back to article Nissan reveals self-driving chair

Nissan has revealed a thing called the “ProPILOT Chair” that it says exemplifies “the benefits of its intelligent mobility technology” because it “ automatically queues on behalf of its occupant, sparing them the hassle of standing in line.” As the video below shows, the chairs are packed with motion-sensing kit and can follow …

1. Brian Miller

None of the above

An electrically-operated chair? Why settle for that when you could have one with a V8 running nitromethane?

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: No no no no no

This is Nissan not the Yanks

RB26DETT thankyou

2. Magani
    Trollface

Overtaking?

Any programming of the chairs to enable queue-jumping.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

Re: Overtaking?

How about one that can deal with a non-queue queue at a really busy pub bar. That would be impressive AI.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Dear Ed, really think this IP address, or MAC, bears any resemblance to reality?

1. fandom

You wouldn't happen to browse ElReg with a GPS enabled gadget, would you?

4. Nicocys
    Boffin

Somethy fancier...

Here's an idea: what about miniaturisation as well ? Imagine a system where the chair is invisible, allowing for more customer to wait in line ! To avoid the hassle to have to look for whose chair is first, you could give people a number, which, let's get crazy here, would go in a sequence. Then you would have a clever system showing what number is up, so people can look it up to see if it is their turn.

What's more, if you show that number at multiple places, you might even be able not to have to stand in line at all !

1. Pen-y-gors

Re: Somethy fancier...

Too complicated, it would never work!

(In fact, half the places where I've seen it it actually doesn't work, because the bod behind the counter / receptionist or whatever forgets to press the 'next' button, or it turns out the 'next' person has wandered off to do something else so we twiddle our thumbs for a while until they press 'next' again. Perhaps the moving chairs aren't such a bad idea after all...)

5. K
    Flame

"rapid climate change"

But these chairs will help... As my ass will be pointing downwards so all toxic emissions will be absorbed by the material, there is an additional benefit that nobody would want to steal it afterwards - I call that win-win.

Flame because those emissions are very combustible!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This could make musical chairs much more interesting.

When did they come up with this idea? I'm guessing they sat on it for a while.

7. Unep Eurobats
    Thumb Up

Soothing to watch

It's not so much that I want one personally, but I'd like them to be around. I can imagine they would give you more of a sense that you were getting somewhere, rather than just waiting for your number or name to be called.

And they would be very useful at airport departure lounges.

8. Blofeld's Cat
    Devil

Hmm...

Very interesting; but would these chairs survive being routed via the stairwell when BOFH mode is engaged?

9. batfastad

Cool

They did this vid earlier in the year... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1D07dTILH0

We live in a golden age!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Societal"???

Good article, but may I complain about the excrescence "societal" in the subhead? There is a perfectly good word "social" which means exactly what "societal" is apparently used to mean. We really should stand firm against the ever-growing tendency to add unnecessary syllables to perfectly good words.

1. Dr Abner Mality

Re: "Societal"???

"Social" can refer to interactions within a group; "societal" refers to behavior of the group collectively.

11. You aint sin me, roit
    Trollface

If you're worried about your butt crack being on display...

Chances are you spend more time down the chippy than queuing for sushi.

12. Autonomous Cowherd

Someone in the marketing department clearly enjoys Pixar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1BQPV-iCkU

1. Anonymous Custard
      Headmaster

Re: Someone in the marketing department clearly enjoys Pixar.

Was going to say Pixar had prior art here myself. Even more so given the tagline of related stories at the bottom even had a nice Wall-E picture in it...

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
        Headmaster

Re: Someone in the marketing department clearly enjoys Pixar.

And the Wall-E poll option is a bit of a giveaway, too.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

To spice it up

Introduce some randomised behaviour and an ejector mechanism.

1. Anonymous Custard
      Mushroom

Re: To spice it up

Or sub-contract a part of the manufacture to Samsung so a few occasionally randomly catch fire or explode.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: To spice it up

[Or sub-contract a part of the manufacture to Samsung]

And beware the ones with Arabic writing on them..

14. Matthew Taylor

Electric wheelchairs

Is this for normal healthy people? They can play all the quirky jazz/swing music they like over their ad, the users just look like sick people in electric wheelchairs.

15. fpx
    FAIL

Barking up the wrong tree

I much prefer the type of line where I don't have to morosely stand around for hours moving one step at a time in lockstep with the other people around me.

Shuffling chairs down a queue is just stupid. It's solving a problem that you should not have in the first place. If I have to wait for my turn, why not let me spend the wait any way I want to, like in the coffee shop. Like with the gizmo they give you in a restaurant to signal you when the table or your order is ready.

As you might tell, I'm not the type of person that camps in line for three days to pick up Harry Potter and his new Wizard Phone.

16. Pen-y-gors

Hacking potential?

Oh the fun!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hacking potential?

"Synchronised swimmer mode....ENGAGE!"

1. Darryl

Re: Hacking potential?

Shriner mode?

https://youtu.be/3164n5iMLqA

17. JetSetJim
    Facepalm

Limited

But if the "buffer" overflows, no-one will know how to queue for the next available chair...

18. Pen-y-gors

Unnecessarily complicated

What's with all the individual chairs and control systems? Much simpler to have a nice padded conveyor belt which just advances one place when it detects that the end space has become empty.

19. Natalie Gritpants

Bit jerky

Not the vid, the chairs. Do they work when running on coffee splattered floors?

20. oiseau
    WTF?

End of times

I'm sure there's a place in hell for both the DHs that came up with this absurdity and the certified AHs who decided to actually put R&D money into it.

At a time when the world is desperately needing solutions to real problems (water, energy, health, etc.) seeing a corporation such as Nissan spend on this utter crap is really quite annoying.

End of times indeed ...

1. Mark 85

Re: End of times

Indeed. I'm not sure why the moving chair is even necessary. What's the use case except to give those who are lazy a place to sit. Before I get jumped about the "what about the mobility impaired"? I've seen very few places where seemingly healthy people will stand up and offer a seat to someone with an obvious impairment.

21. Toltec

Missing functionality

Given these could know their position in the queue without actually physically being in a queue they could integrate Tinder, Grindr etc. so the passengers could do something more interesting while waiting. Some kind of countdown estimated front of queue could spice things up a bit.

22. smartypants

Design tweak needed

If you got up mid-way through your wait, you'd lose your place in the queue...

They can fix this by making all the seats portable loos instead. That way you will never lose your place(tm).

The future is very exciting!

23. Sealand
    Stop

Wait for Apple to pick this up

So at the launch of the iPhone 8, we can expect to see lines of chairs waiting to get a phone? And of course, said phone model will be running iOS 11 which includes a ChairKit API.

Does this qualify for an igNobel nomination?

24. ChrisC Silver badge

I wonder if OK Go are planning a sequel to the "I Won't Let You Down" video...

25. adam payne

Interesting idea but takes up quite a bit of space though.

Is the system drunk people proof?

Is there any ejection system for queue jumpers?

26. disgruntled yank

Golly

Next somebody will invent the powered wheelchair.

27. Mike Green

Wall-E

Who didn't first think after seeing the new chair in Wall-E, "Okay, so everyone will be fat within 2 weeks..."?

28. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: We know where you live - Ed

"Come at me. See what happens."

-- Dr. Bernadette Maryann Rostenkowski-Wolowitz

29. mosw

Trains, Planes and Theaters

Think of the possibilities.

These chairs could be used to pack more people into a given space. You would not need any aisle to walk down, the chairs (and people) would just flow around you as you walked through. No more getting out of your seat at the theater every time some one in the middle needs out.

The chairs could automatically remove anyone from the theater that talks to loud or uses a phone during a performance.

30. ChaosFreak

Dammit! I thought of that years ago

Should've filed for a patent...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like