back to article Hyperloop One settles hangman lawsuit

The extraordinary lawsuit/soap opera surrounding tube-travelling Hyperloop One has been brought to a close. On Friday, the company reached a confidential settlement with four former employees who had seemingly tried, and failed, to stage a management coup earlier this year. "Hyperloop One is pleased to announce that it has …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'll take this whole company and its product seriously when I actually see the Dubai link working.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

The people of Dubai wont get to see that, nor the Flintstones movie for that matter!

But the people of Abu Dhabi do...

2. Spacedman
      WTF?

I can't even see their web page working because the first item is a Flash video. Are these Hyperloop things steam-powered?

2. GrapeBunch

"I wasn't dreaming, I was levitating", she said, "and later I slept so much better."

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    Thumb Up

An unfortunate choice of words

"looks forward to continuing to execute on its business plan"

...considering we're taking about "noose-gate" here :-)

1. breakfast Silver badge
      Coat

Re: An unfortunate choice of words

This is the big noose story of the week so far.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Enough of this gallows humour

1. Swarthy
          Coat

No noose is good noose!

4. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"it's probably fair to assume that BamBrogan was given just enough to make him go away."

I think his idea of "just enough money" would be extremely welcome in Syntax Towers.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Maybe "just enough rope"

5. TeeCee Gold badge
    WTF?

"Brogan BamBrogan"

Christ, some parents can be real evil bastards, can't they?

1. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

"The lawsuit [PDF] was brought before a Los Angeles court yesterday by Hyperloop cofounder Brogan BamBrogan, who, amazingly, changed his name from Kevin Brogan when he married his wife Bambi Liu (she's now named Bambi BamBrogan)."

www.theregister.co.uk/2016/07/13/hyperloop_one_stifled_with_lawsuit/

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Yes, totally sensible.

Pet Peeve Alert: Bambi is a male.

In the 1923 book he is a Capreolus capreolus or roe deer, which the 1942 film changed into an Odocoileus virginianus or white-tailed deer. Which is fully covered by artistic license.

There is also the other Bambi in that one episide of The Young Ones who is played by Griff Rhys Jones.

So in my opinion it reflects rather unbecoming on anyone naming their daughter Bambi.

1. Arthur the cat Silver badge

@ allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Have an upvote for teaching me something new. (I hadn't realised there was a book.) OK, it's pretty useless outside of pub quizzes, but it's a new fact to add to my collection, and it's not about politics, which has to be good right now.

2. kain preacher

Um well not in America. Here in the states we do things differently. Just like Charlie could be a boy or a girl. Male , female names nah, we do what ever we want.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"There is also the other Bambi"

You've forgotten the third, the one who smirked his way into becoming PM.

4. Stuart Elliott

RE: Bambi

To be fair, Bambi in the young ones, was a shortened version of Bamber, as in Bamber Gascoigne.

5. Blofeld's Cat
          Thumb Up

Also ...

Bambi and Thumper (Lola Larson and Trina Parks) in Diamonds Are Forever are both definitely female.

Perhaps not the best role model though ...

2. TeeCee Gold badge
        Stop

He changed his name to "Brogan BamBrogan"?

At least Latrine from Robin Hood, Men in Tights had a reasonable excuse....

Maybe Hyperloop have learned a valuable lesson here. If a prospective employee has something about them that makes you suspect that they may be an utter wankhammer, don't hire them.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Dodged a bullet.

"Grogan Bam! Grogan"

Good that wasn't considered.

3. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

His real name is Kevin Brogan. he changed his name when he got married.

6. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"neither side came out coated in glory"

Indeed not. One side is apparently a Neanderthal relic that can't hold his liquor, and the other is a group of high-level management types that hired a drunken Neanderthal relic and didn't fire his ass the first time he started getting drunk on the job.

Oh well, participation trophies for everyone, I guess.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "neither side came out coated in glory"

"the other is a group of high-level management types that hired a drunken Neanderthal relic"

Ah, we have somewhat the same philosophy. On those occasion where I have to update upper management about a problem or possible problem that could be perceived as my fault, I am always sure to add: "This probably wouldn't of happened if you had just done a better job of managing me."

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wanker

I really shouldn't judge people on appearances - God knows I never do well when judged that way.

But.......

8. imanidiot Silver badge

Time for another name change

This BamBam guy should just change his name to Bogan BamBogan. That should give people clear indication of what they are dealing with.

"neither side came out coated in glory". "Wrestle pigs, get covered in shit" is probably more accurate to what happened here.

9. moonpunk

He was a bit more than an employee though wasn't he?

I thought he was a co-founder? It's not like they interviewed him and overlooked his total "w4nker'ness", it looks like they went into business with him then realised he's a total w4nker!

10. fpx
    Devil

That's Nice

Now that the lawsuit's out of the way, can you get back to building your product now?

If your engineering team is as good as your artwork, I'm looking forward to it.

11. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

How do you keep it from bumping into the tube?

I watch a video and BamBrogan seems curiously vague as to how to keep the capsule stable as it travels down the tube:

Q: "How do you keep it from bumping into the tube, what is the science there, keeping it perfectly in the center of the tube"?

A: "Ah, the key is, which I recommend to all start-ups, is hire a lot of really smart people. So this is a controls problem, it's really not that hard" ..

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Re: How do you keep it from bumping into the tube?

They don't have a solution and the Manglement of the project is still assuming it'll be an easy fix. Even though every single engineer that has worked on the project has been telling them over and over it is the main problem to overcome and it'll NOT be an easy one.

1. Swarthy
        Trollface

You hire great people - the best people. these people will tell you it's not a hard problem. The weak, the losers, they will tell you it's a hard problem. It's not a hard problem, the solution is clear, and it's a great solution!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Elizabeth Holmes could sort that out for them.

2. Chris 239

Yes, we know them well - the management types that think the solution to a technical problem is more management....

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

1) Put it on rails to keep it centered and stable

2) Slow it down to address the problem of real estate for LARGE radius curves

3) Make it self-propelled to bypass the air pressure challenges

I'd patent it, but it all seems vaguely familiar........

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon