back to article I don't like Mondays, Pokemon, Twitter or Facebook – Sir Bob Geldof

Activist pop star Sir Bob Geldof hates Pokemon Go, Facebook and Twitter, has never bought anything online, and uses a Nokia 3100 which he says avoids the need for mobile security. Sir Geldof Sir Bob and his Nokia relic. The muso and Irish punk-now-pop icon took aim at the meaningless obsessions of the modern world during a …

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Where's the money from Live Aid gone Bob?

1. 9Rune5

Obviously Bob got in early on the development of alternatives to 'classic capitalism'. Certainly, if you shove sufficient amounts of money to enough dictators, eventually some of that money will reach the poor. Simples.

1. AMBxx Silver badge

Fun comment in the paper at the weekend - having Bob Geldof front a concert in 2016 is like him having Vera Lynn appear during a Boomtown Rats concert in the late '70s.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@ Wolftone:

"Where's the money from Live Aid gone Bob?"

Mugabe's pocket.

3. MyffyW Silver badge

Where's the money from Live Aid gone Bob?

- Well some of it went to feed the starving. If the rest was an ego trip for Geldof et al, I can live with that.

2. AMBxx Silver badge

Brexit!

Irishman complaining about Brexit FFS. Is he worried he'll get less charitable assistance or somthing?

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Re: Brexit!

He hasn't been Irish since he sang Banana Republic.

3. eJ2095

This mean

We get a nokia 3100 ring tone of "Feed the world"?

4. Gene Cash Silver badge
    Unhappy

Sigh. Poor old ignorant geezer trying desperately to stay relevant by spouting loud opinions about things he doesn't understand. Sad.

1. Mark 85
      Flame

Isn't that what celebs do? A quick look-around and listen-to will tell you that probably 99% of them are blowing smoke out their butt and haven't clue what they're talking about. Sometimes there's disastrous results such as the "vaccines cause autism" bit.. They should just do whatever it is they do.. be famous and vacuous and keep their mouths shut.

I propose that we take these opinion spewing celebs (or has-been celebs), put them in a trebuchet. When someone yells "pull", everyone else can open fire on the screaming pigeon.

5. hplasm
    Meh

Angry young man

becomes moaning old fart.

6. Dr Scrum Master
    Headmaster

Sir Geldof?

1. AMBxx Silver badge

He's not supposed to use the Sir bit - that's only for British Citizens. They need a new award for moaning Irismen - start with Bob & Bono.

1. ToddR

Bob n Bono, equal irritants

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Himself

and Bono do seem to have a propensity for spouting shit when they have been out of the limelight for a while dont they. As well as not having a fucking scooby doo about what they preach.

* I like the boomtown rats, Bananna republic plays as i write this. It's his politico-social views i just find tedious.

1. chivo243 Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Re: Himself

@cornz 1

Yes, the blowhard marketing philosophy, once the wind doesn't blow your direction, you gotta do something really stupid and attention grabbing. Come to think of it, that is what my 6 yr old does.

Paris because we've not heard of her exploits in a while. Maybe she'll endorse encryption or something newsworthy to get back on top...

8. Dan 55 Silver badge
    WTF?

That's noted security guru Bob Geldof

Next up at the RSA conference, Musical Youth.

1. Huw D

Re: That's noted security guru Bob Geldof

Well, if they're passing the dutchie, I've got an excuse to attend.

1. stu 4

Re: That's noted security guru Bob Geldof

why ? If I remember from their appearance on Blue Peter, the 'dutchie' was a small wooden 'pot' that was 'ceremoniously passed around'.

9. Spider

Bob promoting Bob shocker

It seems the extension to his career he managed due to channelling funds to 3rd world dictators has worn off. Having tried screaming obscenities at working fisherman whilst claiming to be a "normal person" swigging champagne with his millionaire buddies on a floating gin palace didn't seem to work. So now he's trying hectoring on how tech he clearly has no idea about should progress.

With interpersonal skills, tact and self-awareness like this no wonder he was such a success at marriage and parenting.

1. Baldy50
      Stop

Re: Bob promoting Bob shocker

Thinking the same thing bud, brill!

2. Androgynous Cowherd

Re: Bob promoting Bob shocker

Possibly correct, but cruel.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I dont like bob geldof... but even if i did.

He's always angry about stuff, he can't just have a conversation. I find that really tedious in people.

He's welcome to have a grumble, but his negative bs is just tiresome.

If he'd taken a little time to consider what he was saying he might have dug up research that shows younger people are not joining facebook and twitter. Of course they are joining whatever is the next thing (and me being older, i have no idea what it is).

I wonder if he'd been born 50 years earlier he would have bemoaned the electric guitar.

Twat.

11. Awil Onmearse
    Thumb Up

Geldof the stopped clock?

Hard to say anything good about him in general , but can't fault the rant about FB, Twitter and that "Jamacian proctologist" game being useless shit.

12. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

I don't like Mondays, Pokemon, Twitter or Facebook – Sir Bob Geldof

s/-/and/

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How can he complain about Brexit when he's a non-dom anyway to avoid tax?

http://www.theweek.co.uk/africa/46949/bob-geldof-slams-reporter-who-lectured-him-tax-morals

I see capitalism works quite nicely for Sir Bob so why complain.

14. HAL-9000
    Coffee/keyboard

I don't like faded pop stars

Tell me why?

I don't like old popstars.

Tell me why?

Tell me why?

I want to shoot

The whole lot down...down...d.d.d.d.down

When they open there gobs

15. TheProf
    WTF?

WTF?

This man is totally out of touch. He didn't even mic drop.

16. Triggerfish

I don't need a smartphone.

I have staff.

17. Teiwaz

There has always been meaningless obsession and overhype.

I remember LiveAid. You really couldn't avoid hearing about it for months. After several weeks of the pre-concert hype, I had my first reaction to over-advertising and decided to ignore it.

Yeah Bob, Facebook, twitter, pokemon-go are the same, While pokemon will go away eventually like your overhyped 1980's concert, and your abyssmal comunication style, Facebook and it's ilk will try to stay in your face. Just ignore it, if all you use is an old nokia, that shouldn't be too hard.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bob Geldof

He looks like a tramp, rants like a tramp and we now know that he uses a Nokia 3100...presumably like a tramp.

He'll be rolling his own fags and shopping at Aldi next.

Is he the worlds richest bum?

Any vagrants here willing to embrace Geldof into your burning oil drum gang?

19. Baldy50

Just a thought

If he'd stayed with the 'suicide blonde' Michael Hutchence might still be with us and maybe a few more kids with stupid names to laugh at.

20. ToddR

In the event of BREXIT, didn't he promise to:

a) Give back his gong

b) Leave the UK?

Please keep the knighthood, as long as you f***k off from the country

21. strum

Interesting - when a bunch of commentards who have achieved nothing of note, tear into someone who has achieved a great deal. Priceless.

1. ToddR

Yep one good song, a great idea and then an opportunity to preach at the vast majority. You are welcome to him.

2. Dick Knuckle

@strum

I don't think anyone doubts Geldofs achievements but people with titles can be wankers as well.

E.g.

Rolf Harris

Phil Green

Jimmy Savile

Jimmy Savile did an enormous amount for charity...please back him up too I beg of you.

I think Geldof should posthumously give his knighthood to Freddy Mercury.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm sure if I had a publicist, agent and other lackies, I could avoid using FB, G+, Amazon and Twatter too...

23. Sgt_Oddball

soooo bobs not heard of the sun.

Or the mail et al.

Your phone doesn't need to be smart to be hacked (well at least the mail box at any rate).

Or the sim could be spoofed so his texts and calls can be intercepted. You never heard of those techniques?

24. Oengus

3 out of 4

Sir Bob Geldof hates Pokemon Go, Facebook and Twitter, has never bought anything online

I can concur with him on 3 out of 4... I have bought some stuff on-line...

It just shows that we really don't need social media to "define" ourselves...

25. Alienrat

Old man..

Old man in "All this modern technology is rubbish" shock!

All this modern music is all boom boom boom, and we didn't need entertainment like your 'pokeeymoon goes' in my day, we just had a hoop and a stick and that was good enough for us and "Hey you kids, get off my lawn". Oh did I say, back when was young I had big hit in 79 - almost as big as Cliff Richard and art Art Garfunkel!

26. Anonymous Coward
    Angel

No Different

He is no different in his opiions and knowledge base to many of your neigbours, even nationality, at least the non-Brexit voting ones. All that is different is that he is a fading celeb. Still he has a right to his opinions - better informed than most politicos.

27. Captain Boing
    Facepalm

Seriously? these rock-knob luddites (geldof & bonio et-al) just need to STFU now and collect their royalty cheques. It was reported that one African rapper turned down Band Aid 30 because Africans are sick and angry with their continent being constantly portrayed as a starving dust bowl when the truth is far from it.

The original Band Aid is a classic example of townies "helping" country-folk (its a metaphor guys) The BBC world service found, in 2010, "evidence, compelling evidence, that some of the famine relief donations were diverted by a powerful rebel group to buy weapons". This article is a hard read to anyone (self included) who misguidedly gave money http://www.spin.com/featured/live-aid-the-terrible-truth-Ethiopia-bob-geldof-feature/ and it is widely accepted that Band Aid aided and extended Mengitsus war, but now with heavy battle weapons purchased from the Russians with Live Aid money (my money!) to provide him the best equipped army in Africa at the time. And... added 10 years or so to the war which now could not blow itself out.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like