back to article Ad agency swipes 'unnamed bloggers' for calling out its cynically fake 'save a refugee' app

Ad agency Grey Singapore has thrown a tantrum and handed back the Cannes Lion bronze award it won for its now-infamous “I Sea” app. As we previously reported, the WPP-owned ad agency, under its Grey for Good brand, had boasted that the app would crowd-source the search for refugee boats adrift on the Mediterranean Sea. The …

1. HCV

I am following their lead

...and returning any and all awards to have been issued for my perpetual motion app, which *WOULD HAVE* provided limitless energy for the world, until you meddling kids went and spoiled it.

2. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Hey, I found something in that image...

It appears to be an Ad Agency sinking in stormy seas.

Who do I call?

1. Oengus

Re: Hey, I found something in that image...

The relevant Navy (do the US have a Med fleet?)... so they can use it for target practice.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: Hey, I found something in that image...

The relevant Navy (do the US have a Med fleet?).

They do. 6th fleet. Though as presently it is French who are in command of that NATO fleet group, the USA ships will have to wait its turn until the Rafales have returned to Charles De Gaulle. Pity Iowa is finally retired - it spent a lot of its pre-retirement years as a part of 6th.

That is if Russians and Varyag have not jumped the queue first.

3. Notas Badoff
    Facepalm

I Whee

Is there any level or direction in which their actions then or now make any business sense? Will any company/group ever contract with these 'people'? Associate themselves with the lying puling refugee drowning divas of pretense?

Give it up, rename it Grey Goo, and change your CVs to say you were shuttling water bottles (Saint Géron?) across the Turkish border to Syria refugees for the last two years.

What, since 1917? Still claiming you're Helping the Migrant Crisis? F! FFFF!

1. Mystic Megabyte
      FAIL

Re: I Whee

Grey Goo has just confirmed why I will never turn off my ad-blocker.

4. Mark 85

I find this refreshing....

...an ad agency that been called out and exposed for <gasp> fraud <gasp>... At least the muppets returned the award.

I hope this starts a trend and agencies dealing in malvertising will be next to be named and put into the spotlight.

5. Mephistro
    Coffee/keyboard

"...so there is not even the hint of impropriety or a question of our integrity."

HA HAHA HA HAHAHAHA etc. etc.

These feckers should leave advertising and go into comedy!.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

There is certainly no more question of their integrity : they have none to question.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "...so there is not even the hint of impropriety or a question of our integrity."

quite the opposite, these feckers should be crowned the kings of advertising, because they beautifully summerize what advertising is about, from start (the application that does nothing) to the finish (tantrum at being exposed)

6. Oengus

Only an Ad agency (and other similar low-life) would think like this

unwarranted, unfair, unrelenting attacks

I think the Expose is entirely warranted and fair.

returning the Bronze Lion so there is not even the hint of impropriety or a question of our integrity.

There is no question around your integrity. It has been demonstrated you don't have any. No Questions about it.

The saying no good deed goes unpunished is apt in this case.

What good deed. You scammed people who thought they were helping refugees to increase your Ad revenue. You should be punished. I hope Google and Apple remove all of your Apps from their App stores and place a ban on your agency for all future apps and advertising.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"place a ban on your agency for all future apps and advertising"

Both Google and Apple get their cut in advertising. I wouldn't hope much they would renounce to them.

2. Maryland, USA

Re: Only an Ad agency (and other similar low-life) would think like this

Only an ad agency and Donald Trump. Oh, wait: same thing.

7. JimmyPage Silver badge
    FAIL

A new "thing" ? Or was it always thus ?

Maybe I'm getting [too] old, but it seems to me the current hipster response when called out on your POC product/app is to whinge that people aren't seeing "the bigger picture" and to imply (or sometimes explicitly state) that it's all other peoples fault for "not getting it".

Then again, I have vague memories that he kaftan-joss-stick scamsters in the 60s would blame the market failure of their schemes on "bread heads, man". So maybe it's nothing new ?

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: A new "thing" ? Or was it always thus ?

"So maybe it's nothing new ?"

Nothing new under the sun. Whatever the opportunity there's a low-life to scam it.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The app was real...

... just the images weren't.

As Huawei infamously said, they were just to "inspire" users....

However, I'm surprised how many people believe that - like in movies - there are satellites able to cover whatever spot you like (in an area large as the Mediterranean Sea) in real time or almost. They probably believe that satellites float as they like in the Space, because "there's no gravity"... and then you understand how all those STEM teaching efforts are useless...

9. Martin M
    FAIL

If they don't want their integrity questioned...

... then perhaps it would be a good idea to update the app's website at https://iseaapp.com/ to make it clear the application is a "prototype" and that they imagery isn't real time, making it useless and simply wasting users' time? Rather than leaving the page as is and just linking to all the favourable media coverage.

10. disgruntled yank

Not an unalloyed success

Might I suggest a Brass Balls award to replace that Bronze Lion in the trophy case?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon