back to article App-V birthday to you, Win10: Virty tools baked in Anniversary update

Microsoft is packing its desktop virtualization into Windows 10 Anniversary Update next month – but you'll need an Enterprise or Education agreement to receive it. From August 2, the client's release date, Application Virtualization (App-V) and User Environment Virtualization (UE-V) will come as standard for both the Windows …

1. Stu J

And so it begins...

Con people into using a technology, then one Windows update later, it's gone. You want it back? £££££...

Rinse, repeat.

1. Mark 85

Re: And so it begins...

If I'm reading the article correctly, even money won't work unless you're an Enterprise. Nice of them to take it away from everyone but the largest companies.

2. pip25
    FAIL

Congratulations Microsoft

For putting even more useful functionality behind a paywall that most users can't climb EVEN if they actually want to pay you. Brilliant, just brilliant.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Congratulations Microsoft

Don't worry, all the features you want will be available to you regardless of company size. All you'll have to do is subscribe to the "Azure hosted desktop experience", or whatever marketing speak they come up with.

I can actually see MS getting to the point where they won't even sell a license to run Windows locally unless you have thousands of desktops. You'll run some stripped down RDP zero client, probably built into the BIOS - just enough to get you connected to Azure. Start watching for those easy Azure migration utilities to come built-in to Windows 11 or 12 and you'll know they're ready to pull the plug.

1. Zakhar
        Windows

Re: Congratulations Microsoft

Aren't you describing a bad version of a Chromebook?

3. djstardust

It's only gonna get worse.

MS have the ability to add / delete features at will (and charge for them too). That is horseshit and still people install this crap.

Another reason for not touching Windows 10 is that my wife's Windows 7 machine she uses for work has media centre on it and it works perfectly. She can watch (and record) TV or DVD from within Windows and it works faultlessly. Upgrade to Win 10 and it's just not there. Some upgrade.

4. MrNed
    Coat

Huh?

App-V. UE-V. MDOP. Direct Access. Windows To Go Creator. AppLocker. BranchCache. Start Screen Control with Group Policy. Volume agreement. Software Assurance. This edition, that edition. This experience, that experience...

...dunno about anyone else, but I can't even be bothered to have the slightest inclination to even begin to consider the possibility of giving brain-space to working out what any of their bollocks actually means.

5. Nathan 13

The Beginning

Of screwing over W10 sheeple bit by bit.

1. VinceH

Re: The Beginning

"There is nothing wrong with your operating system. Do not attempt to adjust the settings. We are controlling the configuration. If we wish to make it more useful, we will add features. If we wish to make it less useful, we will remove functionality. We control the applications. We control the connectivity..."

6. ma1010
    Devil

New MS Motto?

Less for more, endlessly!

And it seems to be happening even BEFORE the monthly/annual fees kick in for Windows lusers. No real disrespect intended here, because I was a Windows user for many years until Satan Satya took over and oversaw the release of Windows 8 and 10, the new "SAAS" strategy, and the many other fine benefits he's brought to the Windows ecosystem and its victims inhabitants. Like many others, I've bolted to the Penguin camp in self-defense.

7. David Lawton

I always think of Steve Jobs when i see Microsoft doing this shit. Just go to 1:06 on this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G5UUw9puhQ even if you are not a fan of him, that part is amusing.

Why can Microsoft not just do what they did years ago, Windows NT Server and Windows NT Workstation. Need to join it to a domain ? you change the setting, don't? then just don't ever go near that setting.

We don't need Starter, Home, Home Premium, Pro, Enterprise, Eduction, Ultimate and god knows what fu*king else!!

1. Zakhar

Excellent this video, thanks!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Looks like the AppV & UE-V clients are being removed from MDOP henceforth and will ONLY be available via Win10 Enterprise/Education and will be updated via Windows Update. AppV server & sequencer together with UE-V generator will continue to be available through MDOP.

it does look like the end of the road for Windows 7/8/8.1 AppV support though; AppV 5.1/UE-V 2.1 will be last clients supported on Win7. Any future updates & hot fixes will only be available to Win10 Enterprise & Education clients.

That's a few thousand more Win7 desktops and future application packages to worry about at work....

9. psannz

So....?

Quick question: Up until now, to use UE-V or App-V you had to have the System licensed with a Volume License Windows Client with the MDOP. So basically, you are already licensing the enterprise version.

You could simply choose to be lazy and not re-image that new system with pre-installed Windows 7/8/10 Professional Edition. Which is silly.

Especially if you are already running Windows 10, as you will be giving up Credential Guard, among other security enhancements.

So.... why are people really bothered? Because now they have to pay for what they use?

Up until now, you could for instance license 1 Windows Client with SA & MDOP, and use the MDOP bennis - such as App-V, MED-V, UE-V, DART, etc - on aaaallllll those other little boxes you bought from the bay, with that preinstalled Win 7 Pro. Not quite legal.

Integrating the UE-V and App-V Clients into Windows 10 is basically just 2 MSIs less to deploy. You still need to run the respective servers and infrastructure in the backend.

One last sidenote: MS needs to make it easier to license SA for SMB. IF those SMB have a Volume Licensing Contract, they usually have an OpenValue - at least in Merkel-land - and those lock you in for a year, or even three for any purchase. Adding a single SA for a new PC that you just bought is close to torture, especially if you are already in year 2 or 3 of your 3-yr-contract.

1. ashdav
      WTF?

Re: So....?

Thanks for clarifying that.

Where's the WTF icon.

Ah, I found it.

2. Naselus

Re: So....?

"So.... why are people really bothered? Because now they have to pay for what they use?"

First rule of any Reg comments section about a Microsoft article - regardless of the contents of the article, you must jump on this chance to slag off Microsoft.

If they are removing something broken, then you must complain that you use this feature all the time, regardless of the fact that everyone knows it is broken and anyone using it is an idiot.

If they are integrating an otherwise separate feature into the main operating system, you must complain that you don't want it to be integrated because now it is filling up your computer with unwanted crap, even if it doesn't install by default,

If they are making something easier, complain that it is spammy. If they are making something harder, complain that it is too complex. If they are giving away free cake, complain that they are trying to bribe people. If they set up a hospital specifically to nurse seriously injured puppies back to health, argue that the puppies deserve to die.

Attempt to fit the word 'sheeple' in if possible, even though it makes anyone using it sound like a total dickhead from a 1996 conspiracy theory. Announce that the Great Migration to Mint is now certain, because that makes it clear you know nothing about either Linux generally or Mint specifically. Make some general comments that haven't been true since about 1993; in particular, a long rambling critique of how much you hate Terminal Services or MSDOS 3.1 will be prized and earn you much status. Screaming with rage about some specific Visual Basic bug from Office '97 that was fixed years ago is also a bonus.

Maybe try and claim that Apple would never do something like this, despite the fact that Apple pull shit like this constantly on iOS. For extra points, post some videos of Steve Jobs at one of his cultish events, probably while launching some hideously locked-down, overpriced piece of crap that no-one in their right mind would try to use for serious work. Do not mention the Watch.

Fail to comply with these rules and you'll get like a million downvotes. Remember, even if MS are dong something good, they have been making all our lives hell in dozens of ways for 20+ years, so their natural relationship with the average Reg commentard is a deep and abiding distrust.

10. Len Goddard

Unsurprised

This is why I only use Win10 to play games - it is a toy operating system.

All productive and/or confidential functions run on linux. On a NUC and a big NAS. Once games start being routinely available on linux it will be the end of windows for me.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

and the next version of Windows 10 pro

will have features comparable to Windows XP Starter Edition - or maybe will just boot to DOS

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Everyone is aware that AppV and UE-V are enterprise level application packaging, deployment and management technologies not individual consumer level tools?

Barring AppV/ClickToRun being the delivery method for Personal/Home Premium/University Office 365 desktop Office applications, AppV was only ever available via Software Assurance. The Software Assurance only allowed AppV/UE-V to be used on Windows Enterprise desktops - any Windows Professional, Home/Home Premium/Core machines wouldn't be covered by SA and therefore shouldn't have had AppV/UE-V on them in the first place.

Individuals 'bolting for the Penguin' is all well and good, hope its working out for you but they wouldn't be affected by the whole AppV/UE-V clients moving out of MDOP to Win 10 Enterprise/Education in the first place.

1. cambsukguy

Stop making sensible comments, it interrupts the flow of hysteria.

Just as my humour circuits build up to a climactic giggle, you go and ruin it with Win10 non-hate.

Take your fair and balanced 'facts' elsewhere - interloper.

2. Mark 85

I think we're very aware that the tools are "Enterprise" packages. But if your company doesn't qualify under the new "rules" (size), it' too bad. I see a lot of small shops having issues with this.

13. Robert Moore
    Linux

Getting boring.

I was really enjoying watching Microsoft shoot themselves in the foot over and over.

But it is starting to get dull.

It is time for a gofundme campaign, to buy Microsoft a rocket launcher.

Now that's entertainment.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

funny how the ultimate version of windows 7 upgrades only to pro, not enterprise, even if it was a lot more expencive to get. Makes removing features like this even more of a screwy move.

15. Erik4872

Expect all enterprisey features to go Enterprise-only

Microsoft just got finished giving away their latest OS upgrade to Home and Pro customers. Since it's "free" from now on, I wouldn't expect any more of the enterprise features to be backported into Home or Pro.

It's definitely a shift from Win7/Win8, but not unexpected. At work we were previously able to get away with Windows 7 Professional OEM licenses because we didn't use the enterprise features. Windows 10 is forcing the company into Enterprise licensing because there's no other way to control the telemetry to a reasonable level or access certain features we need now.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like