back to article Android Studio 2.2 debuts

If your Android developers are a bit excitable today it's probably because Android Studio 2.2 has landed. Google says there's more than 20 new features in this release, several designed to help you take advantage of new features in Android's Nougat release. The Alphabet subsidiary singles out the following as the new thing it …

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

Does it have an API

Whereby all applications have access to everything automatically, whether there is a logical reason for them having access or not?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Does it have an API

Not sure you understand what this is - it is an IDE & designer for developing Android applications.

If you want to develop an application to have permissions for everything, you have to create a request for each individual permission within your app and the user would have to accept each of those permissions one-by-one but you would need to fall back if a permission is refused.

2. Steve Evans

It actually seems to be coming together rather nicely.

Installation was a breeze, much easier than earlier versions I'd played with... apart from one thing... Intel haven't signed their HAXM virtual device driver, so if you have a newer PC/Windows, you have to disable the safety net first.

Nice one Intel... Muppets!

3. CAPS LOCK

Justaskin'

Is there a way to create simple apps for Android and iOS simultaneously?

1. Ryan.T.Student

Re: Justaskin'

Not simple so much, but if you want to make games you'd want to look at Unity, Game Maker or LibGDX. For applications, Xamarin can be used but it's a pain in the arse and far from simple, while phonegap is simpler but has poor performance. The choices aren't great, sorry.

1. stephanh

Re: Justaskin'

Actually there are more alternatives.

Cordova (Javascript)

Qt5 (C++)

Cocos2d (Lua, C++ or Javascript)

All these compile to Android, iOS and desktop OSes.

4. rogyrog

Hello everyone.

Can you pls tell me which framework you use while building the app.

Usually, I build my android app in API level 8 and in Xamarin VisualStudio 3.11.590

I think you need to know more about the new features of Android Studio 2.2 with the range of new developments, including designing user interfaces and new ways to build and debug apps and I too understand that the new interface might confuse you quite a bit.

I guess this article ( http://www.cestarcollege.com/blog/news-and-events/new-features-android-studio-2-2/ ) can help you out to solve your issue. Do let me know if you further have any doubts.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon