back to article Arista cats escape US quarantine, for now: Customs says it's OK to import networking gear

Arista says US Customs officials will wave in shipments of its latest-generation kit after deciding that the gear does not infringe Cisco's patents. Earlier this year, Cisco landed an import ban on Arista gear because it ripped off its intellectual property. Arista rejigged some of its software to avoid infringing Cisco's …

1. Nate Amsden

I can picture

someone at Cisco throwing chairs around right about now

1. Mark 85
      Devil

Re: I can picture

And maybe a phone call to Trump about evil imports? Yeah.. I'm aware of where Cisco's kit is made... but profits are at risk here.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

"Ripped off the command line"

So... design patents? Rounded corners and everything?

1. James Loughner
      Holmes

Re: "Ripped off the command line"

Text based interface is a text based interface. What exactly is unique there?????

And who did Cisco rip off. Maybe Zelda????

1. a_yank_lurker

Re: "Ripped off the command line"

The first primitive text based interface I remember was with a teletype and we will not discuss how long ago that was to protect the senile (me).

If 'zilla's patents are truly valid why don't they go after Slurp for DOS or ATT for Unix? I suspect both CLIs predate the patents.

3. Networking Dude

Cisco still thinks they are going to win the ITC verdcit

Cisco lawyers are Supremely confident that they will win the ITC lawsuit against Arista. And if not, they wlll find something else to sue Arista on. The big one being the MPLS code they developed in record time for the 7500R using most of the software design team of the CIsco 7000 MPLS software team that used to report to Jayshree at Cisco. The lawsuits will never stop between them unless a judge makes them settle.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

so this Arista stuff is good then?

Otherwise, why would Cisco keep on suing them?

1. Networking Dude

Re: so this Arista stuff is good then?

IT works, the software is better, easier to maintain, does not crash and is Devops friendly... A win win for all if you give them a chance... But they dont do wireless access points or POE stuff...

5. Herby
    Thumb Up

Switchzilla...

I like it. Of course they do more than switches, but the other things are multi-syllabic.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like