back to article Lowland Scots plunged into panic by marauding ostrich family

Residents of Ayrshire are living in fear of a marauding family of ostriches that have mysteriously appeared in the usually quiet Scots region. The Scottish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals issued an alarming bulletin today, warning residents of the home county of both Biffy Clyro and Nicola Sturgeon that at …

1. knarf

Ayrshire is NOT Glasgow

Get a map and use it

1. WolfFan Silver badge

Re: Ayrshire is NOT Glasgow

Scotland is Glasgow, except for Edinburg, which is worse. And the Shetlands and Orkneys, which are Norway.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Pretty sure your average up-his-own-arse Londoner doesn't even know enough about the Shetlands or Orkney to generalise them that specifically(!).

Scotland = Glasgow except the bits that are the Highlands, and they probably can't even tell which bits belong to which, so it's a tossup which stereotype they'll haul out.

Edinburgh might enter into things as a tourist spot they visited once, but more likely they know it as the place they venture up to for a couple of weeks in August to watch other English people putting on one-man plays watched by an audience of twice that size (#), then forget about for another year.

Seriously, "lowland Scots"? That's pretty redundant; most Scots live in the lowlands.

Ever notice how the jokey stereotypes get hauled out whenever it's a story about Scotland? I'm not going to claim this is racist, so much as a usefully-informative indication of how London and Little England think of Scotland (when they do at all, which let's be honest, isn't often). However, *if* a Scottish news source was to do the same thing- i.e. haul out a lazy English stereotype purely because it happened to be a story from England, you can bet the whining would be endless about alleged racism- not just from the English themselves, but from other Scots.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
          Trollface

Inside-UK racism?

Must be Pakistani taxi drivers telling bad jokes...

2. Triggerfish

Ever notice how the jokey stereotypes get hauled out whenever it's a story about Scotland?

If you are going to write about stereotypes being so bad.

You should remember how you started your missive.

Pretty sure your average up-his-own-arse Londoner doesn't even know enough about the Shetlands or Orkney

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

When you've finished putting words in my mouth, I'll point out that if you'd actually paid attention, it wasn't an anti-stereotype rant. (Nothing wrong with the occasional bit of fun with stereotyping). Rather, it was one complaining about how in a story that *happens* to have taken place in Scotland, that *in itself* is cause for humour.

As I said, if a Scottish paper regularly hauled out Apples-and-Pairs parodying and daaarn saaaarf mock-EastEnders accents for similar reasons, I'm sure some people *would* complain.

But since we're here, you're wrong that the "Londoner-up-his-own-arse" was a stereotype on the same level. (That would be more like parodying the typical Londoner as being a cockney from a Charles Dickens novel dressed like a Pearly Queen or King. In a news item that had nothing to do with that beyond the fact it took place in London.)

In fact, it wasn't a hauled-out-of-storage stereotype at all, but based on the *experience* that anyone who actually pays attention to London, its media and the people who work there for any length of time (who isn't ensconced in the same "metropolitan" (#) bubble) can see the mentality at work, that it's utterly focused on itself.

Then again, why would it *need* to look outwards? London's viewpoint and culture is the default of the United Kingdom. Listen to Radio 4 for any length of time, and you'll realise that not only does it disproportionately focus on Middle England (i.e. the English South East surrounding London), but even when it *does* cover other parts of the United Kingdom, the story is always implicitly filtered through that perspective. It knows who it is, it knows who it's playing to.

Few other countries- except possibly Japan- have such an excessively dominant capital, not just in financial terms, but also in cultural ones.

Observing this isn't stereotyping in the same way that half-arsed ignorance from someone whose knowledge of Scotland was gained from a shortbread tin and Harry Lauder imagery is.

(#) "Metropolitan", despite being a nominally generic term, always implicitly referring to London. (And not cities in the f*****g regions and provinces outwith the centre of the universe, obviously.) This in itself rather proves the point.

1. Triggerfish

Being an ex Londoner but a native of that area and therefore knowing many other Londoners, then I can say that basing it on the "experience" of what? paying attention to London and news about it? Failing to realise that a city with a population 8 million might show some individuatlity and are not all totally focused on London is absolutely a stereotype, if you get your impression from this perception, why then I would argue that it's almost like looking at Scotland and basing your perception on Begbie, Irn Bru and a Highland Shortbread tin.

Basically it's still half arsed ignorance, if you are going to complain about it, don't liberally apply it at the same time.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

@Triggerfish; Again, please read what I actually wrote. Specifically, that I said the "average" Londonder and not "every single Londonder is like this without exception".

