back to article Facebook's AI boss is on a mission to end spoon-fed machine intelligence

Unsupervised learning is a problem Yann LeCun, Facebook’s AI guru, really wants to crack. It promises to lead researchers to a next generation of AI – one where machines have higher intelligence and can perceive the world and act accordingly – something we call common sense. Talking to the crowd at the O’Reilly Artificial …

1. Chazmon

Spoon feeding will always be part of learning indeed how many people need to literally taught how to use a spoon? All of them, indeed humans still need to be taught things their entire lives.

Hopefully this will lead to better learning but I think we are still a long way off from true AI. I also hope this goes into something marginally more useful than identifying brands in pictures!

2. John Lilburne

Tanks in Poland

"it’ll help researchers build more intelligent machines, and maybe a deeper understanding of human intelligence and the underlying mechanisms of learning."

We heard all of this. Their AIs remain crap in most situations. See this latest Google AI crap:

https://www.wired.com/2016/09/inside-googles-internet-justice-league-ai-powered-war-trolls/

You can test it out here:

https://wikidetox.appspot.com/

Though it may have been the input of wikipedia that made it as crap as it is:

"Our tanks will cross into Poland at dawn"

not attack: 0.96

attack: 0.04

aggressive: 0.01

neutral: 0.98

friendly: 0.00

3. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Unsupervised learning

All animals have some form of supervised learning, usually delivered by a device called a "Parent".

What makes Facebook's AI wonks think they can beat thousands (millions?) of years of evolution in learning?

1. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
      Boffin

Re: Unsupervised learning

"What makes Facebook's AI wonks think they can beat thousands (millions?) of years of evolution in learning?"

Remember, Facebook is just intellectual masturbation. So that is how their AI folks are oriented.

4. Not also known as SC

How Intelligent is Intelligent?

Would these systems have/need a greater level of intelligence than self-driving cars? Reading the articles about autonomous cars,the AI needed for an autonomous car is just about there, or so it is claimed. However this article suggests that a lot more work is still needed just in general.

Am I just confusing two different types of AI?

5. WalterAlter

Neural Networks are so Yesterday

http://numenta.com/

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What an incredibly stupid idea - like letting every new baby learn its way with no supervision.

More Deep Hype.

7. Fan of Mr. Obvious

Head start

AI does in fact have to receive instruction up front, but then it is expected to continue to enhance its own learning at some point. I have never listen to a lecture or read an article that outlined AI being able to start from a blank canvas. As for the continued collection of information required to continue learning, sensors, cameras, mics, a robot in every room, will all be data collection points for something that is able to continually learn.

Still, I am not gulping the cool-aid. The human brain includes more than the four senses and memory when reasoning - it also includes emotion, and for some, faith. The latter two are in my opinion, critical omissions when the elites preach about AI surpassing the human brain by 2025. Now of course I suppose we could require the world population to be implanted with sensors for emotion at birth to at least eliminate one part of the equation, but by then we may as well just lest AI eliminate humans.

The elites acknowledge that a human problem (possibly catastrophic in nature) could happen if AI is able to outperform humans, but that is kind of where it ends. The potential reality that AI could displace millions of jobs, collapsing both the supply and demand side of economies, is not something that to them, is more important than progress in the field.

AI may be solving logic problems in my lifetime, but I do not see it solving human problems. And even if it did, us squishies are likely not going to listen. After all, the solution would probably be racist or something like that.

8. JustNiz

>> let computers off the leash with unsupervised learning

and so it starts... muhahaha

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like