back to article Apple killed OS X today and binned its $10,000 BlingWatch too

Amid all the glamour and excitement of the the iPhone 7 launch, Apple snuck out a few other nuggets, some of them a little unhappy. Reg readers administering Macs need to know that come September 20th Mac OS X is dead. It'll be replaced on that day by macOS Sierra and probably spur a download frenzy, accompanying social media …

1. J. R. Hartley

The title is no longer required

Apple products are no longer required

1. Kurt Meyer

Re: The title is no longer required

Amid all the glamour and excitement of the the iPhone 7 launch, I thought; "I must remember to clip my toenails."

2. danR2

The Last Symbolic Vestige of neXtstep

Gone.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: The Last Symbolic Vestige of neXtstep

Not quite: think of all those class names that start with NS…

2. ThomH

Re: The Last Symbolic Vestige of neXtstep

Isn't keeping the same name but making a random change in capitalisation very NextStep indeed?

3. Nate Amsden

why would a new version of android help tablet sales?

I'd expect the vast majority of the market to not give a shit what version of Android is on their tablet as long as it can run whatever apps or games they want it to run and it has the hardware they need. Unless of course there is a significant change in interface which causes users to revolt like windows 8.x etc.

I bought a toshiba android tablet what seems like almost 2 years ago now, it was a pretty good deal at the time, nvidia tegra something, bunch of ram, bunch of storage with SD card.. though it's sat on a shelf for 95% of it's life I don't know what to use it for. Anything that needs mobile gets done on one of my two Galaxy Note 3s (the 2nd one is not currently on any phone plan and has no personal data on it so in the event I need to install something like a chat app that wants insane permissions I do it on that device there is nothing to steal there.

I was going to try to use the tablet as an interface to one of my Tivos via tivo stream now that there is an Android app out that is compatible (my tivo stream has otherwise sat in it's box for the past 3-4 years). Though after 30 minutes of fighting it I gave up, the app crashed constantly and when it didn't crash itself the traffic it generated somehow caused my shitty wireless AP to crash and reboot as well. So the tablet went back on the shelf. Generally my wifi serves only light web browsing(or very occasional youtube etc), apparently it can't handle whatever tivo is dishing out.

My HP touchpads get more use than my android tablet (the touchpads sit in their "touchstone" charging stands and act soley as digital picture frames).

I'm sure some people have uses for tablets, if I had a really small phone then perhaps a tablet would be good but the 5.7" screen is good enough for me to even watch full length movies while traveling (helps to have ~140GB of usable storage on the device as well). Back when I had a HP Pre3 with it's what was it 3.5" screen with low resolution (relative to my 1080p phone now) the tablets got much more usage as web browsing devices.

1. Andrew Jones 2

Re: why would a new version of android help tablet sales?

"why would a new version of android help tablet sales?"

Because Nougat features better multiwindow support and coming a bit later down the line (although technically available now if OEMs want to enable it) multiwindow support with resizing and more than 2 windows at a time.... this video shows how it looks when you employ a bit of a hack to get it running before it's ready for the public - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmjHDKBnhTI

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: why would a new version of android help tablet sales?

That feature might sell a few thousand tablets to techies, but nobody out in the real world cares about it.

4. Andrew Jones 2

Half expecting a post on launch day explaining that El Reg were banned from being anywhere near any Apple store in the country after the article about attempting to get a press invite to the launch event.... and also possibly the "both of you" comment - which I'm still giggling about....

5. Wintermute
    Go

Sorry pedants, your time has come to an end.

Never again will I hear someone call the Mac operating system "Oh-Ess Ex" only for someone else within earshot to clear his throat and then smugly reply, "Actually, it's Oh-Ess Ten".

1. Raumkraut

Re: Sorry pedants, your time has come to an end.

So is the new name pronounced "macos" or "mac O S"?

1. Ralph B

I'm going with "macoze" (plural of "maco")

1. Ilsa Loving

> I'm going with "macoze" (plural of "maco")

For some reason I'm suddenly craving Taco Bell...

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Linker3000
        Joke

Fork Handles

No....O's....O's for Macs.

