back to article Puny human sailors still needed... until drone machine learning tech catches up

Drones won’t replace proper sailors anytime soon because, believe it or not, they need more manpower to operate, a Royal Navy admiral has insisted. Naval drones are “not about reducing the requirement for people”, Rear Admiral Paul Bennett told a press briefing attended by El Reg on Friday. Instead, they are for putting people …

1. Alister
    Coat

Looking at the photo of HMS Forth, I don't know about "Manned" but it's definitely masculine...

1. wyatt

Looks like it has no balls though, bit like the RN current capabilities..

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

RN balls...

I recall a recruitment booklet for the RN some years ago that had a Frigate on the cover, make way into large waves... complete with anchor ball showing.

I guess more than a few balls removed after that ...

1. imanidiot Silver badge

?

For those of us not versed in the sayings and traditions of the RN, what exactly is the problem with the "anchorball showing"?

1. Alfred

Re: ?

It communicates to other mariners that you are at anchor. It's law of the sea via the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Regulations_for_Preventing_Collisions_at_Sea

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Re: ?

Ahh, so someone photoshopped an anchored ship to make it look like it was underway. Got it. Thanks

2. Aladdin Sane
      Coat

Insert seamen joke here.

1. PhilipN Silver badge

Happy to oblige

"She was only an Admiral's daughter but her room was full of discharged seamen."

Well, you had to ask.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

a prototype one-man-for-many-drones control system

So basically a tech support guy ?

Replace "drone" with "user", and it fits amazingly well. The major difference would be that a drone can't be put on hold indefintely.

3. FredBloggs61

Got to end up where we are sending drone ships and planes against a drone enemy.

At the point of the next conflict, I suggest they all piss off down the pub and settle it over a game of darts instead of all this money being spent on weapons to destroy weapons.

1. DNTP

That works until the delegations from Lethe and Cydonia start throwing the darts at each other, then escalating back to guided missiles.

4. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"The challenge for today’s drone control system designers is to hone their systems into being able to make autonomous decisions at a certain level."

Hmm. Why am I thinking of Isaac Asimov's The Machine That Won The War all of a sudden?

EDIT: looks like there is a dead link on the linked page (the one to the story itself), so here's another one that has a synopsis.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like