back to article Same job, different place: US salaries top DevOps pay packet poll

US techies are earning more than their counterparts in Europe, with those in California doing better off than their US peers. That’s according to Puppet Labs' fifth annual “state of DevOps” survey which found that not only are those on the coalface and those managing them on who work other side of the pond pulling in more, but …

1. Dead Parrot

Poor buggers

I get US$100k for tooling around rural NZ pulling dead rats out of printers and bitchslapping W10 installs. (The nice thing about working on the coalface: You get the pick of the coal)

Look at your cubicle

Now look at my office: http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6127/6035015560_556deb339e_b.jpg

Now look at your cubicle

Now look at my office: https://static2.stuff.co.nz/1396314570/640/9891640.jpg

It's OK to cry.

1. Rafael 1

Re: Poor buggers

But.. but.. DevOps *is* the future!

Puppet Labs said so. Why would they lie to us?

2. wikkity

How far to the nearest pub? My pint holding hand has started to shake at the idea.

3. Down not across

@Dead Parrot

Not in the US, nor in a cubicle. And no, not US$100k either (especially GBP takin bit of a nosedive).

Still... *cry*

4. ritey

Lot of sheep in NZ

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

BS survey does not account for cost-of-living!

California salaries are huge because the cost of living there is horrid! It's pretty much double the expense elsewhere for mortgages or rent.

I know devs that moved because "hey, double the salary!" and ended up eating ramen noodles and having 4 roommates just to survive. Most of them moved back as quickly as possible.

1. Chez

Re: BS survey does not account for cost-of-living!

Very much this. I make a fraction of that in a rural part of the US, but can afford my student loans, an apartment to myself, good food, and I just bought a new (used) car.

2. cyberworm

Re: BS survey does not account for cost-of-living!

That's exactly right. What's more, is that along with the salary increases, cost of living is rising substantially as landlords and others know that "these tech guys have money..." and are seriously making a cash grab for it.

The only real benefit to living out here is the weather (or lack of).

3. chris 17 Silver badge
    Coffee/keyboard

when's Corbyn becoming PM so he can bump my salary to what the US get?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Union Time

Lets form a union NOW.

We need to sort this pay gap.

I hereby found the Technical Workers And Tinkerers union.

Us TWATs must stick together.

If you are reading this then you sir are a TWAT. I wrote this so I sure as hell can be descrobed as a TWAT.

You, yes the pale speccy one in the corner. You are a TWAT.

Lets unite as TWATs to twat the Twats into submission.

Let us go forth and show the man what it is to be TWATted.

1. Dead Parrot

Re: Union Time

Do the Technical Workers And Tinkerers have agreed Fellowship Liabilities And Procedures yet? 'Cos I'll come right away.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

California?

This DevOps of which Puppet write: what was the role of DevOps in preventing the California/Google outage on August 11, as reported in

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/08/24/google_broke_its_own_cloud_by_doing_two_updates_at_once/

How much would Californian companies have to pay to get people with a real clue, as well as DevOps thought leaders?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Except

Except most of those positions are filled by people from india

7. blmayer062

Yeah, here in Kali cost of living for everything is off the charts. Especially for housing. Food costs more here than in Japan! And California is the #1 agricultural state! USD120K is just skating by in a condo (assuming maxed out 401K contributions, a no brainer).

Salaries are lower elsewhere because cost of living is lower elsewhere. Supply/demand only varies around the cost of living, and doesn't explain average differences between regions/countries.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like