back to article Lab-grown black hole proves Stephen Hawking's radiation claims – physicist

A physicist claims to have created a sonic black hole to observe Hawking radiation and its quantum weirdness, all within the safe confines of his laboratory. The gravitational pull of a black hole was once assumed to be so strong that no object or light could escape once it was dragged beyond the event horizon, making it …

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Headmaster

It begins!

Please El Reg, can you get Natalie Wolchover from Quanta Magazine on retainer to re-read locally generated articles?

The energy was in the form of electromagnetic radiation - later known as Hawking radiation

Note so "Hawking radiation" is ANY kind of radiation - photons, gluons, Higgs, you name it ... anything that can be kicked out of the vacuum neverending supply of stuff. This is that much different from what happens in an LHC collision point - only here the energy comes from the Black Hole mass.

But otherwise this seems a good article, keep it up!

2. 1Rafayal

This is the sort of article that made me visit The Register in the first place.

Would be nice to see more articles like this make a come back.

1. ma1010
      Thumb Up

Yes

More like this, please.

3. Katie Saucey
    Unhappy

Lab-grown black hole

Stop teasing us with headlines like that! I glanced at it and for a brief second, and had hopes that just about the coolest thing ever had happened overnight. Once the first bits of caffeine kicked in and my eyes focused on the first sentence, I realized I'd been tricked again into reading about reality. Quite interesting stuff, but where my frigg'n stargate already.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Lab-grown black hole

At 1.2 nanokelvin, I guess a real black hole *would* be pretty cool.

But trust me- I made one in a lab once, and it sucked.

4. emmanuel goldstein

Yo! sub-editor!

But in 1974, Stephen Hawking and Jacob Berkenstein dispelled that idea

That would be Jacob Bekenstein, you berk.

1. Spaceman Spiff

Re: Yo! sub-editor!

Danged keyboards! They keep mystiping...

5. True Thug

To see the effects of quantum entanglement predicted in Hawking radiation in the superfluid, it must be cooled below 2.7 nanokelvin.

I think you mean colder than the 1.2 nanokelvin the radiation emits.

6. Spaceman Spiff

The neat thing about physics research, especially so far out on the frontier of knowledge as this work is, is that progress is bit-by-bit. Great and creative work though! A lot of concrete knowledge of our universe will come out of it, for sure. FWIW, my father was an astro-geo-physicist and Guggenheim Fellow, and my wife is a particle physicist at Fermi Lab. Me, I'm only an engineer, but with a solid foundation in the sciences - Frank Oppenheimer was my physics professor in college.

7. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Go

Very neat piece of lateral thinking

Obviously the question (as with all analouges) is the analogy accurate enough that the explanation of the behavior matches that of the real thing.

If so a very neat hack.

Phonon entanglement. Whatever next?

8. Shades
    Trollface

I'm confused

"Bose Einstein condensate to reproduce “self-amplifying Hawking radiation”"

Is this an article about Einstein and Hawkings sound-system battles?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm confused

Sound ... oh thanks for the reminder.

Entropy

1. Shades
        Thumb Up

"A Brief History of Rhyme"

Thats genius! Thanks for that :D

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Thank you for bringing MC Hawking to my attention, brilliant! Groovy physics indeed...

1. VinceH
          Thumb Up

Well it's no Symphony of Science - but, yeah...

1. jimbo60

Hmm...there must be some way to use this to get the audiophile nutties to part with a few more million. Phonon-damped speaker cables, perhaps?

9. This post has been deleted by its author

10. MT Field

Hawking radiation - what an idiotic idea.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like