back to article Heads roll as Qihoo 360 moves to end WoSign, StartCom certificate row

After being pinged by Mozilla for issuing backdated SHA-1 certificates, Chinese certificate authority WoSign's owner has put the cleaners through the management of WoSign and StartCom. Mozilla put WoSign and StartCom on notice at the end of September. As part of its response, the company has posted around 200,000 certificates …

1. J. R. Hartley
    1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

WhoSign?

2. planetguy
    FAIL

Lost my trust

This is the same WoSign who issued a random guy a cert for "github.com", as written up at https://www.schrauger.com/the-story-of-how-wosign-gave-me-an-ssl-certificate-for-github-com ? To me it seems that they must either be incompetent or they just don't give a hoot. Either way, I don't trust them, and root CA maintainers shouldn't either.

3. Alan J. Wylie

Archived copy of Tyro's blog post about backdated SHA-1 certs

archive.org / bing

we made a decision to implement a temporary workaround to allow our small and medium-sized merchants to continue to transact. We reached out in good faith to certificate authorities to provide a few months runway to resolve this big challenge in a way that had minimal impact on merchants.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Archived copy of Tyro's blog post about backdated SHA-1 certs

"We reached out in good faith"

All this reaching out! No good ever comes of it.

4. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Nananana na na na na NO!

No Chinese anything TRUST!

5. Brian of Romsey

A warning shot?

Perhaps this will prompt other CAs to review their behaviour, seeing as there actually are consequences. But don't hold your breath.

The possibility that WoSign / StartCom are the only companies running below par operations is very low. Perhaps this is Mozilla / Apple putting a warning shot across the (low end of the) industry's bows?

6. Missing Semicolon Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Astounding

A bunch of executives screwed up, and got fired!

How refreshing!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon