long as that Brexit thing is not done, the EU should have one national football team that will compete for the Euro cup against The Vatican and Albania.

2. Professor Clifton Shallot

I think Gavin just thought the headline was too good to let go of even though it doesn't work properly.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> I think Gavin just thought the headline was too good to let go of

Gavin Clarke is credited as the author. I expect it will be a subeditor writing the headlines. Possibly a non-British one, or one who gives less of a toss about football than even I do?

3. wolfetone Silver badge
    Coat

"Britain's shock Euro 2016 defeat.."

Only England were shocked by it. Wales, Northern Ireland and the Republic were expecting it.

Not sure what Scotland made of it as I didn't see them at the Euro's to ask...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Britain's shock Euro 2016 defeat.."

"Not sure what Scotland made of it as I didn't see them at the Euro's to ask..."

For the record, Scotland fuckin' loved it.

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Re: "Britain's shock Euro 2016 defeat.."

"At the Euro's what?"

To compete.

4. Cyclist

Not a football fan then Gavin

Everyone leapt at "Britain out...", but equally it's only right to point out that Leicester didn't beat Chelsea to clinch the title [not unless we count the beating dished out the previous November at the KP that cost Maureenio his job, even though that doesn't count as a clincher), but Chelsea did draw with Spurs on the Monday evening to deprive Spurs of their already threadbare chance of winning it instead of Leicester. I was ironing at the time and had a proper dust in the eye moment, a whole sackful actually. Blubbed I did. But Gavin, Leicester didn't beat Chelsea to clinch the title.

It's good that things are back to normal this year with a relegation battle on the cards. I couldn't cope with supporting a big team that expects to win things every year.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not a football fan then Gavin

I'm not Gavin, but did not understand a word of that thing about Leicester beating up some girl with an American-sounding name.

Anyhow, just wanted to ask, isn't Iceland's football team supposed to be like, amateurs? I mean, in the strict sense of actually having a day job and playing for fun on the weekends (which, on an aside, is exactly how it should be IMO)? Serious question.

1. bep

No, as a matter of fact most of them play as full-time professionals, some of them for quite decent teams in Europe. Iceland's record in qualifying was excellent, as it had been for several years previous, and their win against England was only a 'shock' to people who think a team called 'Iceland' should never beat a team called 'England', regardless of who is in said team, what their form is like, and who is coaching them.

1. Vincent Ballard
          Coat

Nonsense. Iceland's win against England was also a shock to everyone who thought England would never get out of the group stage...

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> No, as a matter of fact most of them play as full-time professionals

Many thanks for the clarification. It's amazing that such a small country can field a quality professional team in a wildly popular sport like football.

(Terrible quip ahead) On the other hand, maybe the England team took the Brexit thing to heart?

5. Ole Juul

miffed

The article fails to mention the sport in question. I had to do a search to find out.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh, soccer...

as you were...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh, soccer...

Do you mean association soccer, Australian rules soccer, Gaelic soccer, or soccer Fiorentino?

(just trying to pass myself off as an expert here)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Australian rules soccer"

Eh?

You mean: http://www.afl.com.au/ ?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

>> (just trying to pass myself off as an expert here)

> Eh?

Are you trying to tell me that I didn't quite succeed?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like