back to article Chat app Telegram's meltdown today was literal – its data center cooling failed

Messaging app Telegram went wobbly on Thursday as one of its North American data centers closed down due to melting servers. The messaging service said on Twitter that the facility had been experiencing "massive overheating" problems after the cooling center in the building failed. This, in turn, resulted in communication …

1. Oengus
    Pint

Visions of a meltdown

Why do I see visions of servers dripping down the front of 19" racks like the watches in "The persistence of Memory"?

2. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Mushroom

I'm cancelling my subscription!

This story without a still or a link to this is terrible journalism.

And Telegram is not secure.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: I'm cancelling my subscription!

Nah, the missing link is this.

2. Jess

And Telegram is not secure.

There is an obvious way that stored messages could be compromised by someone with access to the telephone system.

Intercept activation texts, and register a custom client that downloads everything, and deletes the activation messages. (It would need to be done when the victim is asleep or not logged in to telegram to avoid making making it obvious they have been compromised).

That, presumably, is one reason for secret chats.

3. Hargrove

But seriously . . .

Skazillions of transistors, crammed together in a giant warehouse, their little conducting paths growing tin whiskers at aggregate mile minute rates, with ionizing cosmic rays having their way with them, as they broil in their own juices. . .

What could possibly go wrong.

4. nilfs2
    Meh

I'm in Central America

No issues here so far

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like