back to article Rockstar confirms GTA IV PC edition

Murder, guns, drugs and car-jacking are all set to take over the PC, because video games developer Rockstar has confirmed that the biggest game of the year is coming to the desktop. Grand Theft Auto: IV for the PC will be released in the US on 18 November and on 21 November in the UK, cunningly just in time for Christmas. PC …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Greg

Oooh, there's a shock

A console exclusive that isn't! Shocking.

In any event, this is the exact reason I didn't buy it on a console. No point when you can play it on a machine with superior graphics and controls. :-)

2. Rob

Ummm.

Yay? I suppose it's better than the year wait that seems to follow most of the console conversions to PC these days..

3. Steven
    Thumb Up

Yawn

I think I've gotten a bit too old for the PC vs console vs console vs console snobbery (but just for the record, the Spectrum was better than the C64 and the Megadrive was better than the SNES).

I got this on the PS3 when it comes out, because the GTA games (since 3) have felt like games that should be played on the console.

I'll stick to my PC for first person shooters and MMOs though.

4. Rob Kidd
    Stop

@ Greg

Whoever said it was going to be a console exclusive?

And to me there's no point playing it on PC when you can play it from the comfort of your sofa on a massive screen, with surround sound whizzing round your head*.

*Yes, I know you can get surround sound for PCs, or hook up the PC to the telly. But who can be bothered? And all that cooling fan noise..

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Great

Hardly suprising, but great news all the same.

Hopefully the controls will be usable this time around. Previous editions were great for walking around, but car control was appalling. The only sane way to play was with a PSX controller for driving and a switch to keyboard/mouse for walking. Now if those 2 control methods could coexist, rather than requiring a change in the menu, all would be well....

6. bobbles31
    Thumb Down

<sarcasm>woohoo</sarcasm>

Great, now the years biggest disappointment of the year on console can be a big disappointment on PC too!

Way to kill a great franchise guys!

(Not bitter at all)

7. Alexis Vallance
    Thumb Up

Yay

Well it is a little bit shocking. There was always a chance it wouldn't be ported, especially if it San Andreas hadn't made all that much money for example.

Please consider buying the game for once, instead of torrenting it. This is a game that is actually worth the £30.

8. Spearbox

Hmm

Guess I'll need a new powerhouse beast to run it...

A bit like Deux Ex.

9. Steven Raith
    Flame

Hmm.

Methinks it's time to spec a new development workstation. With a Radeon HD 4xxx series GPU.

For using Photoshop to create visually compelling presentation images, of course, definetely not to play GTA IV at the weekend after completing repatching and cabling work, oh no, course not.

*cough*

Steven R

10. David Webb

Oh dear

2 day difference between the US and UK release, havent game developers learnt anything? its a hotly anticipated title, do they honestly think people are going to sit and patiently twiddle their thumbs for two days, or hit the nearest torrent site?

11. David Gosnell

Hardware angle

What's the hardware angle?

12. Stu
    Thumb Up

Fantastico

This is great news.

Despite playing it thru to 97.5% on the PS3 (I'm still missing ONE flying rat!). I will definitely be buying this for the PC. If only for what is likely to be a better experience visually, but only for those people with sh*t hot fast PCs and ridiculous SLI configs I'd wager (I might need an upgrade for my 8800GTS).

@Greg, PS3 GTA4 controls are surprisingly useable. I'm a PC gamer at heart, and I was concerned about getting used to it, but quickly got used to adapting for the PS3 controller, its surprisingly effective and 'transparent' - you really feel like you're in the game and the controls never get in the way or shoot you in the foot at key moments, after you get used to it that is.

If there are any control issues, they're always on both PC and PS3 versions, for instance changing weapons whilst knocked down, or entering/exiting vehicles, is always a bit hit and miss because the display doesn't show you which is selected whilst transitioning. I'll bet you £50 that they don't fix it for the PC version - they never have before.

Not to mention that whole annoying 'cant change weapons whilst in a car' thing - before you realise whats going on, you've dropped a grenade on the street whilst the car is stationary, wondering why you're not firing your SMG!! Good fun though! ;-)

13. Greg
    Thumb Up

@ Stu

Square will change weapons in a car...

14. Robert Heffernan
    Paris Hilton

YAY!

It's about bloody time! I have been waiting patiently for this to be released on the PC. I really can't stand consoles, especially their controls geared up for right-handed people (me being a leftie) I just plain can't use them, and believe me, I have tried!

Gimme a keyboard and mouse and some serious pwnage awaits all the n00bs out there!

Paris, because I'll bet she can use a joystick just as well in either hand!

15. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

@Rob Kidd

"Yes, I know you can get surround sound for PCs, or hook up the PC to the telly. But who can be bothered? And all that cooling fan noise.."

So you don't own an Xbox 360 then? :-)

16. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

@Rob Kidd

"Yes, I know you can get surround sound for PCs, or hook up the PC to the telly. But who can be bothered? And all that cooling fan noise.."

