back to article Long-distance Asian internet hookups are now faster then ever

If you fancy a long-distance Asian internet hookups now available, we have good news: the Asia Pacific Gateway (APG) submarine cable has been completed and brings 100Gbps of connectivity to the region. The cable lands in China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam during the course of its …

1. Dr Scrum Master

Meanwhile, internet speeds in Indonesia and the Philippines are the equivalent of creeping along a jungle track.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Philippines

Ten years. They've got about ten years to get the place ready for my retirement. :-)

The good news is that there are already reports of fiber optic ISP service appearing on the exact tranquil little island where our properties and relatives are.

2. RichardB

Last year I ran a speed test on my home adsl in manila. Same website that I usually use from the UK.

Figured it would be a disaster, so pretended it was a no longer very active provider with a not very good name.

Turned out I have one of the fastest connections that it had ever seen.

The wifi is crap on the supplied box, but the fibre broadband is great :)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

and when does the East Indian Ocean get an update ?

Why does it stop in Thailand ??

3. smartypants

100Gbps to 54Tbps?

Had to look it up. Very interesting tech. The first link is great because they have pictures of the repeaters and branching units, and lots of graphs (which I like)

http://www.ofcconference.org/library/images/ofc/2014/Market%20Watch%20and%20SPS/2-Aoki.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super-channel

4. kpanchev

Check your grammar...

...faster THEN ever? How can I take any information seriously if the person who wrote it can't spell...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon