back to article Sudden explosion in reports of exploding phones

An American student's iPhone has exploded in his pocket - the latest in a global wave of smartphone combustions increasingly suggesting one of the seven signs of the modern Apocalypse is upon us. Darin Hlavaty, a student at Rowan College at Burlington County, told US media network ABC that his iPhone 6 Plus had exploded in his …

1. Known Hero
    Happy

Apple Vs Samsung

Lets see if they handle this as well as Samsung ....

1. John 104

Re: Apple Vs Samsung

@known hero

Doubtful. Apple has a history ( a long history at that ) of shifting blame and never admitting any wrongdoing when their products have defects. This will be no different.

1. ArrZarr Silver badge

Can't wait to see Apple try and blame their exploding phones on people "holding it wrong" & providing a cheap fire retardant plastic case to save people from themselves.

1. m0rt

I'm looking forward to Samsung lobbing a sueball at Apple over IP infringement...

2. AIBailey

John 104 - To be fair to Apple, the last battery-related incident I recall was with the early iPod nano's. Despite them being several years out or warranty, Apple still replaced them for all affected users with the then-current model.

1. Naselus

To be even fairer, this was a 6 Plus. The fact they've been around for 2 years without a vast and overwhelming mass of explosion reports suggest this one is very much a one-off and *may* even have been something to do with how the guy holds it - such as if he keeps it in the flame of his lighter.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

do with how the guy holds it

Not how - where. See report - back pocket. Nuff said.

1. MrDamage Silver badge

@Voland if it was in his back pocket, he could have sat/landed on it, like this guy.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How well they handle what?

Samsung had a defect in the batteries they made that was the direct cause of explosions. So far we have (that I've heard in the past week) two reports of exploding/burning iPhones. One that burned up during delivery, and from the picture of the box was mailed in was OBVIOUSLY caused by something piercing the battery. Now we have a report of someone's phone catching fire in their back pocket - I have to wonder how many times he sat on it if he keeps it there.

If there was a manufacturing defect in the iPhone or its battery that was causing a rash of explosions like Samsung, I'm sure Apple would recall them. If they didn't, the CPSA would force them to in the US, and I'm sure the equivalent EU body as well. But you don't recall phones after one or two reports. Otherwise Samsung would have to recall more than the Note 7, because there have been reports of other Samsung models going up in flames as well.

Consider too how many more iPhones 7s (assuming this latest report even is an iPhone 7) there are out there versus Note 7s, so comparing a couple reports of iPhones going up out of the 20 million or so sold by now, and the hundred or so reports out of the couple million Note 7s shipped. If iPhone 7s were blowing up at the same rate, there would be a thousand reports already.

2. Kevin Johnston

New phones with added features

So if I am not interested in the new 'pocket warmer' feature I guess I just buy a new battery for my current phone to extend it's life.

Hmmm seems the battery swap feature is missing from the new phones, is it a 'one in, one out' concept for features or is it a requirement that the battery is glued in for the heating feature to work properly?

1. Andy Non Silver badge
      Coat

Re: New phones with added features

The batteries are designed to be hot swapped.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe people will learn not to sit down with a phone in their back pocket?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Maybe people will learn"

I doubt it.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Okay... let me be the first to ask...

Were they holding it wrong ?

1. DJV Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Okay... let me be the first to ask...

As it was in the back pocket he might have been "clenching it wrong" instead!

1. Dagg Silver badge
        Mushroom

Re: Okay... let me be the first to ask...

As it was in the back pocket he might have been "clenching it wrong" instead!

Nah, I recon he dropped the S.B.D. from hell. icon says it all...

5. jms222

IT Crowd

Keep thinking of the of the "My tits are on fire" IT Crowd scene.

1. VinceH

Re: IT Crowd

HTH

6. Bloodbeastterror

"Apple told ABC it would not comment"

Blimey, really...?

"customer safety is of the utmost importance."

What, even more ut than profits?

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: "Apple told ABC it would not comment"

Of course... you don't want to flambé all the customers you know. That would be killing have a negative impact on future revenue streams going forwards with the plan of expanding the customer base.

7. djstardust

I hope this doesn't happen to LG

As their UK customer support is beyond abyzmal.

8. 0laf

The reason is clear

That owner was just not cool enough to own the latest Jesus phone. Causing the battery to overheat and explode. The phone suicided rather than be owned by such an unhip individual.

The answer is clear you must be more cool.

1. Andy Non Silver badge
      Coat

Re: The reason is clear

The guy obviously wasn't cool as he was wearing "hot pants". :P

9. Timmay
    Flame

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Apple have taken the tactic of copying Samsung too far this time!!!

1. VinceH

Re: Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Does that mean Apple will be suing Samsung again?

2. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

In this case...

Immolation is the sincerest form of battery

10. Bill M

Fluffy Cat vs. iPhone

I have got a very fluffy cat who once proved her flammability when passing too near a candle.

Is it safe for me to let her play games on my iPhone ?

11. Richard Scratcher

Don't be so sentimental...

...things explode every day

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It is just news coverage of exploding phones that is going up

Normally if someone's phone caught on fire in Australia or Greece it isn't going to make the news for the Reg to hear about it, and if they did they probably wouldn't bother writing about it. But with exploding phones become newsworthy thanks to Samsung, every report is getting a lot more attention. Once the hype dies down there will still be the odd exploding phone (more likely if you keep it in your back pocket, I imagine) but they will again be ignored.

Plus we have to consider the possibility that some of these reports are bogus. Not saying this one is, I don't know enough about it, but I'm sure some people will take advantage of the hype to 1) get attention for themselves 2) try to get a phone replaced that they broke in some other way by burning it up 3) try to get some sort of settlement if they can claim injury. "My butt has second degree burns, but a Macbook would make it all better".

13. You aint sin me, roit
    Holmes

Drop kecks...

Blame overheating "device"...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like