back to article Hewlett Packard Enterprise to outsource global IT team to CSC borg

The global IT team at Hewlett Packard Enterprise that company execs previously praised for managing the smooth break-up of the organization is finally being rewarded – the entire department is being, er, outsourced. The destination for these techies is the CSC and HPE Enterprise Services borg – the businesses are coming …

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

will there be anyone who is any good left

by March?

Oh wait, anyone who was good has already left HPE.

And with that round of Crimble redundancies at CSC, who will be left (apart from the drones in India)?

1. Kernel

Re: will there be anyone who is any good left

At least this is their internal IT services they are outsourcing - we can derive a small amount of joy from the fact that what's left of HPE will soon be feeling the same pain as the rest of us do.

Following on from his successful search for the man who rules the universe, Zaphod's next mission is to find the person who actually does the IT work - I suspect it will turn out to be some poor sod in India with an ancient PC and and a truck load of access tokens.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Rab C

Remeber the great words of Rab when you visit 'job center plus'

quote: “No one of these bloody jobs exist do they? Christ, y'just stick them up there to take the bare look off the walls.”

3. Frank N. Stein

Really??

That wouldn't be outsourced to an Indian Call Center, would it?

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: Really??

Merry Christmas!

4. Mark 85

From the looks of it, going to CSC as those memos speak, means the former HP employees will be booted anyway. Per the latest here on El Reg, CSC is dumping more employees.

Merry freakin' Christmas HP employees. I wish you luck or a severance package that will give you some time to find a good place to land.

1. getHandle

You don't get a severance package for just doing a good job - you need to be a major suck-butt for them to toss you a bone. The rest of us get sweet FA!

1. ecofeco Silver badge

The rest of us get sweet FA!

At least you get sweet FA. I've had some places try to take money back!

2. Preston Munchensonton

Not necessarily. All it really means is that internal services will be treated like any other client now. Those employees working internal IT will move to the capability teams working on clients. If anything, they have a fighting chance to demonstrate their value since they'll be billable. It does mean that it will take an act of Man-in-the-Sky to get internal things done.

So long as they keep paying my invoices, I don't care either way. :)

5. ecofeco Silver badge

Just in time!

To be fired.

6. Youngone Silver badge

How does that work?

a $1.5bn cash dividend, and $2.5bn in debt and other liabilities; the $2.5bn is made up of $1.9bn of HPE debt and $0.6bn of net pension liabilities.

Isn't that just a massive bribe to the shareholders? It would be interesting to know if that $1.9bn of debt is new.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How does that work?

I think you'll find that after the mis-purchase of Autonomy which cost US$11 billion, everyone on ANY major HP(A/E/I/O/U) board has spent the last 5 years appeasing VERY angry shareholders any which way they can.

I would put approximately 11-billion US$ on this continuing until such a sum has been returned to the shareholders, regardless of what's left of the once-mighty company afterwards..

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good luck HPE internal IT

This model of internal IT being a customer of the IT delivery organisation in CSC sounds on the face of it good eh?

Well, as anyone will tell you it just means you are caught between two grinding wheels - the "customer" wants to pay less for their "service" and your "employer" wants less warm bodies sitting on his furniture.

I think there are probably about 3 CSC internal systems people left these days and they are management.

Who needs support anyway eh?

1. Preston Munchensonton

Re: Good luck HPE internal IT

It never worked at EDS, so this back-to-the-future episode is straight out of "I'm here with stupid".

1. BigDaddyAG

Re: Good luck HPE internal IT

Expressing my 2 cents on this matter. I think it's really nothing what it is being spun as. They did the same exact thing with EDS before openly acquiring them. CSC has a hiring freeze right now to absorb the HPE employees whom will most likely (knowing CSC) be management heavy and productive employees will remain lighter than needed and take on more work load. Dumping their employees and work load to CSC and then paying CSC to do the work for them seems like a ruse to me. Since they already own EDS there are legality questions in the acquisition of one of their companies main competitors.

From the looks of it on the inside it is being owned by HP and CSC is merely being the puppet.

CSC has been a long time customer of HP products and pushes HP equipment on their clients. So in that sense I already see the conflict of openly owning CSC.

I'd bet 35-40% of HP's hardware revenue comes from CSC contracts.

8. The Vociferous Time Waster

Juicy

Some juicy contract work to be had then...

1. HmmmYes

Re: Juicy

In 6 to 12 months time, yes.

But it would have to be good to walk into that shit storm,

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Acronym fatigue

does anyone else have trouble reading between the acronyms and management speak to extract usable knowledge from these sort of deals?

FFS!

(Fortuitous Financial Steerage, the exclamation is to display "being excited, going forward")

10. circusmole
    Thumb Down

They deserve each other.

Although I feel sorry for the coal-face workers caught in the middle of this fiasco.

This is nothing more than HPE management (term used loosely) trying to appease the shareholders for the past years of f%^kups, diminishing returns and sliding share prices, all so they can continue drawing their obscene pay packets and bonuses.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Déjà vu

EDS and Worldcom performed a two way outsourcing deal valued at $7 billion for each side of the contract. All the network and security folk transitioned from EDS to Worldcom as part of the deal. Worldcom provided network delivery to EDS, and EDS provided desktop services to Worldcom. This was a disaster for EDS in terms of network delivery (both internally and for EDS clients). EDS also lost all of its networking and security expertise.

The outcome:

• Worldcom went bankrupt

• Dick Brown was fired from EDS

• A number of Worldcom Employees (ex EDS) transitioned back to EDS.

• The two-way outsourcing deal was bad for both companies – increased cost, reduced service delivery, and loss of in-house expertise.

The major mistake in this transaction is that HPE will no longer have in-house expertise to deliver server, storage, and network infrastructure. Will purchasing managers really want to buy HPE hardware from a company that relies on an external third party to install, configure and maintain HPE equipment on its own estate?

1. Preston Munchensonton

Re: Déjà vu

All completely true, but internal infrastructure in general has been directed to use internal cloud services whenever possible, as well as the usual stupidity like Sharepoint for any number of things for which it royally sucks. From that perspective, this is also about automating elements that can be, as the internal cloud has a self-service portal.

2. Alan_Peery

Re: Déjà vu

There was the minor fact that Worldcom had been indulging in *lots* of financial shenanigans completely unrelated to EDS work, IIRC.

12. SomeoneInDelaware
    FAIL

Kiss HPE goodbye

From my own observations locally, outsourcing your internal IT to CSC is the beginning of the end for corporations.

Dupont is a good example. It is really sad to see the #1 chemical company in world commit suicide. But it is happening, piece by piece.

GM is another example.

I just can't imagine how HPE can remain a credible IT vendor if they can't run their own IT shop.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Déjà vu all over again

I was working for another company that spun off of HP. And our management made the genius decision to outsource IT. Of course they claimed it was for the reason that IT was not a core part of their business. Really? Please name one company that doesn't critically depend on IT.

Anyway, the suits came out to the site where we were working and explained their decision. (At least they had the courtesy to talk to us in person.) My only question to them was, "if IT is not a core part of the business, by that same logic, management is not a core part of the business. Are you going to outsource management?" This was not well received.

But for an IT company, to outsource its IT, is unbelievably stupid. I have to agree with SomoneInDelaware on this.

1. thomn8r

Re: Déjà vu all over again

My only question to them was

So how long did it take you to find a new job?

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HP IT were shit anyway.

I've really no sympathy for them. The business will not miss them. The entire planning process was a waste of time, submitting requirements which would be ignored. They did make me pine for the days of Compaq IT. (No, I can't believe I said that either.) At least they got stuff done. After a good kicking.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think it's OK to outsource your non-core IT, but you need to keep total ownership of your core IT, otherwise you'll never get a competitive edge from IT and be never be anything more than an also ran in your industry.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HPE should know better

After all, they should know that the term "rape the customer" was in common use in EDS just like it was at HP Managed Services prior to the acquisition of EDS. Why handover your IT to someone who you know is going to "rape" you?

17. Gis Bun

Hopefully the new company won’t have “HP” in it!

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is this HPE actually acquiring CSC while disguising it as a soft-merger because they own one of CSC's primary competitors in EDS?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like