back to article SSP to PERMANENTLY shutter mega-outage bit barn

Insurance tech biz SSP Worldwide has decided to “permanently decommission” one of its data centres, following a huge outage that lasted for ten days. A power blackout hit SSP’s Solihull Data Centre on 26 August, which fried its HPE Storage Area Network. SSP was working with the US vendor to resurrect its systems when the work …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh how I laughed...

He added: “Throughout this process, our priority has been on restoring services as quickly as possible"

Yup. Definitely looks like that.

Insurance Age are having a field day with this ongoing saga.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Perhaps

Still having issues... could this actually mean that the HPE support people are still in India and waiting for their Visas to arrive.

Well as everything else seems to be moving to South Asia then why wouldn't all the support go there as well. no need for expensive locals at all.

Then Brexit comes along and may well make getting visas like the H1b lottery in the USA. good luck with that support model then eh...

3. theblackhand

I think...

..there may need to be a change in tense from "works with" to "worked with" in:

By its own reckoning the business works with "8 of the top 10 UK insurers, 4 of the top 10 global insurers and over 40 per cent of UK Brokers.”

4. Callam McMillan

Am I missing something

Sounds like there's more to this story. Any remotely competent data centre will have a double conversion UPS and backup generator, so how a power outage can fry a storage array is beyond me.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: Am I missing something

You're thinking of a properly funded data center, not one running on duct tape, spit, second hand equipment and tight fisted accountants.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Am I missing something

Hell, I run a double conversion UPS with backup generator (tested once a month) and these are for our personal devices! I can understand how what happened to them happened, from personal experience in the US Navy*, but people fails do happen in addition to hardware fails and in these types of situations you double-check everything each step of the backup/restoration process.

* reverse power breaker didn't trip during generator reverse-power detection test. Every piece of online electronics became a nice, very short lived battery to that generator turned motor. Ever seen solid insulation turned into a messy PCB soup, gaping holes in circuit boards and, even better, plugs literally blown off the equipment. Fun!

5. Chris Evans

"disappointment "?

"Once again, we would like to express our disappointment about the delay, "

Most of the apology seemed appropriate buy the word 'disappointment' really does sound right to me.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon