back to article Google declares victory for its Wifi router before it's even shipped

Google hasn't yet released its Wi-Fi mesh router, but the company is already claiming to have bested the competition. Google paid testing services company Allion USA to evaluate how its forthcoming "Wifi" compares to mesh routers from Eero and Luma. Eero and Luma have both received significant venture funding this year, based …

1. Oengus

Take with a grain of salt.

Google paid testing services company Allion USA to evaluate how its forthcoming Wifi compares to mesh routers from Eero and Luma.

Isn't the job of any "Paid for" comparison to make the company paying for it look good. When was the last time you saw a report commissioned by a company about their product come back making the product look bad? Until there is an independent comparison I'll withhold judgement.

I also wonder if I am the only one to pronounce it "Whiffy"

1. Andrew Jones 2

Re: Take with a grain of salt.

"I also wonder if I am the only one to pronounce it "Whiffy"

Yes.... you are.....

- HiFi

- LoFi

- WiFi

Eye-Spy

- Mi-Fi (which is pronounced MY not ME)

- Ras-Pi

- Russian Spy

- Apple Pie

They all have the same sound - and it's not "iffy"

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

Also SyFy, which I pronounce "Siffy"

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "I also wonder if I am the only one to pronounce it "Whiffy"

No, no they're not.

Although I had to endure monstrously disproportionate p*** taking from nephew #2 when I said it.

Which is fine as my view is if the young don't like it it's gotta be right.

3. Kernel

'They all have the same sound - and it's not "iffy"'

This is English we're talking about here - consistency between pronunciation and spelling has never been that big a deal, so it's always a bit tricky arguing the correctness of one based on the other.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Indeed, Microsoft are the kings of paid for reviews, their whole operation survives on it. If you can't beat them, join them.

The American public are the fools, and can't spot these advert reviews

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Indeed, Microsoft yadda yadda yadda

For fucks sake, give it a rest! If you've got nothing relevant to post then don't post.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Microsoft are the kings of paid for reviews, their whole operation survives on it"

Some examples less than a decade old and excluding Xbox (such things are commonplace in consoles) ?

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Anon

"Indeed, Microsoft are the kings of paid for reviews, their whole operation survives on it. If you can't beat them, join them."

Congratulations, you have managed to work some MS bashing into an article which has nothing to do with them.

Maybe you could enlighten us all, where exactly did the big bad microsoft touch you that has left you so emotionally scarred?

3. GlenP Silver badge

also wonder if I am the only one to pronounce it "Whiffy"

No, probably not.

Some years ago I was due to visit the Paris office of my then employers when I had a phone call from a French colleague.

"Can you bring me woteefee please?"

After some digging I found he meant "What Hi-Fi"! I duly took a copy over for him.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No you aren't the only one. We spent quite some time trying to understand one of our French colleageus when he kept asking about the Wiffy. It's kinda stuck now though, and it's Wiffy everywhere.

1. agurney

and it's "wee fee" in Spain

1. LionelB Silver badge

and it's "wee fee" in Spain

Indeed it is. Spanish speakers tend to pronounce everything completely phonetically.

Lengthy digression: I got laughed at some years ago for pronouncing the name of the late Chilean dictator Pinochet as "Pinotchett" in the the company of English speakers. I had just come back from visiting family in Spain, and that's how they say his name there. I pointed out that the "English" pronunciation "Pinoshay" is actually more French than English. Now, as it turns out, the Pinochet family name is actually French. I then checked with some actual Chileans, and found that they pronounce it "Pinotché" (and usually spit after doing so). This may be because either they know his name is French but, since there's no "sh" sound in Spanish the "ch" comes out as "tch", or else they are just pronouncing it phonetically, but the Latin American final "t" is very soft (compared to Castillian Spanish) and I just wasn't hearing it.

The Spanish are, however, slightly pissed off if you call their spicy sausage "choritso" (English and Germans tend to do that - the Germans have an excuse, the English do not). Then again, Spanish speakers call the composer "Mothart" (or "Mossart" if they're Latin American. We're all a bit crap, then.

5. Not also known as SC
      Happy

I also wonder if I am the only one to pronounce it "Whiffy"

My Belgian Dutch speaking in-laws refer to this as what sounds like "whiffy", so you're not the only one.

