back to article Mac malware lies in wait for YOU to start a vid sesh...

Mac malware could piggy-back on your legitimate webcam sessions - yep, the ones you've initiated - to locally record you without detection, a leading security researcher warns. Patrick Wardle, a former NSA staffer who heads up research at infosec biz Synack, outlined the vulnerability together with counter-measures he’s …

1. hypernovasoftware

How does this malware get installed?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The usual ways: via trojans or web exploits that find holes in the system to slip in undetected. As for the watchdog, that can be beaten by a privilege escalation up to root level to cover up its operation.

1. Synonymous Howard

Or by a user installing a free security / oversight tool 8-)

1. Charles 9

"Or by a user installing a free security / oversight tool"

That's the trojan angle I previously covered.

2. Your alien overlord - fear me

He's ex-NSA - surely he's just given away how they snoop on people?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Malware abuses infected computers

"Peeping Tim-stye malware that abuses the video capabilities of an infected computers to record an unwitting user is a threat to both Windows and Mac users"

So, you have to be already infected to get infected.

4. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Peeping Tim?

Has Tiny Tim finally gone bad?

5. cd

A little Blu-tack on the camera and mic.

1. Tom 38

Kind of ruins the whole video chatting experience though.

2. CustardGannet
      Gimp

My best friend

...is a roll of gaffer tape.

(Sorry - that probably sounded slightly more pervy than it was meant to.)

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pre-infected Devices

You have to wonder how many pre-infected 'new' devices are sent out by the likes of online retailers Amazon etc, just based on the address details that device is been sent to.

Known target orders new device from Amazon, Amazon cross checks this to GCHQ/NSA watch list, if match, pre-infected 'new' Apple Macbook etc sent to said address.

Something to thing about...

Tim Cook says why distinguish between Security and Privacy. Can't we have both? An example of both. (Don't down vote me for this, I'm just putting it out there, how said techniques can been used)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Pre-infected Devices

Certainly a reason why Mark Zuckerberg puts tape over his Camera, if that laptop was sent to either Facebook HQ or his home. He knows he's been watched, too powerful not to be.

7. SeanDinfo

Smaller pieces of tape

So here is a thought for people who tape over their cameras, perhaps you should use a smaller piece of tape so that you can see the LED. If you are infected with something that does not use this piggybacking technique with tape in place you have no easy way of seeing if the camera is on. It is a common design fault in most of the commercial sliding covers as well.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Big Brother

Re: Smaller pieces of tape

"with tape in place you have no easy way of seeing if the camera is on" ..

The camera light is software triggered as such it can be remotely disabled. ref

2. DNTP

Re: Smaller pieces of tape

I put transparent tape over my camera. It gives me all the advantages of taping over the camera but still lets me do video chat without having to remove the tape. And as a bonus I can still see if the LED lights up or not.

Sometimes I randomly feel a vague sense of unease like something invisible is watching me, but I have a really low Wisdom score so I always fail that check.

8. 9Rune5

The Zuckertape

I have no interest in looking at Mark Zuckerberg. And if I did, may I remind everyone that images of him can readily be found using Google's image search.

However, I would not mind sitting in on some of those meetings he carry his laptop too. I do not require a video feed, the _audio_ will suffice plenty for my insider trading needs.

Last time I checked, there is no cute led light when the mic goes live.

9. unwarranted triumphalism

Typical

Apple is the only computer / OS maker to have malware problems. My Windows box has never been successfully attacked.

1. heyrick Silver badge

Re: Typical

Because malware on Windows is as old add the hills while Mac was often touted as being the option that just isn't affected by stuff like that. False sense of security. I said it a decade ago, that Apple/Linux/etc are not invulnerable. They are more secure and their market share didn't make them an easy target. That's not the same as being invulnerable. And now that more and more people are using devices that aren't Windows boxes, their market share is growing, they are becoming more attractive as malware sources and...holes are being picked. Because they are more secure, they are harder, but they are not invulnerable.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like