back to article Shadow Broker hacking group auctions off claimed NSA online spy tools

A group calling itself the Shadow Brokers has started an online auction for top-of-the-range tools it claims were stolen from the Equation Group, a digital attack squad linked to the NSA. The Shadow Brokers posted up news of the auction saying (in broken English) that they had been monitoring the Equation Group's servers, had …

1. a_yank_lurker

Claims vs Proof

In the shadow world it is easy to make plausible claims but proof is elusive.

2. ammabamma
    Childcatcher

Genuine Equation Group boot sale! Totally honest, fell off the back of a USB stick and all...

> Looks like a random collection of files, grouped under names that were gathered from Snowden documents.

Hell, I give you all that and more for 1/1000 of the price! In fact, give me an additional 100 quid and I will even throw in a complete codebook that will allow you to decode AManFromMars' posts!

---

#!/bin/bash

while IFS='' read -r line || [[ -n "$line" ]]; do

size=$(( (RANDOM % 128) + 64 ))

dd bs=${size}M count=1 if=/dev/random | \

base64 -w 64 > ${line}.txt

done < Equation_Tool_List.txt

---

Decryption of the files is Left As Exercise For The Reader™

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Genuine Equation Group boot sale! Totally honest, fell off the back of a USB stick and all...

Taking a quick look through the files, there appear to be files that target a number of older Juniper Netscreen and Cisco ASA firmware releases.

Whether they do what they say on the tin is another issue and would require further testing....

3. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Paying for Nothing that does Something is a Great Value Product to ReCycle and Driver

Re: that additional £100 Genuine Equation Group boot sale headlined offer from ammabamma

Hmmm? Howdy, ammabamma,

What is there to decode and reveal, other than one's own AIrelative position in a novel virtual situation with ennobling passing realities, whenever everything is freely shared in plaintexted English for easy global feed and seed translation into alien tongues ‽ .

MainStreamNews and FlashCashMedia are not there being used to Guide the Arrogant and Ignorant Masses on the High Way, whenever they and IT engage in Black Chambered Dark Webs which aspire to conspire to hide and dim and dumb down Future Paths.

Such is a right hellish job though, with no rest ever left for the wicked, and thus be all so wedded and embedded systemically catastrophically doomed to spectacular failure when, well, the Heavenly Truth be outed with Deliveries Open SourcedD via Global Operating Devices would quite magically start a whole new chapter with quite different underpinning beginnings.

1. Alister

Re: Paying for Nothing that does Something is a Great Value Product to ReCycle and Driver

Yep, you surpassed yourself there amfM1, almost lyrical in places.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Re: Paying for Nothing that does Something is a Great Value Product to ReCycle and Driver

Yep, you surpassed yourself there amfM1, almost lyrical in places. .... Alister

And this is one of those new fangled and entangling NEUKlearer HyperRadioProActive Sub-plots in ITs unfolding and AI exercising of new abilities and facilities, Alister. ........ The Deep State's Catch-22

Deny the virtuality and actuality is real, and be proven deluded and rendered excluded from future systems of remote dramatic correction.

4. solo

Github pages taken offline

Tools don't hack...people do.

Where is the National Rifle Association now. I want my RIGHTS back.

5. tricycle

This was without a doubt, an insider leak; a Snowden 2.0, if you will. Someone working there stole the data and is now trying to pass themselves off as a foreigner with fake broken English. The naming convention used in the downloadable files can only be seen internally as it's gapped.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Shadow Broker was one of the baddies in the game Mass Effect. A dodgy trader in information. In Mass effect 2 or 3, one of the good guys took over the network. There's your nerdy fact for the day. Good name.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

" In Mass effect 2 or 3, one of the good guys took over the network. There's your nerdy fact for the day. Good name."

ME2 in fact, in Lair of the shadow broker dlc. Really good and a unique and totally scary NPC at the end.

1. Dan Wilkie

But still fell before the might of my glowy eyed peeling skinned cybernetically enhanced hero of mankind WHO DEFINITELY ALWAYS CHOSE THE PARAGON OPTIONS. ALWAYS. UNDERSTAND?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What if said shadow hacking group was actually.. the NSA. NSA peddling their malware... yeah, great way to infect people you have been trying to, but failing to, infect.

8. noodle heimer

Analysts are saying it looks like the real deal

The folks who first IDed the Equation Group at Kaspersky are saying the binaries use encryption the way the EG uses it, and consider that to be good evidence this is a real exposure.

At least one ASA vulnerability is new and useful, a good insider attack tool.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like