back to article Yahoo! cancels! earnings! call!, dodges! hacking! questions!

Yahoo! has taken the unusual step of cancelling the conference call following its earnings announcement on Tuesday. Public companies usually announce their results and then stage a conference call in which senior executives deliver set pieces before taking questions from financial analysts, institutional investors and, …

1. Mark 85
    Alert

I think Yahoo may finally be imploding... <see icon for instructions>

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Given the problems with the Yahoo weather app over the last week, I think you may well be right: there is no one left to have a conference call with.

Pity, because I really like the weather app, even if it does come with ads: I've never clicked on any but I understand the need to pay for the service. Any tips for something similarly well-designed?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Take the money and run

What? No takers?

Perhaps TWTR is a better bet.

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Earnings call? What earnings?

4. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"we keep people connected to what matters most to them"

What would that be? The TLAs?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Any DuckDuckGo users out there concerned about Yahoo Partnership???

1. Should we trust Yahoo's claim that DuckDuckGo's Yahoo Server is off-limits?

2. Yahoo rolled over and let the US Govt slurp despite public corporate protests...

3. Yahoo covered up a billion user hack / leak, apparently that's the real figure...

4. Search results have started to tank, far worse than when DDG used Google.

5. Corporate animals don't change their nature, I had this bookmarked away:

https://www.eff.org/takedowns/yahoo-tries-hide-snoop-service-price-list

6. Time to return to Startpage or give Qwant a try: https://lite.qwant.com/

7. Hope the Verizon deal crumbles and Yahoo end up being sold for $1 like Excite etc...

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Just Enough
    Facepalm

Why use Yahoo?

I don't care for taking pleasure in other's misfortune, or business failure. But Yahoo really have managed to shoot themselves in the foot head, twice, in the last year. And this move is clearly designed to avoid talking about it. And I don't blame them for not wanting to talk about it.

I can't see any future for their email service. So what do they have left? Why would anyone visit their website?

8. paulf
    Pirate

Verizon

FTA: "Yahoo! says it won't stage the call “Due to the pending transaction with Verizon”."

"All our Execs are very busy arse kissing the Verizon board to the greatest possible extent so they are not available to attend the earnings call. Melissa is especially keen for this transaction to complete as agreed in the interests of her $56m bonus all investors."

FIFY

1. druck Silver badge

Re: Verizon

Yes that's a much better explanation. I naively thought that it might be because not a single executive could hold their head up in shame, or perhaps they looking on ebay for seppuku swords.

1. paulf
        Happy

Re: Verizon

Seppuku swords is a satisfying thought but it also implies they have an ounce of honour among them which is unlikely.

Verizon has already hinted at renegotiating or walking away as there has been a [quite substantial IMO] material change so I imagine the Yahoo execs are shitting themselves that the deal gets called off. Any eBay thoughts the Yahoo execs are having will be limited to either 1. Can we flog Yahoo! to eBay? or 2. I wonder if we can put Yahoo on eBay and get a few quid for it (Paypal only - no time wasters)?

I suspect this will be one of those unusual times where the board fail to get out with their massive golden parachutes before the whole lot implodes.

9. cd

I keep seeing that photo of the last helicopter evac out of Saigon.

10. Sam Therapy

The headline should be...

Yahoo! Fucks! Up! Again!

11. fredesmite
    Mushroom

1 BILLION USER ACCOUNT ID STOLEN IN 2013

AND THEY ARE JUST REPORTING IT NOW ?

THAT IS CRIMINAL

WHY IS YAHOO EVEN ALIVE STILL ?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like