Your comparison shares basically the same flaw as the one comparing stereotypes did. Specifically, no, what I based my information on wasn't analogous to your "looking at Scotland and basing your perception on Begbie, Irn Bru and a Highland Shortbread tin."

*That* would be more like me basing my perception of London on Mary Poppins, Pimms and a Tower of London souvenir keyfob.

A better analogy would be if you paid attention to the Scottish media and point of view day in, day out (if only because that was the one that was given to you as the "UK" viewpoint), and if you paid attention to politics in Scotland if only because what happened in Scotland dominated how the United Kingdom was run.

Imagine if Radio 4 was moved to Scotland and started reflecting the viewpoint and audience there as much as the current, supposedly UK-wide station reflects the values and viewpoint of Middle England. The indignant screeching from the home counties (#) would never end! :-O

In other words, no, it's absolutely nothing like what you said. You can keep on hauling out the counter-accusations and bogus comparisons to imply that I'm relying purely on stereotypes as much as the people I'm attacking, but that doesn't make it so.

(#) Again... now I write it, "home counties". The counties surrounding London- even the name reinforces the London establishment's viewpoint as being the centre of the universe.

3. Fink-Nottle

> Scotland = Glasgow except the bits that are the Highlands, and they probably can't even tell which bits belong to which, so it's a tossup which stereotype they'll haul out.

Get tae fuwk. Glescae huz grey grund. The Hielands huz green grund. Nae borra, pal ...

(Apologies to the Big Yin)

4. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

> That's pretty redundant; most Scots live in the lowlands.

I quote Runrig: "The Lowland Scot with English habits, Has brought me to his lowland manners".

So Runrig obviously thinks they are a thing..

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

@CrazyOldCatMan; Runrig come from Skye- an island just off the coast of the Northwest Highlands- and are strongly associated with the culture of that area, including their use of Scottish Gaelic (which has always been much stronger in the Highland northwest than in the (lowland) Central Belt). In this context and that of the song- which appears to be observing the nature and difference of the more Anglicised Scots living in lowland areas- it makes perfect sense.

In the context of The Register article, it doesn't add anything unless you think a Scot living in the lowlands is significant!

2. Halcin

May I suggest you re-read the article. At no point does the author suggest anything of the sort:

Apparently, ostriches in captivity can survive well into their early 60s - putting them about a decade behind the average Glaswegian male.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'm a bit fed up with the ignorant suggestion that all of the South is London.

Many of the complaints mentioned from a Scottish point of view could just as easily come from the mouths of those in large areas of Kent or Sussex and certainly from Hampshire, Dorset and points west.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"I'm a bit fed up with the ignorant suggestion that all of the South is London."

Personally, I'd always differentiated "The" South West (or rather, the South West of England) and "The" South East- and I'd never claim that the latter was London; Cornwall in particular I know to be quite distant culturally and politically.

However, the South East? I've never viewed it as being synonymous with London, but it's definitely within its event horizon and affected by it. It clearly shares many similar cultural and political values, in a way that Scotland doesn't. While it might feel that way to someone who lives there, don't tell me that someone in Tunbridge Wells has as little in common with London and the English establishment as someone in Scotland does.

2. Paul Woodhouse

umm... anything further S. of Milton Keynes is London, unless its Cornwall of course....

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"don't tell me that someone in Tunbridge Wells has as little in common with London and the English establishment as someone in Scotland does."

I worked near Tunbridge Wells some years ago and I'd say that a lot of people there have about as much in common with "the English establishment" as people I met while working around Glasgow. Obviously there are many more commuter towns feeding London in the south east than in Scotland but a lot of people don't fall into that category.

Tunbridge Wells has a certain, not entirely unwarranted, stereo-type associated with it but the outlying rural areas aren't like that, in my experience. It's also a small part of a large area.

I also came across people living in areas like Kyle of Lochalsh who had little in common with the "Scotish establishment" and little in common with either Glasgow or Edinburgh.

Once you come even 30 miles away from London you're often in another world in terms of culture and feeling at one with "the establishment". Perhaps the fact that Londoners voting in the EU referendum was different to those counties which surround it is an indication of that.

Even within London, Lewisham is not Muswell Hill.

I'm not a Londoner and I do find it irritating that sometimes the world seems to revolve around London, perhaps made worse by a lot of MPs forgetting that they've been sent there to represent us and not to join the establishment.

I also enjoyed visiting and working in Scotland and recognise that there is a unique culture there but perhaps not so much more so than some other areas of the UK. I'd also remind you that there isn't just one Scottish culture and that large cities have a habit of overwhelming the cultures around them and Glasgow and Edinburgh are no exception.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

With respect, yes, I do know that Scottish culture isn't a single, homogeneous entity and I'm not sure where you got the impression I was claiming otherwise...? (#) Matter of fact, one of my gripes is the reduction of Scotland to a simplified stereotype of one area or culture, i.e. every Scot is a Glaswegian, or a Highlander, or a mixture of both if you're lucky.

That said, your comment was still interesting.

Since you mentioned it, I didn't grow up in Glasgow or Edinburgh and- again- have frequently noticed that they (particularly the former) are too often taken to represent Scottish culture as a whole. I had already come to similar conclusions as yourself- that while I like Glasgow in many respects, its dominance nonetheless showed that even within Scotland we weren't immune from metropolitan bias.

(#) Unless you misinterpreted my distillation of the English stereotype of Scotland above (i.e. it's either Glasgow or the Brigadoon Highlands) as representing *my* actual view.....? I hope not!

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Well, my fellow AC, I was replying to your points mostly but I was also trying to make some points which I feel are often missed during discussion on this subject.

I hope you don't mind :-)

Everything these days seems to need to be black and white for media consumption, something which, it seems to me, has come across from our American cousins. We must hate or love things, there's nothing in-between and so there's "the" Scottish view and "the" English view.

1. Triggerfish

I would say just because somewhere is South does not mean the people from there are London centric, in the same way I would not expect someone from Hawick to be Edinburgh centric. In fact go somewhere like a small town countryside Essex and the attitude about a lot of things, will probably be closer to a small country town like Hawick than London.

Don't forget some places like Kent during the miners strike, they also had collieries, plenty of miners from North came down to support their strikes and vice viersa. I'd say those places might have a more shared history with somewhere like Settle in Yorkshire than the London banking elite.

2. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Ostriches versus Glaswegian males

I'd probably give it to the Glaswegian males. Now, if it were cassowaries, no chance.

1. phuzz Silver badge
      Flame

Re: Ostriches versus Glaswegian males

What if one, or both, of the combatants were on fire? Would that change the results?

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Re: Ostriches versus Glaswegian males

Probably not. But a hard Scotsman plus a trained cassowary could win the "War On Terror" on their own. Only problem: you can't train a cassowary.

3. Paul Woodhouse

pointless worrying about it now, poor ostriches'll already be battered, deep fried and scoffed.. washed down with a load of bucky no doubt too...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Big Birds don't last long in Bandit Country!

4. kryptonaut

Eggs

Their eggs weigh up to 1.4kg, and take up to a month and half to incubate.

Or an hour and a half to hard-boil before encasing in sausage meat and breadcrumbs.

Omnomnomnom.

5. Charlie van Becelaere
    Pint

Imagine the possibilities ...

Scotch eggs, my friends, Scotch eggs.

6. Ayronautica
    Pint

BBQ weekend in Patna?

"Perty at ma hoose, got a giant chicken on the barbie"

1. Paul Woodhouse

Re: BBQ weekend in Patna?

BBQ in Scotland? even if it does stop raining long enough, I don't think you can deep fry on a BBQ...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

Re: BBQ weekend in Patna?

Deep frying on a BBQ, no problem, put a empty drum on the BBQ half fill with cooking oil, place bird in drum and wait - from a distance

7. John Arthur

Really?

"Apparently, ostriches in captivity can survive well into their early 60s - putting them about a decade behind the average Glaswegian male". Shirley the ostriches live a decade longer than the AGM?

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Re: Really?

That doubtless depends on whether or not the average Glaswegian male is in captivity.

8. Howard Hanek
    Childcatcher

Not to Worry

Our avian friend will fit right in there. They'll probably knit him a kilt and induct him into a clan.

1. wx666z
      Linux

Re: Not to Worry

IIRC , we are a sept, not a clan. But we will take Big Bird, proudly.

9. bed

Really??

Patna is about 47miles from the centre of Glasgow so, from darn sarth, almost the same place. The usual media response, sadly lacking this time, to such unfortunate / unforseen / unusual events is to invoke the SNPBaaad meme - el-reg really will have to try better,

Apologies to those who find more important or interesting things to do than follow Scottish politics.

1. AbelSoul

Re: Really??

The usual media response, sadly lacking this time, to such unfortunate / unforseen / unusual events is to invoke the SNPBaaad meme - el-reg really will have to try better

They sort of did - last paragraph:

"Whatever the reason for the ostrich rampage, we presume it'll be Westminster's fault."

10. Commswonk

Furthermore...

Two points spring to mind...

1: If the ostrich does have any Glaswegian connections then a head - butting is more likely than a kicking. (Search on "Glasgow kiss")

2: It gives a whole new meaning to the expression Here you are youse looking at mah burd?

11. AndrewDu

Whatever, it will definitely be the fault of "they English".

Everything is.

1. AbelSoul
      Trollface

Re: it will definitely be the fault of "they English"

Well, I'm guessing "they English" are responsible for your spectacularly witty repartee so, if that's anything to go by, perhaps they're onto something.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The last time the news reported an ostrich at last - complete with pic from a member of the public, it was quite clearly a rhea, not an ostrich.

I await pics for confirmation that they have actually made the correct identification

1. Nigel 11

I suspect rheas can survive Scottish winters. Short of re-introducing the wolf, we may be stuck with them.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Up

then there are the Wallibies on the Pennines and North Yorkshire

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

There is a wild population of some 150 Greater Rheas in the north of Germany. In 2000, seven birds escaped from a farm and made it into a nature reserve, so they could not be hunted. Nobody thought they would make it through the next few winters, but they did. More here.

13. jake Silver badge

So shoot 'em & eat 'em.

I fail to see the problem.

1. phuzz Silver badge

Re: So shoot 'em & eat 'em.

I'd like to see you get a headshot on an ostrich running at full tilt...

14. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

The ostrich is obviously an African asylum seeker in costume...

If his asylum application is turned down, he can still stay on as an endangered species!

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is it just me…

or does the title pic make that bloke look one-legged?

16. Fink-Nottle
    Coat

Hamish : I wonder what noise a muckle ostrich makes?

Dougal : Hoots, mon.

17. Peter in Seattle

Wee, sleekit, cow'rin, tim'rous beastie ...

When Robert Burns, the Bard of Ayrshire, wrote that line, he was probably inspired by the vision of a visiting Glaswegian facing off against two seemingly identical, seemingly enraged ostriches on the ol brig over the River Doon (and thinking he maybe should have declined his host's offer of a wee deoch-an-doris).

Also, I'm half-Irish and half-Scottish; half of me wants to drink and the other half doesn't want to pay for it. (Two nationalities insulted for the price of one! Something every Scotsman can grudgingly admire!)

Also, a Scottish sergeant-major in full highland dress showed up at a chemist's, extracted the most ripped-up, rattiest-looking used condom imaginable from his sporran, and asked the chemist how much it would cost to repair... You know what? Maybe I'd better not finish that joke. People might mistake affectionate teasing for condescension or disdain.

1. Commswonk

Re: Wee, sleekit, cow'rin, tim'rous beastie ...

Also, a Scottish sergeant-major in full highland dress showed up at a chemist's, extracted the most ripped-up, rattiest-looking used condom imaginable from his sporran, and asked the chemist how much it would cost to repair... You know what? Maybe I'd better not finish that joke.

Then I'll do it for you... to cut a long(ish) story short the sergeant - major states "the Regiment has decided to get it repaired."

1. Peter in Seattle

In my version, the punchline was "The r'r'r'r'regiment has decided to r'r'replace!" -- conceding that even a regiment of dyed-in-the-wool Scotsmen place value above price.

1. Commswonk

What really bothers me (and I do mean really) is the length of time that has elapsed since I first heard that joke; definitely >50 years, and probably >55.

It had a lot of resonance at the time having been born and brought up in Scotland, albeit on the other coast...

Funny how either ending works perfectly well.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Will they survive the winter?

I don't think there's much cold weather in the areas they're typically found, is there?

19. Baldy50

Tastes better than haggis.

Catch em and re home them on Trumps golf course please.

20. David Neil

As an Ayrshire native I can assure you

The Ostriches will not be the weirdest birds in the Patna/Dalmellington area.

In fact if it's a single mum it will be right at home

21. You aint sin me, roit

Independence Campaign Turning Violent?

Exploding ostriches as shock troops...

22. Stuart Halliday
    Facepalm

Typical stereotype rubbish used to lighten up an otherwise boring article. It was one bird that escaped. So why use a headline that wasn't true? You just annoy your readership and doing it repeatingly means you get a bad reputation.

We in Scotland are tired of these silly articles about our lifestyle, culture, etc.

No wonder we want out & in.

1. Jeremy Puddleduck

"You" want out & in, not "we".

Speak for yourself, please.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like