1. David McCoy

Re: Fork Handles

I cannot tell you how much I love that.

I'm sure Ronnie B would have liked it

3. Desidero

Macos makes me think of a colestomy bag for some reason. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Especially with easy handling Lightning Port for runoff.

2. Zippy's Sausage Factory

Me and a friend had a pact to always pronounce it "Oh-Ess Ex" just to annoy pedants.

One of our less successful pedant trolls, but it kept us amused...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Tautology

Me and a friend had a pact to always pronounce it "Oh-Ess Ex" just to annoy pedants.

I was in a German speaking area when OS X came out, and nobody told us it was supposed to be "Oh-Ess-Ten".

So "Oh-Ess Ex" it was, and it has stayed thus ever since.

Besides, "OS X 10.11.6" done the official way is a tautological "Oh-Ess ten ten point eleven point six".

3. itzman
      Coat

You got a light, Mac?

No, but I've got a dark grey Linux.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
        Gimp

"You got a light, Mac?

No, but I've got a dark grey Linux."

I hear LaTeX is better. Any colour you want.

6. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge
    Pint

Bit of a shame

It was, perhaps perversely, that five figure Apple watch that rekindled my interested in wristwatches, when I began to research what mechanical timekeeping devices you could get within that price limit. Being right on the edge of "high end" territory, a whole world opened up.

So thanks Apple.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bit of a shame

They're also a tad late with the whole ceramic thing - I actually have one of the early Rado ceramics and it still looks pretty much as good as the day I bought it (although the works inside have been upgraded - at one point it started to eat batteries and as I was living near their HQ at the time getting it serviced was easy :) ).

It's probably a defective bit of my personality that I wouldn't want anything white ceramic around my wrist - I'd be expecting an "Armitage Shanks" logo :).

7. Howard Hanek
    Linux

Like Old Times

With the new iPhone I visualize millions walking around yelling "....can you hear me? Can you hear me now? Can you here me? Just like old times but it won't be part of a commercial. It'll be real.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"both of you"

* Citation required. You sure it's as high as two?

1. Scroticus Canis
      Devil

Re: "both of you"

How did you know?

He will probably use the one on his left wrist to log on to macOS and the one on the right to log off.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

NFC login, shareable clipboards, etc?

Isn't that sweet, Apple are finally catching up with Windows/Android.

Expect to see breathless reports about how this Brand New Technology, no doubt designed by Steve Jobs and written on granite tablets before his death, revolutionises the world.

10. heyrick Silver badge

The demise of 16GB options

As iOS gets larger, the space left in a 16GB device gets smaller. And it's not as if the chips are so expensive these days.

1. D@v3

Re: The demise of 16GB options

thing that gets me is, yeah, fine, get rid of the 16gb, that makes sense, but don't have the available choices go 32, 128, 256. what's happened to the 64?

I currently have a 64gb 6s, because they did a similar trick last time, they had 16, 64, 128.

What's it going to be next time? 64, 256, 512 ??

11. Sealand
    Facepalm

So that's cutting edge design then ?

The high-gloss jet black casing is designed so that if you want to keep it shiny, you need to hide it away?

Design for the sake of the design - AGAIN - and not for the sake of the product or the user.

Can a knighthood be revoked?

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: So that's cutting edge design then ?

>Can a knighthood be revoked?

What for - offering adult customers a choice, whilst informing them of potential issues? Or for offering a shiny black finish that doesn't use a costlier, harder ceramic material, a la RADO or Rolex?

Levi Jeans are available in white... and whilst they are no more susceptible to retaining dirt and grime than their blue counterparts such stains will be more visible. If this is a problem for you, we suggest not wearing them at a music festival. Such stains do not impede the primary function of the jeans, that is keeping your legs warm and your underwear hidden.

Ultimately, it doesn't affect you or me. So why not rail against something that does, such as colour-matched bumpers on cars which show small nicks and scratches more than good ol' black ABS bumpers? It's our insurance premiums that help pay for repairs to car components that shouldn't be so susceptible to cosmetic damage in the first place.

1. Tim Jenkins

Re: So that's cutting edge design then ?

"the primary function of the jeans, that is keeping... your underwear hidden"

N.B. Does not apply to school-gate mums.

12. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Mac OS X is dead

Mac OS X never existed officially. MacOS was the "classic" OS and OS X was the NextStep based one. I'll stick with MacOS meaning the OS that comes with Apple's PC hardware and provide a full version number if required. Journalists who copy companies' writing styles such as macOS aren't journalists. macOS™ is merely a trademark.

1. Wensleydale Cheese
      Thumb Down

Re: Mac OS X is dead

"Mac OS X never existed officially."

Untrue.

Have a look at the text on the Snow Leopard Mac Box Set

The Mac prefix was dropped a few major versions ago (Lion or Mountain Lion?).

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Mac OS X is dead

@Charlie Clark; If you're going to be an anally-retentive pedant, you have to be very, *very* sure that you're correct.

The software was known as "Mac OS X" until circa February 2012, when the Mac prefix was dropped.

Would you like (for example) to see an archive of Apple's OS X.... sorry, Mac OS X Server page from 2011? Here it is.

Is that a box with a picture of a snow leopard and "Mac OS X Server" explicitly written on it I see before me? Why, I do believe that it is!

Hmm... here's another page with a massive great banner saying "Mac OS X Snow Leopard" at the top.

13. big_D Silver badge

So shiny you have to hide it...

What is the point of the high gloss finish, if you have to hide it in a case, so that it doesn't get scratched? Might as well buy an untreated aluminium one, hide it in the case and say you have Darth's phone... At least they aren't asking extra for the shiny finish.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: So shiny you have to hide it...

It depends upon whether your case is transparent. Otherwise, keep it in your jacket pocket away from your keys and loose change. This is true of most phones, regardless of colour or finish.

My cheap Huawei is made from ABS plastic, and bounces unhurt from concrete. It doesn't even eject its removable battery on impact, as Nokia 3210/3310 phones used to. Annoyingly, more expensive phones I've owned exhibited less will to live. If I had an iPhone, I'd have a large range of cases to choose from, including some fairly robust 'builder's spec' models.

2. D@v3

Re: asking extra for the shiny

except they are, as the shiny finish is only available on the higher capacity (therefore more expensive) models....

14. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Devil

"nasty WiFi messes at your place of work"

Fucking up the WiFi drivers on every major OS X release is a feature, not a bug.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "nasty WiFi messes at your place of work"

Fucking up the WiFi drivers on every major OS X release is a feature, not a bug.

Maybe, but I must admit to be puzzled by that remark as I have never had that problem, domestic or at work, and it's not like I haven't gone through quite some upgrades..

15. DrXym

Jet black scratches

I find this hilarious. Apple like to brag about their industrial design and they produce a super shiny version and the first piece of advice they give is, "put your high gloss shiny device in a bump case because we know it's going to scratch". What's the point of buying it at all if you have to hide it away because it will look awful if you don't?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Jet black scratches

What's the point of buying it at all if you have to hide it away because it will look awful if you don't?

I think they look better after they've been smacked around a bit.

1. Ralph B

> I think they look better after they've been smacked around a bit.

Certainly the "shattered screen" look seems to be popular with my kids and their friends. They stick a screen protector over the breakage to avoid cut finger-tips.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Trollface

You don't have to hide it away, you just put it on a plinth.

1. Runilwzlb

Gives me an idea. Think there's a market for iThing 'plinth' models? Sort of like Star Wars, Marvel, DC action thingies just for display? People buy non-working prop phasers, communicators, etc., so hmmm?

1. Kiwi
          Coat

People buy non-working prop phasers

Well.. A working prop phaser certainly could've seriously improved the quality of some shows!

3. Darryl

"What's the point of buying it at all if you have to hide it away because it will look awful if you don't?"

If you have to ask, you're obviously not part of the target demographic.

The point is, you can show off your shiny new Darth Vader iPhone to increase your coffee shop cred. Once the novelty (and the finish on the phone) has worn off, you put it in a case and wait a few months for the iPhone 7S or 8 or whatever to come out so you can start all over again.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

UK Prices Are Up

> And why the price of the iPad Pro is down US$50 for 128GB models and $100 for 256GB models?

Base model has gone up 50 quid here - the UK prices which have shot up right across the store - even factoring in the crashed Pound, it's still a UK price hike when you look at many other devices.

1. Velv

Re: UK Prices Are Up

When I saw the article say prices had dropped I immediately went to apple.com as I'd been considering an iPad Pro. Yes, the base prices had gone UP. Fortunately you aren't required to buy from Apple and I found Tesco and PCWorld still had them at the old price. Other retailers may be the same (I didn't check).

17. fruitoftheloon
    WTF?

The finish is so beautiful, and so hard

That it will show teeny scratches (ain't the laws of physics a bitch).

So PLEASE bug a case from us to cover it up.

I do hope Apple won't actually build a car (then again, they may only sell a few...)

Jay

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: The finish is so beautiful, and so hard

>I do hope Apple won't actually build a car

Existing car manufacturers from Ford to BMW offer different paint colours and finishes, from gloss to matt. Some of these finishes show up bird shit, mud, dead insects and small scratches from hedgerows more than others. I'm not sure why Apple offering the same in phones precludes them from the automotive game in your opinion.

Nor do I see a problem with Apple - or any other company - making clear to potential customers the limitations of their products. It's an anodised finish that will scratch, even though it looks (when new) like a ceramic that won't scratch in normal circumstances.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"I'm not sure why Apple offering the same in phones precludes them from the automotive game in your opinion."

Most people don't tend to fit and use their cars with bump covers on them either.

2. Felonmarmer

If they build a car then I think we will soon be told they are the inventor of the wheel.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yeah and then they'll sue anyone who releases a product with round, err, well anything!

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There was actually more missing from the iPhone announcement

Did anyone happen to notice the entire absence of any discussion about the glass used in the display? Remember the whole gorilla glass discussion? Where has that all gone?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: There was actually more missing from the iPhone announcement

And zero discussion about battery life for Watch2. Wonder why? Next Apple accessory: Battery Belt.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well, they already do battery sleeves for the iPhone, which is as close to an admission of low battery life as you'll ever going to get.

I would gladly "suffer" an extra mm in thickness for more energy storage.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I would gladly "suffer" an extra mm in thickness for more energy storage."

I'd consider an iphone if they made a 3.5" version which was twice the thickness of the current models. I might consider a 4" version. As it is, my demands on the size and shape of my phone mean I'm stuck with cheapo £15 to £20 (contract free) phones.... Someone is losing out on a lot of money on a sale there.

20. Lee D Silver badge

Great.

And the management tools for networks?

Because what if I DON'T want my users to be able to create swipe-tokens that log them in automatically?

21. Jonski
    Pint

"may show fine micro-abrasions with use"

I read that as "micro-aggressions" and thought it improved the sentiment.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

copy/paste, awwwwwwesome!

> If you've gone all-in on Apple, you'll soon be able to Cut something on an iPad or iPhone and Paste it into a document on a Mac.

Like a Psion to/from a PC, these last 20 years?

1. Kiwi
      Linux

Re: copy/paste, awwwwwwesome!

> If you've gone all-in on Apple, you'll soon be able to Cut something on an iPad or iPhone and Paste it into a document on a Mac.

Like a Psion to/from a PC, these last 20 years?

Hell, I've been doing that between Windows and Linux for some years as well, and across different machines even in different locations. Hardly a new idea or concept.

Although, since Apple started doing it 10 years behind the rest of us (remember when it used to be MS 10 years behind Apple?) they must've just invented it.

23. Snorlax Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Losing my memory

iPad Minis have also had their options trimmed: the fourth version of the device used to come in 16GB, 64GB and 128GB models but now only offers 32GB and 128GB variants.Ye olde iPad Mini 2 used to offer 16GB and 32GB models, but now offers only a 32GB model. Simplifying the range doesn't exactly scream huge demand.

A 16Gb iPad isn't much use as the user is left with 10-12Gb out of the box, before even installing anything.

I believe there was (or possibly still is) a class action lawsuit in the works regarding this very issue.

Paris.Only the gold 12.9" 256Gb iPad Pro would be good enough for her.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like