back to article Argos tech team updates iOS app with helpful info on 'eleventy-billion toilet seats'

Strange things are afoot among the developer team at Argos, it’s just not clear if an ill-judged lunchtime trip to the boozer, hijincks related to the recent £1.4bn takeover by Sainsbury’s or a rogue staffer are to blame. Argos screengrab from reader's phone.... Screengrab from the iPhone of a gentle Reg reader... The iOS …

1. Alan J. Wylie
    1. I am the liquor

Re: Sky hooks and tartan paint on sale on line

That is a magnificently old-school web site - complete with "under construction" banner on the welcome page.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

On a short work stint on a building site they tried a few on me, including trying to get me to go to the foreman for a long weight[sic]

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I know someone who was sent (in a university lab) off to fetch a bucket of steam. He arrived back a couple of minutes later with an inch of water in a bucket, threw it over the person who had made the request and said "Sorry, it condensed."

2. Tam1

ipad app also full of banter

Argos for ipad app is slightly differently worded and offers free chewitts for those of us who upgrade :)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Perhaps doing some research, rather than jusk asking for comment.

The Android Argos app has been getting humorous app update descriptions for well over a year. It's clear it's nothing to do with Sainsbury's takeover, and it's not even iOS specific.

Keep up.

1. Test Man

Re: Perhaps doing some research, rather than jusk asking for comment.

I was going to say the same - Argos updates have always had "humorous" updates. Nothing to do with any parent company sale, obviously, just the sense of humour of the person in charge of submitting the updates to the Play Store.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They always do that

Every Argos update has that kind of style update notes.

Nothing new, there are actually a few other apps that also have witty update notes.

Do twee an issue with it, it's Just as useful as saying 'fixed some things' with other developers put.

1. BlackDuke07
      Facepalm

Re: They always do that

I was going to say the same thing. Maybe a little more research was needed in this article, instead of making wild assumptions... because we all know who assumption is mother to.

5. Ol' Grumpy
    Thumb Up

Good for them! Nice to see some humour it otherwise dreary release notes.

6. wolfetone Silver badge

Fair Play

The guardian of the laminated book of dreams that catch the tears of joy have a sense of humour, and I'm glad that those of you who don't like looking through the laminated book of dreams or having a physical laminated book to catch your tears of joy have had a chance to experience it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Fair Play

Upvote for the Bill Bailey reference :)

7. Doctor_Wibble
    Mushroom

No no no it's JINKS not jinx!

Sorry, can't let this one go - it's "high-jinks" or "hijinks" or possibly "high jinks" and nothing to do with an altitudinous negatively-biased serendipity*.

And aside from that I don't understand the need to rebrand, I get loads of stuff from there and you'd have to do a lot to put me off.

* though I could be having a dictionary-fail moment.

8. Andy Non Silver badge
    FAIL

Argos website is faulty too

A couple of days ago, I found a bookcase I wanted to reserve on their website; duly added it to my basket and was prompted to specify my postcode or town. It then brought up a window that showed a spinning busy image then nothing. Couldn't get any further. Ended up having to phone their ring and reserve number and do the reservation on my phone. Crap website.

1. Andrew Jones 2

Re: Argos website is faulty too

You could of just reserved it by SMS, saves having to phone people....

1. not.known@this.address
        Headmaster

You could HAVE !!!!! Not could of, FFS! It's really not that fricking difficult.

Still, at least you didn't manage to put 'alot' in there, like A LOT of people do (clue - it's two words, not one. Or, a letter and a word if you want to be picky)

Sorry, long week at work (and yes, I know it's only Thursday...)

2. tiggity Silver badge

If you have security measures in your browser e.g. script blockers on could well have been due to that - very rare is the e-commerce website that does not run lots of scripts (& often scripts outside it's domain), so if you are only set to allow scripts from that domain often get hanging pages

9. whatevs...

This warranted an article? FFS El Reg! I want those 5 minutes back.

10. David Austin

Nintendo Stability

Rather have more than less...

http://www.nintendolife.com/tags/stability

11. User McUser
    Devil

Gas leak hallucinations?!

No no no... They're just dead and in hell.

You know, because they played D&D in the 1980s.

12. fahadhabib

Don't forget Play Store

WHAT'S NEW

It’s been fling-flanging boiling at Argos HQ lately. So we’re happy to bring you a breath of fresh air in the form of our re-designed product details page.

We all think it looks really cool, and hope you will be a fan and… we genuinely thought it would be easier to think of better heatwave-based puns. *hangs head in shame and sends CV to The Sun*

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.homeretailgroup.argos.android&hl=en_GB

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like