I bothered (I laid down HDMI cabling when I relaid my floor) and it was well worth it. Cooling fan noise? Not when you're 20 feet away in front of your widescreen LCD TV surrounded by sound, using wireless keyboard and mouse.

You're just lazy.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

@Rob Kidd

Get a better cooling system then :-P

18. conan

Controls

Never had a problem playing any of the GTAs on the PC, the controls are far superior if you ask me - no auto-aim, just nice mousey point-and-shoot. But the graphics and performance were so much better for San Andreas on the PC (remember when console games never stuttered?) that I'd rather play on the PC with a playstation controller than on a playstation. Works for Pro Evo, why shouldn't it work for GTA?

19. Rob Kidd

*sigh*

Meh. Each to their own. I was just calling out Greg's rather smug response that there's "no point playing games on a console when you can play them with better graphics on a PC" - clearly nonsense.

My point is that not everyone wants to blow hundreds / thousands of pounds to get enjoyment out of gaming in the living room.

20. Mal Franks

Will be interested to see if this game...

...can prise me away from Warhammer Online which is being released on the 18th of next month.

Its last predecessor hardly got a look in during the 4 years I was addicted to Mythic's previous game, Dark Age Of Camelot.

21. steogede

@AC 11:02

>> "Yes, I know you can get surround sound for PCs, or hook up the PC

>> to the telly. But who can be bothered? And all that cooling fan noise.."

>>

>> So you don't own an Xbox 360 then? :-)

Damn you AC, you stole my comment. For the record, I own a 360 and it is noisier than any PC I have ever owned.

The big surprise about this statement is we only have to wait a few months. IIRC it took 12 months for GTA:SA. What's the reckoning that this is out along with mods before we see any 360 additional content?

22. Jodo Kast
    Paris Hilton

No one's blowing thousands

It's called you bought the wrong PC.

If you buy the right one to start with, no blowing required!

23. Mal Franks
    Happy

Although I have it for the 360...

for this sort of game, I prefer to play sat at a desk for some sort reason. I have a Medusa 5.1 Home headset which does a pretty good job of surround sound and having big over-ear "cans" reduces the noise of the PC's fans rather well.

Racing, Guitar Hero/Rock Band and platform games on the other hand are best played on a console on a 100" projector screen.

24. Rob Kidd
    Stop

seriously..

Firstly, almost all the noise made by the 360 is not the fan- it's the disk spinning. When the fall update comes you'll be able to install games and run them off the hard drive. No more noise.

Secondly, show me a PC that costs c. £200 that is a capable games machine and still will be in 3 years.

It's quite possible to spend into the thousands on a PC gaming rig if you want to keep at the top of the range over the lifetime of a typical game console (5-ish years).

My original point was simply that it's disingenuous and somewhat smug to claim that there's no point buying a console over a PC.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

i'm still waiting

for magic pockets on the xbox 360

26. Les Matthew

@Spearbox

"A bit like Deux Ex."

Third time lucky then?

27. Zmodem

consoles are naff

monitors display goes twice that of hd

Nvidia are adding physX to dets

world rotation slowdowns is the console not the lcd tv

28. john
    Paris Hilton

Bobbles??

"Great, now the years biggest disappointment of the year on console can be a big disappointment on PC too!"

How did they kill a franchise - most of the guys I know think this is the best game ever - period - on any console.

Curious as to what's so bad about it.

Paris - because she can grab my joystick anytime she likes....

29. alan lovedog

it's a great game

It's not bad at all - it's great in fact.

only negative i would say is it does seem that the makers have scaled things back - lots of stuff that was in san andreas isn't there anymore - aeroplanes etc.

i can't help but think this is so they can put it all back in again for the next title - therefore making it seem a progression.

but still - it's engrossing and great.

i think buying a pc for games is the stuff of madness but if you happen to have recently purchased a reasonably powerful one, you really do want this game and i dare say it will be better than the console versions - by virtue of running on far more expensive hardware.

i recently played the ancient GTA 3 on my pc at 1920x1200 resolution - but can't play gta 4 on my PS3 doing that ( even if gta 4 managed to still look a lot better regardless ).

30. Tony Paulazzo
    Happy

PC v Console

>My original point was simply that it's disingenuous and somewhat smug to claim that there's no point buying a console over a PC.<

Unless you prefer PCs to consoles. Been a PC user since the 8086, and the only console I've enjoyed is the Wii (at a nephews house), and I looked like an idiot trying to play Mass Effect on the 360 (friends house) - it's brilliant to play on the PC tho'.

PC (3 9inch silent fans and low noise PSU) plugged into monitor and HD TV offering two screens, 5.1 sound thru' a Soundblaster Audigy, wireless keyboard 'n mouse and wireless joystick for driving / flying games - setup on coffee table or desk.

The hardest part of this setup? moving the keyboard 'n mouse from desk to coffee table - surfing/working/some games thru monitor, console type gaming/films thru' TV.

This topic is closed for new posts.