back to article Upstart big iron storage supplier maintains monolithic momentum

Infinidat has piled up more customer wins as its InfiniBox arrays take more high-end storage array sales from the incumbents. In Infinidat's second 2016 quarter sales grew more than 60 per cent compared to the first 2016 quarter, and 100 per cent compared to the second quarter of 2015. It said one Fortune 500 financial …

1. Sandtitz Silver badge

More information please

422PB is a mighty number but how does it correlate with EMC, HDS and IBM? Is Infinidat making a profit? Undercutting the competition by selling at loss is always the easiest way to grow.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sales in Q1 = 1 Units; Sales in Q2 = 3 Units -> 300% Growth !

Revenue by selling at loss isn't a sustainable proposition - A Wise Man

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

funky maths

Growth numbers tell nothing about performance or chance for long-term survival. Revenue/margin numbers do. IHMO, just another storage startup lawn dart.

4. Rob Isrob

Not everyone has Office or Ad revs as Cash Cows

"Eventually we think these three will come out with revised systems that have Infinidat-class seven nines reliability and comparable pricing. Until then, Infinidat CEO Moshe Yanai's forward progress could continue for a good few quarters yet"

Microsoft can have a number of loss leaders , along with Google. Several other examples about. I've spoken on just what you've written in the above section to several folks. It's not that they can't. The development effort is huge. Think about EMC/Dell re-writing Enginuity again to do what? Create the same patented methods Infinidat is using? Do N+2 on components, maybe.. okay. So they hit the 7 9s. What about the nasty cost curves Infinidat introduced? You see IDC and how VMAX is doing, not good. So how do they make it up by selling cheaper systems - I'm not getting THAT idea. The other big iron players are in the same boat. These guys aren't Google/MS and will eventually whack or sell off severely under-performing divisions. It appears to me that Enterprise big iron is in a very nasty spot because of Infinidat. Maybe the hope is like Pure going away, Infinidat goes away and the others can return to the good old days of fatter margins. Maybe I'm missing the obvious.

5. Taube

Nothing Funky About These Numbers

Storage is a very competitive market in which, if you want to survive, you have to sell product at a profit. Its the only way to build a sustainable business and a principle of our founder and CEO Moshe Yanai. These numbers reflect the fact that we offer real solutions to customer problems at a cost effective price point. Try it, it works.

6. ocman

Is this a growth Market

Is "Big Iron" Storage a growing market or a shrinking market? If this market is consolidating, then why would a startup have a real chance to become profitable. I'm not bullish on the outlook for infinidat,

From what I've read, I don't really see significant differentiation. They have Mr. Yani's name and that's about it.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"From what I've read, I don't really see significant differentiation" ...so what have you read? a comment on a subforum somewhere or a piece of marketing material?? Go watch the Infinidat Deep Dive session from Tech Field Day last year, then come back and make a better educated comment. As an Infinidat customer, and having used IBM/EMC storage in the past, I can tell you there *IS* a difference. Just watch the video.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon