back to article VMware pulls buggy NSX release from distribution

There's egg on face down VMware way: the buggy release of NSX we reported reported two weeks ago turns out to be so messy VMware's decided to erase it from history. Virtzilla on Monday (US time) issued a Field Advisory in which it announced “NSX for vSphere 6.2.3 release has been pulled from distribution.” If you're in the …

1. Milton

So ... what happened to "testing"?

I'm sure we'd all like to know.

1. 2460 Something

Re: So ... what happened to "testing"?

It is impossible to test every scenario. With that being said, it does seem that end users are being turned more and more into guinea pigs. We have been using it for over 12 months and have hit some really nasty bugs. Getting proper support has been ridiculous and they still haven't figured out what caused the problem of the latest one.

1. Skoorb

Re: So ... what happened to "testing"?

From what I have seen in various settings, the lack of testing these days seems to stem from teams embracing Agile, and using this as an excuse to roll testing into development work. So, rather than having a well staffed QA team who actually test everything for regression bugs and the like, you get developers writing feature specs using a few half baked "tests" that they are then expected to run themselves. QA as a profession has taken a serious haircut.

Also, Agile leads to a "release early, release often" approach, which can lead to less testing time with teams expected to produce an entire new fature in one "sprint", then chuck it out the door and hope for the best.

2. TaabuTheCat

VMware according to Dirty Harry

I know what you're thinking. "Did he regression test six modules or only five?" Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being this is a critical patch you need to apply to fix the last set of bugs we released and could blow your entire compute environment clean off, you've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?

3. Richard Rae

Microsoft didn't pull the version

But still funny to watch during the launch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiPLZj-8XoE

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like