back to article Exploding public cloud just getting bigger, will be worth $200bn in 2016 – Gartner

The global public cloud services market is set to grow by more than 17 per cent in 2016. According to Gartner, cloud services were worth $178bn in 2015. This is set to increase to $208.6bn in 2016, higher than the nominal GDP of Portugal. This growth will be driven by cloud system infrastructure services, which are projected …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hummm

Although companies are continuing to make cost savings by adopting the public cloud,

One assumes that might be correct up to the point when it all goes titsup when the data centre goes down or someone cuts the internet cable. Then where are the cost savings, especially if they lose customers or have a data breach?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Hummm

"Although companies are continuing to make cost savings by adopting the public cloud"

I've finally got to the bottom of this statement - I've always kept a very tight leash on cost, hence my data centre costs always come in 50-60% cheaper than cloud, hence I always called BS at this statement!

Recently I moved jobs, I was not aware what the new company had in place when I accepted, but after investigation, I found we were getting fleeced by a IaaS provider, they signed a 3 year contract agreeing to pay high five figures each month, for kit that had a purchase value of about £50k!

Recently the company has been investigating AWS, like-4-like they believe will cost them £10k per month - It no wonder people are starry eyed! With competent staff, we could probably do better for < £6k per month.

It comes down to this - Companies end up in this position because they see IT staff as a cost, not an enabler, so they scrimp on salaries, training and investment. But they don't realise they pay for it 10x in other ways.

A/C to protect the innocent!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I read this somewhere, how much less do you spend by moving to the 'Cloud', the answer is none what so ever. What you save on staff and hardware you end up paying to your 'Cloud' provider.

2. Naselus

tbh, the only place I've seen Cloud with practical use is software houses who need to spin up large numbers of VMs for a short period of time for massive automated testing and then get rid of them once they're done.

Every other industry I've worked in, there's been zero cost benefit to going cloud-y - and often, it'll cost somewhere in the region of 25% more than a good in-house option would over three years.

3. ecofeco Silver badge

"It comes down to this - Companies end up in this position because they see IT staff as a cost, not an enabler, so they scrimp on salaries, training and investment"

Says it all right there.

2. Jess

I wonder how much of this business has been lost to the UK due to Brexit.

Or more correctly due to the mishandling of the whole thing.

Had we had an unambiguous question with respect to the EEA, then we would not be in such a mess.

As it was we had the leave campaign mixing these two totally different choices up, and only quoting the good bits of either.

Had the result been leave the EEA, at least everyone would know where they stand, and could concentrate on making the best of it.

Had the result been move back to the EFTA, then the whole thing would pretty much have been forgotten about by now, and business would be normal.

However we are now in the situation where any business with any serious EEA involvement will be sitting on their hands at best or at worst pushing investment elsewhere. If at the end of it all we are outside the EEA, then not only will we lose a huge chunk of EU businesses, we will also be years behind because of businesses waiting because they can't believe we would do anything so stupid. If we end up in the EEA, we will still be behind on all the investments that were postponed or relocated due to the uncertainty.

And this sort of business is one of the those which will really suffer.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I wonder how much of this business has been lost to the UK due to Brexit.

"I wonder how much of this business has been lost to the UK due to Brexit."

None what so ever, Brexit is being used as a pretext to implement layoffs.

2. Naselus

Re: I wonder how much of this business has been lost to the UK due to Brexit.

And I wonder why we have to have a debate about sodding Brexit in every damn thread now.

3. Gis Bun

Don't have to do too much "research" to know it will go up higher than 2015.... Hopefully they didn't spend millions on their "research".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like