back to article New Euro-net will let you stream Snakes on a Plane on a *!#@ plane

Inmarsat, Deutsche Telekom, Nokia and Thales say they have successfully conducted tests of a network capable of delivering in-flight broadband across all 28 (current) European Union nations. The European Aviation Network (EAN) will blend S-Band satellite coverage provided by Inmarsat with 300 LTE ground stations scattered …

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Windows

> Snakes on a Plane

That's an old movie!

2. Lee D Silver badge

Charge for Wifi on top of your plane ticket? Yeah right.

Add 20p to everyone's ticket and give it away, or don't bother at all.

And 75Mbps (presuming asymmetric) shared between 200 passengers, their phones (whether active or not), tablets and laptops is basically pointless. It's like 200 people sitting in your living room trying to all connect at the same time.

No way would you ever get a stream going. And that's even more reason for people to NEVER pay for it.

Seriously, people, this is 20 years overdue and still naff.

1. Mark 110

If its anywhere near as bad as as wifi on trains in Britain then I can't see anyone paying for it more than once.

2. Tom Wood

I used American Airlines' inflight WiFi on a business flight from London to LA - I think they charged something like £15 and while it was by no means "superfast" the ability to spend a few hours of an otherwise long and boring flight working (sending emails, using VPN etc) was great and definitely worth paying for.

Only weird thing was that the service seemed to be tunnelled back to T-Mobile somewhere in Germany so you kept getting sent to German versions of websites.

1. Lee D Silver badge

On a flight WORKING?

No. If you have a laptop or tablet and you're on a flight, why would you WANT the ability to work. Relax, play a game, watch a movie, listen to some music.

Take a few hours off, ffs.

1. Tom Wood

I'd much rather take a few hours off that I can spend at home the day before a long flight, knowing that I'll be able to get the work done while on the flight with nothing much better to do. There's not a lot you can do with your time on a long haul flight that is actually really relaxing, so might as well do work on the plane and relax at other times.

1. Uffish

Working on a plane

I was never able to get a good look at both the screen and the keyboard of my laptop (I can't touch type). Usually had a much better view of the top of the head of the passenger in front. This was true for both economy and business classes. On the rare occasions of first class travel I was too busy scoffing the delicious nibbles and drinks and multi-course meals ever to think of working.

3. Martin an gof Silver badge

shared between 200 passengers

Given how busy skies across Europe are, and given that there are only 300 ground stations planned, I suspect it won't just be 200 passengers in a single plane, but 200 planes per cell.

Not that I care :-)

M.

3. WonkoTheSane
    Headmaster

Better idea

Instead of streaming movies to passengers, use the bandwidth to stream a planes "black box" data to the airline & manufacturer.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Better idea

Precisely.

Malaysia Ailines Flight 370 anyone?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Martin an gof Silver badge
          Headmaster

Not too many ground stations in the ocean

From the article:

The European Aviation Network (EAN) will blend S-Band satellite coverage provided by Inmarsat with 300 LTE ground stations

From the video it looks as if they are going to launch a new fleet of satellites to cope. The question is whether a good experience in Europe will lead to the system going worldwide eventually.

M.

2. WonkoTheSane

@allthecoolshortnamesweretaken - Exactly why I thought of that!

4. johnfbw

Ryanair announces its internet charges

£15 is you book in advance £50 if you pay on the plane

Plus of course £5 iPad rental (compulsory) and 3% 'convenience fee'

1. Joe Harrison

Re: Ryanair announces its internet charges

And absolutely NO per-megabyte charges*

<p style="font-size:1px">

*when connecting to ryanair.com. All other traffic 10 Euros/MB

</p>

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh, Deep joy

Flying over an ocean was just about the last place where you could not get access to Social Media sites, Celeb sites and other banalities.

Now all those who are addicted to such things will be able to get their fix even when flying over Greenland.

no peace for the rest of us.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh, Deep joy

Just as planned.

Lizard overlords will achieve 100% coverage for hypnotoad influence soon.

2. Named coward

Re: Oh, Deep joy

It is already possible to get internet access across an ocean - plenty of airlines offer it (for a charge of course). I'm not sure what's new here (maybe better speeds?)

6. Alan Sharkey

Why?

Surely, people can live without WiFi for the 4 hours it takes to cross Europe by plane?

Alan

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Norwegian Air have been doing this for a couple of years, free for passengers. Also provide in-flight streaming TV, live, series and movies. SAS also do it along with 3G access, so phone, sms and data, you are charged as if you were roaming by your operator if you use 3G.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like