back to article First World Problems: John Lewis clients forced to re-register after website 'upgrade'

Customers of John Lewis Financial Services in the UK are still being forced to re-register for the service after a "recent website upgrade" accidentally downgraded the service. John Lewis Finance tried to migrate its online platform a fortnight ago, but is still experiencing "teething issues" leaving customers fearing they had …

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"John Lewis Finance tried to migrate its online platform a fortnight ago, but is still experiencing "teething issues" leaving customers fearing they had been scammed."

Migrate to where exactly? Something cloudy, perhaps?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Cloud Cuckoo Land perhaps.

2. John Sturdy
    Thumb Up

A step forward

If significant numbers of the non-technical public are sufficiently wary of phishing not to have simply re-registered without question, I'm pleasantly surprised.

1. billat29

Re: A step forward

Exactly, Now they did send out an email a couple of weeks prior which blithered on about new features and introducing SecureCode, but did they take the opportunity to say "Oh BTW you will have to reregister on the new website"? Of course not.

And if you went to the old site and tried to login did it say "Oooh! you're still using the old website. You need to go here and reregister" or did it just give an error code with "call customer services"?

You guess.

Dummies.

And guess how secret the information is that you need to register. errr....

3. Commswonk

Somewhere in this...

...there is a "Never Knowingly <something>" but for the life of me I cannot think of a snappy "something".

Any suggestions?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: Somewhere in this...

Never Knowingly Unregistered

3. DavCrav

"Never Knowingly <something>"

Never Knowingly Under Maintenance?

4. We're with Steve
      FAIL

"Never Knowingly <something>"

Never knowingly blunder told

4. Sureo

Nothing new

I've had numerous logins disappear from time to time. I store all my logins in a password program so I know it's not me that forgot. It's a PITA for sure.

5. deanb01

Nothing to see here...

I've got a partnership card and received an email on the 7th Oct that clearly stated I had to reregister.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nothing to see here...

I had the same. However, when I went to register I found that their password criteria had changed so I had to use a different password + they also now have a PIN number to remeber as well (and it refused my first attempt at that ... n.b. it wasn't 123456!) which was a bit annoying but the worst part was once I got logged in I found the new site looked utter rubbish compared to what was there before. I assume the old site was run by HSBC (as appearnance and username were remarkably similar to what I previously had with a GM Card) but they've taken the site "in house" now and, it appears, seem to be lacking in the "got a clue" department.

2. cantankerous swineherd

Re: Nothing to see here...

I get a lot of those sorts of emails as well. usually with a handy link as well.

6. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge
    Facepalm

BBC just did the same to me

Just got an email from Auntie, which sez:

"Hello,

We've made a few improvements to your BBC account so we've had to sign you out.

We’re all done now though, so please sign back in to get the best out of your BBC"

1. Mike Shepherd
      Meh

Re: BBC just did the same to me

As with other sites that tell me to set up another account, I found it a convenient point at which to say "time to drop them altogether". Bye bye BEEB.

1. cantankerous swineherd

coop energy did that, complete with bananas password + pin + 'security' questions.

they can't be bothered to migrate accounts properly? time to leave.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

More accurately "please login in again so that we can require you to provide your postcode so that we can tailor your content to what we think you want rather than giving you everything and letting you choose"

1. Brenda McViking
        Big Brother

Pah - it's a thinly disguised attempt to make sure you're paying your telly tax like a good citizen. Now that they've got it into law that iPlayer requires one.

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Gordon 11

but did they take the opportunity to say "Oh BTW you will have to reregister on the new website"? Of course not.

Well, they did in the email that I received.

But then - I did read it all.

1. billat29

Well done for reading it all. I bet you even clicked on the link in the email for more information. (What did I say about clicking on unsolicited emails?).

And better comprehension than wot I has.Out of curiosity (and displaying my ignorance), where did it say" re-register". I found "new" and "improved" and "enhanced security" and "new statement" (which has some design flaws).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

This all sounds like the stunts Citibank pulls every now and then, without advance warning of any kind. But it's for our good, they say. Hmmm.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

First world problems should be the objective

First world problems should be the objective but instead there seems to be many people who mock them and proudly try to create or spread yet more Third World problems.

It isn't a problem having customers contact you to ensure you are you and that they are using your product properly or telling you that your communication efforts were not as effective as predicted.

10. goldfishwfc

They mucked the back end up as well

The front of house re-registering to use a site you have already registered on is a pain

esp when you finally get on and the new GUI its not very good.

But

What is worse is that the banking payment system was broken as well!!

My monthly DD was accepted but the top up payment to clear the O/S amount was not

so I tried again and again and again,then I called John Lewis again and again and again

On the 4th try after holding for 30 mins I was put through and told all Interest incurred would be credited (great) and I should just try again

I did - bounce bounce bounce

So I called and called and called and called and was eventually told to delete my existing John Lewis banking details on my bank app and then re-input them and try again

I did and this time it worked

But why did my DD work but not top up payment....

well the account ref held by my bank app had my John Lewis card details from a couple of years ago so was out of date ie last 4 digits wrong, now it has the right last 4 digits and works.

But what changed??

How does a change to new front end look at your account portal break the bank end verification of customers account details ??

No idea

But I think who ever was PM of the upgrade should be fired - not making the new banking system backwardly compatible in terms of customers accounts details is just basic 101

11. pxd

doesn't affect all JL finance sites, apparently

Just had a short chat with a very nice man (of course) on the JL website - apparently I won't have to re-register to access my JL auto insurance account. On the other hand, I couldn't actually log in, either, but for the moment I am prepared to put that down to over-stressed servers; like another commenter above, I have my credentials written down and kept in a safe place, so I am pretty sure the site is just a bit confused when it says it doesn't recognise me. We'll see . . . pxd

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: doesn't affect all JL finance sites, apparently

Ah, JL Insurance the place that offers policies branded by that paraagon of UK tax-paying virtue which for some reason I cannot understand seems (from evidence of the payment on my credit card statements) bill its customers from Spain!

12. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Email just received from my credit card issuer

Telling me how much they understand security and how they can help impart their knowledge to my usage of the internet. Pity then about the "Login to Your Account Here" link, the "contact us using this phone number" link and the serialised "Find Out More" link (which incidentally takes one to an unsecured page).

The email does appear genuine, but it is not a good way of educating its target audience.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon