back to article British mobile AI 'bot perfecter stalked by Silicon Valley – report

British AI startup, Weave.ai, is the latest company rumoured to be snatched up by a US tech firm in Silicon Valley, according to the Financial Times. Weave.ai was founded last year and has four AI engineers working in North Greenwich. The team are developing WeaveOS, an “AI-first” operating system (OS) for mobile phones. Co- …

1. Rick Damiani

AI will be fantastic

Once AI becomes a thing, there are all sorts of great things it will be able to do aside from finding Sara Conner. The trick isn't figuring out what it can do. The trick is making AI a thing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: AI will be fantastic

The goal is to declutter the notification system on mobile phones

So, you say it'll do "all sorts of great things"? Call me a cynic, but if the article is correct and the height of the developer's ambition is decluttering mobe notifications, then I'm all up for selling their business to the Yanks for a shedload of cash.

But then again, my phone spends most of its time with mobile data turned off, because I couldn't give a sh** about the sort of things it might want to bring to my attention.

2. Sebastian A

Re: AI will be fantastic

To be honest, I suspect any AI that can accurately be called that will be on the side of whatever corporation created (bred? imprisoned?) it and it will not be to anyone's benefit except their own.

Imagine a Google AI on your phone. Can you picture what little benefit you'd get out of that compared to what Google gets? To have it quietly singing ad jingles on your nightstand during your REM-sleep? To have it nag you into filling up at BP instead of Mobil with a hundred different very logical reasons despite the fact that the last time you stopped at a BP they treated you like crap and you just don't want to go there?

Now picture it instead being an AI controlled by your government. That strikes me as even more horrifying.

No, I think I'll wait for other people to test-run this stuff before I volunteer to give up any semblance of privacy or individuality.

2. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    WTF?

So using speech recognition to build cross application scripts

First rule of AI

Once it works it's not AI.

3. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    Meh

Two ways to make money from AI software:

A: Sell a complete system for $200 that makes life easier.

B: Free cloud connected app that manipulates people for profit.

I hope working AI isn't invented while Plan B is still in fashion. There are so many great ideas that can never turn into great products because people expect them to be crappy and free.

4. FuzzyTheBear
    Stop

AI it's all about where ?

If the data and processing is done " in home " on a PC and that the data used is strictly kept in home ,away from vultures like Google and Facebook , good , full speed ahead .. but if it becomes only one more way to pry into private lives ,feed the intelligence agencies and sell advertisement i say let it die.

I can already picture ...

" The answer to your question is brought to you by the makers of Nausea .. "

See what i'm saying ?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like