back to article Apple puts on its grey suit: Firm, 40, keen to meet corporate types

Apple and consulting firm Deloitte are teaming up to help organisations with their business transformation efforts through the use of Apple devices. The move is just the latest sign that Cupertino is feeling the need to get more serious about the business market than in the past. We wonder why... Apple’s latest foray into the …

1. frank 3

Comedy gold

The fruity one has been tacking consumerwards for nearly a decade, now wants to play nice in the enterprise? Apple OSX server can't even do SMB properly. No user serviceable parts. Apple Open Directory has a fraction of the capabilities of AD.

I have to manage a small network of apples. God it sucks. Give me windows back any day of the week.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Comedy gold

It sounds like Apple is only concerned with integrating iOS devices into the corporate world. The battle for the corporate desktop was lost two decades ago, there's nothing to gain by trying to fight that battle again.

2. GrumpyKiwi

Re: Comedy gold

My brother worked for a very long time in a medium sized London printing outfit. They ran OSX servers and a mixture of Mac and PC clients.

Thanks to the large number of graphic files on their network shares and the 'tarded manner OSX handles rebuilding resource forks, you could browse to a file share on a PC, open the file and begin editing it long before the Mac client had even received a list of what files were in the share.

2. M7S

I tried to use Apple for business

out of genuine belief that they had a product (OS Server) ideal for very small firms, certainly less troublesome that setting up Windows Small Server and the like.

Despite dealing with their business marketing team, they seemed genuinely unresponsive to and disinterested in a huge potential market and some of their practices were (actively but hopefully unintentionally) hostile and potentially deadly (in IT terms) to any business using this product. Despite trying I just could not get them to see any point of view other than "that's how we do things".

I still think that with the right approach they could clean up in, or certainly take a decent chunk of, the small business market with the products they have now but I cannot see a way of offering the constructive view of an IT person in a SME to an appropriate person*. Perhaps I wear the wrong kind of sweater?

*If any designated Apple staffer monitoring El Reg has such a route, please let us know as I really would like to help.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: I tried to use Apple for business

They could have done, but then they knocked XServe on the head and suggested everyone use a Mac Mini instead, then they soldered everything in the Mac Mini together and removed the quad core and hard drive options. So they're not interested in selling servers.

2. JLV

With Windows doing its best to piss off customers, untrusted/unprofitable PC manufacturers and fairly unexciting year-on-year Apple growth rates in its core markets, Apple may yet pursue companies more aggressively in the future. For one thing, many white collar folk will already be using them at home.

Of course, that would require updating the laptop/desktop lineup, fixing a whole bunch of we-dont-this oversights in their OS offerings. And, actually being responsive, rather than bossy.

But for the world's "most valuable company" enterprise-done-right (i.e. in a way that worked for businesses) could be a huge new market.

Just iOS probably won't suffice, but it may be a good way to start throwing out feelers.

1. Naselus

"Of course, that would require updating the laptop/desktop lineup, fixing a whole bunch of we-dont-this oversights in their OS offerings. And, actually being responsive, rather than bossy."

Honestly, I don't think they're really philosophically capable. Almost everything Apple does is incompatible with enterprise, from their approach to security (walled garden is utterly at odds with everyone else's security assumptions) to their incredibly restrictive hardware lineup (4 models will clearly cover every possible business use case for everything ever) to their utter refusal to play nice with any other vendor's hardware or software. The problem is, these aspects are the cornerstone of their very successful consumer straight jacket strategy of 'trapping' people in the Apple ecosystem - breaking out of that would risk the goose that lays the golden eggs to attempt to chisel a space in a market where Microsoft still has overwhelming monopoly power (and, let's be honest, just a much better basket of mature products).

Just last year, we trialed 1 user on a Macbook Pro. It lasted just two weeks before the user demanded we bootcamp it into Windows... and since under bootcamp it positively insisted on needing 50% CPU use even when idling, we eventually abandoned the device and moved the user onto a Specter x360. All complaints immediately stopped. And this was from a user who LIKES Apple devices and had volunteered for the trial; he couldn't understand why it seemed so good at home and yet sucked so unbelievably badly in the work environment. (I suspect that we'd see exactly the same thing if we tried pushing them onto Linux, too, which is one of the reasons why it's so hard to take the 'I put my 90-year old mum on Mint and now she's perfectly happy' crowd seriously).

As DougS says, I very much doubt Apple will be trying for any serious infrastructure role on this - it's more likely to be a response to several serious vendors looking at Windows Phone for enterprise solutions. The rapid sell-out of the HP Elite might have rattled them a little, since high-end exec phones have been Apple's back yard for most of the last ten years and literally no-one was expecting WP to amount to anything ever again. Some careful positioning of iOS as a comprehensive enterprise solution, rather than the existing, somewhat complacent 'oh, everyone's just going to use it so why bother trying' approach is probably warranted.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They seem to pick one enterprise initiative a year

First IBM, then Cisco, then SAP. D&T will be 2017's initiative.

They will never get anywhere on the desktop against the entrenched might of Microsoft, but phones/tablets is a battle they can fight. Microsoft has all but given up there (Surface Pro is purchased and used as a laptop, not a tablet) and Android is so fragmented between different OEMs and different OS versions they have a good chance of winning here.

4. GrumpyKiwi

How about - get rid of that gargantuic pile of steaming network f***ing turd Bonjour?

5. Tom 64
    Mushroom

As much as I despise apple,

I hope they do start making inroads into the enterprise market. It might wake microsoft the fuck up and we'd have some healthy competition again.

1. Andy E
      FAIL

Re: As much as I despise apple,

I honestly can't see this happening with Apple. All of thier focus seems to be on iOS devices and the desktop systems are the unwanted step child. Try finding anything about programming Swift on MacOS for example. (I prefer the name OS X). Apple seems to think the only role for the desktop is to host iOS development environments.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like