back to article Olympic Committee wins gold for foot shooting

YouTube has pulled a video of a Free Tibet protest after receiving a takedown notice from the International Olympics Committee. The video, of a protest action at the Chinese Consulate in New York, was removed from YouTube and promptly reappeared on Vimeo, BlipTVand dozens of other video sites. At the time of writing it is even …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mark
    Paris Hilton

erm what?

How do the IOC have the right to make a takedown request on a video of a protest out side a Chinese Consulate in the US? I mean a little explanation would be great here....

Even Paris doesn't know why

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

brave?

You mean stupid yes?

Also even the Dalai Lama doesn't want a free Tibet, but instead a more autonomous Tibet. Only radicals and Westerners talk about a free Tibet.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Power of the Internet

If they hadn't tried to ban it; you wouldn't have reported it; and, I & thousands others wouldn't have considered watching it.

Now that I have, I learn more about the Chinese atrocities towards the Tibetans.

4. john oates

Mark

hello,

It was a DMCA request - copyright essentially. I was unable to find the actual takedown notice, or contacts for someone likely to tell me - YouTube use an Irish postal address to receive notices in writing - but...

The video included use of the Olympic rings - the IOC keenly enforces its copyright claim to the rings

see here -

http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2002/02/50275

cheers

5. censored

@ AC

"A More Autonimous Tibet That Retains Territorial Integrity, Protection And Governance Of China Without Sacrificing It's Unique Traditions And Heritage NOW!"

Doesn't really work as a slogan, though. Does it?

6. Tyler
    Thumb Down

The byline says it all

"Free publicity for protest video"

Call me when you post something interesting.

7. FlatSpot
    Joke

warning: Link contains drum and bass

..says John Oates, reaching for his slippers, pipe and 12" recording of Barbra Streisand Does the Classics...

8. Mark
    Happy

@John Oates

Ok, cheers for that, I guess it makes some sort of sense to someone...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Misuse of the words "Brave" and "Hero"

Isnt it amazing - a journo gets arrested and "bravely" reports his plight to us - bit like that d*ckhead in "Die Hard 2" (who gets tazered for his troubles) - I do wish that the media and others would not use the words "Brave" or "Hero(ic)" when describing these people !!! Its a bit like describing somebody who has done nothing but train for the past X years who wins a medal and is described as a "sporting hero" - WTF.....makes my blood boil......

10. Charles

@Mark

Just for the record, the rings are a *trademark*, not a copyright. Thus the complaint gets filed with the PTO, not the copyright office. Furthermore, there's no time limit for a trademark.

11. b
    Pirate

chinese communist pigs!

china is an empire, not a country:

http://www.tibet.net/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uyghur_people

the chinese people are not free, let alone these two groups living under the "communist" jackboot.

>:|

12. Dave
    Unhappy

everybody needs to look after their rings

We in the Cult of the Sanctity of the Ringpieces wholeheartedly and warmly embrace the entirely democratic Inturnashnul Ooopslympics Commisariat and their robust defence of their rings

What an arse-clenchingly ridculous reason for suppression of expression

13. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

"the Dalai Lama doesn't want a free Tibet"

"even the Dalai Lama doesn't want a free Tibet, but instead a more autonomous Tibet. Only radicals and Westerners talk about a free Tibet."

Actually, yes he does. He simply knows that the Chinese politbureau would never allow it, so he's trying to get a compromise for his people, because it's better than nothing.

Only morons and posters for the Chinese government would think otherwise.

14. Frank Thomas

@John: so no home videos then?

so I take that to mean that no one can have vacation videos of their trip to the Olympics?

if i can't take a picture of something on the street, then it shouldn't be on the street. restrain your trademarks from interfering with public rights in public places.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

@ AC

You really think the Dalai Lama doesn't want a free Tibet? That given a choice between a free Tibet and an autonomous Tibet he'd chose the latter? It's called diplomacy. China will never enter negotiations with someone who wants a free Tibet, an autonomous Tibet is better than no concessions from the Chinese at all.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

hmmmmmm

surely china would want the advertising seeing as all the "free tibet" t-shirts are made in china?

17. Webster Phreaky
    Jobs Horns

Free The iPhone / iPud /MacBook $50/mo Sweatshop Workers!!

Just remember the $50 per month - less living quarters and food charges - sweatshop workers, many under 15 years old, that make most ALL Apple products next time you plug in your iPud, admire your flaky iPhone and try or pray your MacBook boots up.

AppleTards = LibTard Hypocrites.

18. John Savard

I can't speak for the Gyalpo Rinpoche, but...

The people of Tibet, strictly speaking, don't need political independence. But they would like to be free to practice their religion fully, to have ordinary civil liberties, and to have ownership of the land and resources of their historic homeland.

One of the ways to obtain these things would be for Tibet to become a fully sovereign nation, independent of China, and, given the horrors of the Cultural Revolution in the past, which took place under the same Communist institutions as govern China today, that would be the most solid and trustworthy way to obtain these things securely.

So, no matter how much the Dalai Lama may disclaim any desire to break Tibet away from China, as long as he continues to criticize China for how it governs Tibet now, instead of supporting China and dismissing things like the torture of dissidents as mere trivialities, of course he will be suspected of harboring such ambitions.

Witnessing recent events in Georgia, I'm just saddened that Russia and China still exist in their present form - instead of being non-nuclear nations under joint U.S. and British occupation, to be followed by a lengthy period of colonial tutelage.

19. Lee T.
    Paris Hilton

@Webster

Don't be a prat webster - do you seriously think Dell/HP/any other major pc manufacturer's factories are any different? You sound like a 4-year-old refusing to eat his greens. No-one cares about your irrational hatred, you're worse than the chinese, and they've been brainwashed by a corrupt totalitarian state. Open your eyes, you fool, and realise that all software (and all hardware) sucks, apple sucks no more than any other, and you sound like a lunatic every time you draw (literary) breath and post another predictable, biased, no-paris-angle rant.

20. Steve Renouf
    IT Angle

@I can't speak for the Gyalpo Rinpoche, but...

"Witnessing recent events in Georgia, I'm just saddened that Russia and China still exist in their present form - instead of being non-nuclear nations under joint U.S. and British occupation, to be followed by a lengthy period of colonial tutelage."

WOT!? Like Burma & Uganda, for example? That sure showed them!

21. Tom

You think the Chinese have it bad?

What about the Welsh? New coin designs are out featuring the Royal Arms (google royal mint new design), which is a heraldic emblem representing the four countries of Great Britain - so thats England, Scotland, Ireland and ... errr .. England again.

Death to the imperialistic English! Free Wales!

22. Chris Hobbs

Superceded?

Yes, it's interesting how few people can spell superseded, isn't it?

23. Charlie van Becelaere
    Gates Horns

@ Tom re Free Wales!

Right on, brother, but what about Cornwall? What about Cornwall!?!?

evil billg because I'm sure he's at fault here as well, bastard.

24. Scott

We weren't always wrong...

"WOT!? Like Burma & Uganda, for example? That sure showed them!"

Or perhaps like Italy, Germany, and Japan -- you know, the ones we succeeded with.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

@Tom

>Death to the imperialistic English! Free Wales!

Please DO free the rest of the UK from the sullen/sodden lump of rock known as Wales. Hell, even their prince doesnt live there !!

Bloody whingeing Celts, never stopped moaning since the Romans arrived and made them take baths and stop p*ssing in the streets .

The reason there aint no dragon there is obvious, the rest of the UK see Wales as one of thoses elderly aunt type of characters. You know the one, smells a little odd and says embarassing things to your friends. The one you would rather be elsewhere.

FREE WALES

26. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

@"@Tom" AC

It's more that the Irish are too drunk to draw dragons on flags, the Scots are too tightfisted to change theirs and the English... well, the English just don't care about anywhere outside London.

And for your information, Wales (and the rest of the UK) probably has some of the best street-pissing weather in the world, what with all the rain to wash it away with and all.

Their prince doesn't live there because he doesn't like being away from his mummy. The GM-and-computer-games hating eejit...

27. Goat Jam
    Black Helicopters

@b

"china is an empire, not a country:"

The same can be said for the U.S.A.

Do you have similar issues with the rank self interest and rabid imperialism that emanates from Washington DC, and has been nigh since WW1?

28. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

re: Wales

Is it even a country? I thought it was a bit of the country where the weather so bad that even the Romans didn't want to go there.

See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vh-wEXvdW8

Mines the one with the holiday home deeds in the pocket...

29. Kent Rebman
    Thumb Down

So, what's new?

The IOC is enabling the Chinese just like they enabled Hitler. So what else is new?

30. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

China

You bloody hypocrite hippies. The only reason anyone is still shouting the stupid free tibet mantra is because its fashionable (celebrities do it). I'm South African, do you hear me whining about the concentration camps and the scorched earth policy of the Anglo-Boer war, or the corruption that is still taking place under UK (and other european) companies with the full knowledge of the government who is not willing to investigate it?

The UK, EU and US (therefore also UN) are all just as evil and corrupt if not more than China. It seems tat as long as the terrorists aren't targeting your country you call them freedom fighters. If I called the IRA freedom fighters I'd probably get arrested in the UK...

31. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Where?

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40143000/jpg/_40143516_wales_grab_203.jpg

32. Dr Patrick J R Harkin

@Censored

"A More Autonimous Tibet That Retains Territorial Integrity, Protection And Governance Of China Without Sacrificing It's Unique Traditions And Heritage NOW!"

"Steady Progress And Limited Disobedience While Retaining Well-Formulated Good Manners!"

"Gently Push Over The Forces Of Repression!"

33. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

warning: Link contains drum and bass

er - no it doesn't... how dare you get my hopes up - learn your music genres fools!

34. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

@ Tom

"The winning designer is 26-year-old Matthew Dent, originally from Bangor who now lives and works in London as a graphic designer. "

That would be Bangor in Wales then would it?

35. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Dr Patrick J R Harkin

The Great A'Tuin salutes you!

36. Andy Taylor

Thanks to the UK Government

The law here makes the use of the word Olympic(s) extremely restricted along with gold, silver, bronze and 2012...

37. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

FREE WALES

... can we free England instead? Sort of - we'll get the sensible parts of England together with the Welsh, Scots and Irish (if they'll have us) and build a bloody great wall around the M25 and leave the Government/London to themselves and leave the rest of us in peace?

Cantii Invicta!

AC as my family is from Kent - London is too damned close to them.

38. Brian Wright
    Happy

@Tom

Great Britain is Scotland, England and Wales, you are thinking of the UK which does include Northern Ireland, I'm sure the Irish ( You said Ireland) would be surprised to hear they are part of either.

39. Dr Patrick J R Harkin
    Happy

The Great A'Tuin salutes you!

Thank you, Anonymous Coward! I don't suppose you'll be at the Convention next weekend?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like