6. Fungus Bob

"I also wonder if I am the only one to pronounce it "Whiffy""

Yes. If Fifi is pronounced "Feefee" then this should shirley be pronounced "Weefee"....

2. Andrew Jones 2

First - Please stop calling it a router, it's an access point.

Second - Since they haven't announced any date of when it will be available in the UK - I shall have to hope someone (give them a nudge ElReg - ask them nicely) gets a chance to test the BT offering which does exactly what Google WiFi does, mobile app and all - it's called "BT Whole Home WiFi" and uses the proper Mesh networking standards including fast roaming. But it's BT.... and they aren't stellar at performance, reliability and stability when it comes to ANY of the Home Hubs - so - these are definitely a need-to-be-thoroughly-reviewed-before-purchase type of purchase. But they cost the same as Google WiFi (£299 for 3) so..... pretty please El Reg......

https://www.shop.bt.com/learnmore/bt-branded-products-and-services/bt-whole-home-wi-fi/

1. Ole Juul

sigh

"First - Please stop calling it a router, it's an access point."

That is indeed extremely irritating. I suspect that practice is going to end up burying the whole concept of routers and routing deeply in the world of the networking expert and be completely removed from popular dialogue. Also, especially for a tech publication, it is extremely confusing to be seemingly talking about the speed of routing when in fact the subject is the speed of wireless transmission. Can we not do better here?

1. Adrian 4

Re: sigh

Router's already a confusing mess between woodworking power tools and network infrastructure.

In any case - this is apparently a mesh router, not an AP. Do they all have to be wired up or do they do the routing themselves ?

Is 'WiFi' supposed to be a trademarkable name ? Does anyone still hyphenate it ?

1. steamrunner

Re: sigh

It's a mesh access point. :-)

Also:

* Router = device for routing network packets between networks

* Router = device for gouging holes in wood things

... see? Totally different. Even the Yanks know the difference (even if it's the alternative difference).

S.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Third, it's made by Google so prepare for losing half your egress bandwidth while it ships details about your life to that oh-so-benign Su adjunct to their spy agencies.

It's clever, though, instead of having to drive around with Streetview cars snooping from the outside they can now do it straight from your home at no extra effort - heck, you even pay THEM for the privilege. Add Google Home and Google Homeview has arrived in a more thorough fashion than even we dared to predict. Next: Google Home will get a camera, all the better to see you with...

1. You aint sin me, roit

Fourth - though linked to first - why call it "mesh" technology when all you do is connect a laptop to a router?

I don't call my home Wi-Fi a "mesh", but it is considerably more sophisticated than that. But then I don't call my router an "access point", or my PC a "distributed-network client node".

2. inmypjs Silver badge

"It's clever, though, instead of having to drive around with Streetview cars snooping from the outside"

They haven't needed cars for years. They have billions of android devices geo-locating wifi access points without explicit permission and geo-locating the IP address assigned to them with no permission.

3. Down not across

Next: Google Home will get a camera, all the better to see you with...

What do you mean "will"? They already have the Nest camera..

3. Colin Millar

A google spokesdrone says

"Just in case you inadvertently prevented us from having access to all your internet traffic - and while we were about it we slurped any home network activity, hacked any non google approved mobiles attaching to our router and turned down your thermostat."

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A google spokesdrone says

New T&C component:

"Traffic prioritisation. In order to ensure a smooth and uninterrupted transfer of all your personal data, life secrets and any salacious information we can use to prevent you suing us, traffic to Google is prioritised. If, by any chance, any bandwidth is left, you agree that we may use it for downloading personalised ads. Your privacy is very important to us, which is why it's best you don't have any".

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How often does it...

.... phone home with a full Ad profile???

1. MrDamage Silver badge

Re: How often does it...

That's why it's faster. It pre-caches all of the Google based ads during quiet times.

1. Captain DaFt

Re: How often does it...

"It pre-caches all of the Google based ads during quiet times."

Dah-yum! How many yottabytes of storage does that little box have?

5. inmypjs Silver badge

"Google says its Wifi – spelled thus, rather than Wi-Fi"

Car manufactures coming up with names that don't mean donkey shit or something somewhere in the world bring us the likes of VW toerag and Nissan squishsquash etc.

While Google think it is OK to call their router smelly in a large part of the world.

6. Pete 2 Silver badge

Marketing 101

> Google hasn't yet released its Wifi mesh router, but the company is already claiming to have bested the competition.

Clearly that is the best time to tell people how excellent your product is: before anyone has seen it and could possibly disprove your claim with all that annoying "experience"?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Len Goddard

Nope

I'll stick to wire

1. Dabooka

Re: Nope

^^^^ What he said

We're about to complete on a new house and during my last visit I started thinking about router placements, NAS drive etc, and where to run the cabling.

"You don't need to" he said, "we've got wi-fi!"

"That's great" I said, "but I prefer cabling"

"Why? Wi-fi signal is strong enough"

"Security and speed!" I reply

"Well I've never been hacked" he puffs as he shuffles out the door, his Sky router proudly transmitting out the default SSID.

2. D@v3

Re: Wire is good

But I find my smartphone and my tablet don't work so well when wire is all there is

1. Uffish

Re: Wire is good

"my smartphone and my tablet don't work" . They make little gadgets for situations like that. Of course if you want secure communications you probably wouldn't be using a smartphone or tablet.

8. Mage Silver badge

Google

I don't have much choice on a phone, but I sure won't assist Google steal my privacy by using Chrome, Chromebook or a WiFi point. They are an advertising company anyway. Android and many other products bought in.

My WiFi is a mini-PCI card in my router running OpenWRT.

Mesh is slow. I prefer to cable airpoints together, Minimum of twice the performance with two airpoints and even better with more.

1. RyokuMas
      Devil

Re: Google

"I don't have much choice on a phone"

Yeah you do - depends what you want from a phone. For example, my contract is about to expire, so I'm looking to "upgrade" to something not too dissimilar to the trusty old 1100 I had prior to the iPhone I have currently (which I got solely because I needed an iOS test device at the time).

Even if I had to have a smartphone, I'd sooner go Apple or Microsoft than Android - lesser of evils and all that.

And as for this new router or whatever it is - over my cold, dead, rotted corpse.

9. Warm Braw

Faster in the bedroom

A friend of mine tells me he's pleased to see that quality so publicly endorsed.

10. Cuddles

Speed is relative

"Wifi reached speeds of 228 Mbps, compared to 205 for Luma and 186 Mbps for Eero"

Meanwhile, the UK government has the target of getting everyone to have 24 Mbps at some point in the future. Those of us with pretty decent, for this country, broadband can generally expect speeds somewhere between 60-130 Mbps. For the average person, who is not running a LAN with lots of local devices and storage and is simply looking at Facebook and Netflix over the internet, there is exactly zero benefit in the increased speed. It reminds of when all the browsers liked to boast about how few milliseconds they could take to render a page, apparently forgetting that time differences far smaller than any possibility of human perception were not actually the main selling points of their products.

11. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

so then the only real difference between this

and the less expensive Ubiquiti Unifi series is the level of technical knowledge required?

My home is very similar to their test setup (two story, 3000sq.ft.) and I get along quite well with ONE Ubiquiti Unifi AP. If I could be arsed to run the wire for a second one, I'd have blistering speed everywhere. As it is, with one AP centrally located upstairs, I get strong signal and very respectable speeds in the most commonly used sections (kitchen, den, master bedroom). To be completely fair, the level of knowledge required to truly get the most out of it is well beyond the grasp of the average user but that's not an issue for those of us here. Even my half-arsed attempt was setup in about ten minutes. The only reason it took THAT long was because I changed the default IP range and actually bothered to setup the restricted "guest" network.

1. Gert Leboski

Re: so then the only real difference between this

Same. I have an AC-PRO on the ceiling above the stairs. Works a treat with excellent performance, even downstairs and in the garden are way more than acceptable. If I wanted to get an additional LITE version for half the price of the Pro and put it downstairs, there'd be superb coverage with zero hand-off and lots of management and monitoring features.

I'd like to run Google's equivalent to my setup and see how they compare, especially with one eye on pflog.

12. EveryTime

I can guess...

I can guess that the person doing the evaluation lived in a 3000 square foot, two level house. They moved equipment around until they got the result their paying client wanted, and called that an objective evaluation.

Top-notch marketing result there.

13. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

My new router design is EVEN better...

I have discovered a truly remarkable proof which this margin is too small to contain.

14. Kinkless Tetrode
    Black Helicopters

Never mind claims of speed. Do they make any claim as to security? Fast, loose routers are 2 a penny.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like