back to article Commish urges UK.gov to mean it when it talks about transparency

If the government wants to be transparent then it ought to make transparency a statutory requirement for its CCTV-wielding authorities, according to the Surveillance Camera Commissioner (SCC). The third annual report (PDF) of the incumbent SCC, Tony Porter, was laid before Parliament this morning. Among its polite …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Selective deafness

This government is just the same as all governments - it suffers an extreme and selective deafness that only effects what it does not want to hear. Hence the SCC's report is going to be circular-filed.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ohh noooohhhss

I think they're winning, I really don't give a damn about this. Cameras are everywhere, they've been there a long time, and quite frankly they aren't going anywhere, anytime soon.

Say hello to post-democracy.

A. Pathy

1. veti Silver badge

Re: Ohh noooohhhss

Cameras are not the problem. Cameras are fine. No worries about cameras. If you're caught on-camera in some petty crime (including speeding) - then I have zero sympathy, people like you are exactly the reason the rest of us have to put up with those things.

What's done with the data they collect, that's the problem. And that's what the SCC is trying to regulate. Good on them.

3. cantankerous swineherd

this scc guy wants more cameras. I don't.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like