back to article Quadsys Five walk free after hacking rival company

Five senior staffers at security reseller Quadsys managed to avoid imprisonment today. The Quadsys Five walked free from Oxford Crown Court this afternoon after a sentencing hearing - they had pleaded guilty in July to charges of securing unauthorised access to computer material, contrary to section 1 of the Computer Misuse …

1. Alistair
    Holmes

Just to be clear

NOT ME!

I'm stunned. It seems that if you're a the management level and you orchestrate a mass data theft, its pretty much allowed. But if you're at the techie level it gets you a global manhunt.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Just to be clear

If you're high up enough, you can get away with murder.

2. JassMan
    Paris Hilton

They didn't exactly walk away free

IANAL but they still got a prison sentence and a criminal record - the sentence is just suspended. If they break any more laws in the next 2 years, they WILL have serve that sentence (with time off for any good behaviour). Also if they fail to do the unpaid work, they will be in contempt of court and the sentence for that often exceeds the punishment for the original crime.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WTF??

Suspended sentence... okaaaaay.

£60 fine!!! As company directors of a fairly well known outift, these guys would have been raking in large "salaries".

And a 12 month ban from being a director of a company??

With the lack of ethics shown here, I would have expected from 10 years to a life ban.

1. John Smith 19 Gold badge
      Unhappy

" I would have expected from 10 years to a life ban."

No that's for when the company is actually trading fraudulently.

A subsidiary question would be did the get the database by a breach of trust or by breaking the other companies security.

One is obviously unethical. The other demonstrates (misapplied) skillz.

I await the full write up with interest.

4. Your alien overlord - fear me

The real crime is

ITB (a security company) allowed themselves to be hacked. What confidence will their customers have if they can't keep out the baddies from their own network?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon