back to article Apple WWDC: OS X is dead, long live macOS

Apple has rolled out its plans for updating all four of its major operating systems. The 2016 Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) in San Francisco saw Apple showcase updates for iOS, OS X (now macOS), watchOS and tvOS. All four of the updates are being made available to developers today, with general release builds due to …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Q. Will they finally fix iTunes?

A. No.

2. wx666z
    Coat

MacOS

But will it run on my (old) Quadra 660 A/V? Anybody have an old DOS card?

1. Wensleydale Cheese
      Unhappy

Re: MacOS

As far as I can tell, Adobe never cottoned on to the fact that the new name was "OS X", repeatedly calling it Mac OS.

Perhaps it was easier for Apple to change the name back than convince Adobe to change.

3. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

So it's boring and mainstream?

Can we go back to actual problems now?

1. P. Lee

Re: So it's boring and mainstream?

>Can we go back to actual problems now?

Such as, "Where can I find an OS which doesn't require vendors' cloud services?"

1. Gray
        Trollface

'tis perhaps the foggy variation soggy within yon wee cloud:

macloudOS

(Jessie8.3 back to earth, laddie!)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

The problem with Macloud OS is there can only be one.

Also the updates have to come from Zeist. Theres a war going on there so good luck with security.

Some people, hardcore fans, don't even acknowledge Zeist.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I don't use Apple Cloud services for any of my Mac Computers. My iPhone gets backed up to my Macbook Pro.

Just like my Linux servers in that respect.

All of them get backed up to my NAS box that runs... Linux.

So what's your beef with Vendor Cloud services?

3. Dan 55 Silver badge

You can (still) run OS X without an iCloud account. Contrary to popular belief, even Software Update works, or at least the part that updates OS components.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think you mean bourgeois, the word boring is too mainstream.

*sips PBR hops on fixie and wobbles away slowly*

Wow my watch says Ive hit a new personal best. Rad.

4. gobaskof
    Facepalm

Great idea!

'an "SOS" function that automatically places an emergency call and sends medical ID information (such as allergies or health conditions) when the side button is held down.'

Luckily the emergency services wont have to deal with nuisance calls, because no on has ever accidentally held in a watch button.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Great idea!

Depends on how long it must be held down for, and whether this is something that is enabled by default or something you have to choose to enable (because you are at medical risk for something that could you leave you unable to place a 911 call)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

'An "SOS" function that automatically places an emergency call...'

Don't worry - this is configured when you first pair the watch and there are three choices for where the emergency call is sent:

1. To Twitter - 'OMG I so need validation #itsallaboutmeagain'.

2. To your nearest Starbucks - 'I will like literally die without a skinny Paleo frappé-latte now!'

3. To your nearest man-groomer - 'Dude - man-bun fail incoming and my brotox is super-wearing off fo' sho'!'

In addition, when the emergency button is held down, the phone's camera takes a couple of selfies and uploads them to your Instagram account because even on a bad day, you are one special snowflake, and the world needs reminding of that regularly.

1. Pirate Dave Silver badge
        Pirate

Re: 'An "SOS" function that automatically places an emergency call...'

@ephemeral: man, El Reg won''t let me do it physically, but spiritually, you can have all the rest of my upvotes today for that...

5. Tom 64

1600 bucks for a ticket?!

Talk about elitist... Wonder how many independent developers were there!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 1600 bucks for a ticket?!

IMHO, this is par for the course for this type of event really.

Can someone let us know what the recent Google IO event cost?

I attended an IBM event in Vegas more than a decade ago and that was over $1000.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: 1600 bucks for a ticket?!

Google IO is $900.

6. A. H. O. Thabeth

How long until "recruitment agents" start calling it Macos?

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

I don't think I've ever not called it MacOS and I'm going to stick with it. I seem to remember them dropping that soubriquet a few years ago and nobody cared.

Wonder how long they'll try and force through the small letters: macOs, tvOs, watchOS only make sense in the echo chamber of the nonventor* strategy boutique.

Note to "journalists": there is no need to try and ape branding when writing copy; branding is always a combination of typeface and style and usually with requirements not to use the style in copy but to assert the trademark.

*I'm sure I've seen this before but just in case I'm claiming it as my commentmark™

7. cd

To me, proof that they are done. More unwanted and likely unreliable "help" gadgets rather than useful tools. The useful tools are the purchasers in this scenario.

8. Stork Silver badge

If just I could have 10.6 back

It is the most stable OS I have used so far, and I can't think of anything of much use having been added since...

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: If just I could have 10.6 back

10.6.0 was a dog. I don't think they fixed some of the most serious bugs until 10.6.2 but it was then, indeed, pretty stable.

Mind you, I'd have to say that all of the subsequent releases have been stable: I've probably had about 10 system crashes in 10 years. But it's the random stupid bugs (Bluetooth, USB, graphics, etc.) in each new release that are so annoying.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So, no revolutions in sight then

Disappointingly, all of this is at best evolution, not revolution. I guess Apple is fresh out of new ideas as well. Not that they need many with that cash pile, but it would have been interesting if they'd done something new. Yawn.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: So, no revolutions in sight then

You want change for change's sake?

One of the nice things about OS X (originally called Mac OS X) is that it doesn't force change upon users, like Windows has done over the same period. Ideas from touch-based OSs - such as multi-touch gestures on Apple trackpads - have been added to OS X, but they never stopped the user from doing things the way they already had been. Heck, unlike Office in Windows, Apple still let users use menus, if that is what they want to.

Oh, there was some Mac news that wasn't in their keynote: a new file system called APFS, still in Beta.

(For the record, I mainly use Windows - familiarity breeds contempt, I guess. I have administered a few Macs though, and found them to be pretty civilised. It could be that I haven't used OSX enough to discover any massive annoyances)

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Given bug-ridden mess they've made of Disk Utility, I wouldn't trust them to get a new filesystem right first, second, or third time.

Apple do pretty but they've lost their programming mojo.

2. TRT Silver badge

Force change... the function of the green button. Force change... the loss of skewymorphics. Force change... reversing the scroll direction (OK, this one does have a preference switch, but still the default is to reverse it).

Need I go on?

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You want change for change's sake?

Oh heavens, no, I wasn't suggested they turn into Microsoft. I use a *lot* of Apple gear and products by choice, and all I run in the way of services is either on Linux of FreeBSD.

I probably expressed myself wrong as a result of a bit or irritation after hearing Yet Another Presentation Where They Declare Themselves Very Excited. They must sell a lot of Prozac over there if people get excited that quickly, but for me the very utterance of that word is a prompt to find something more exciting interesting to do like watching paint dry or count the number of fibers in a toothbrush. People who utter that word are either lying or have had such a limited exposure to the English language that even the concept of a thesaurus is foreign to them.

One of the nice things about OS X (originally called Mac OS X) is that it doesn't force change upon users, like Windows has done over the same period.

.. which is also why I've stuck with LibreOffice and made the the corporate standard (although I would really like to have a very strong, 4 by 4 supported word with the flaming f*ckwit who made "paste as raw text" impossible to select without a menu choice which prevents it from being a key re-assignment).

I'm all in agreement with evolution of the existing products, and I like some of the tweaks although you will *never* sell me on Siri. However, there hasn't really been anything in the way of REvolution.

The only thing coming close to that is the Swift playgrounds idea, as they carry the same sort of seeds that made the PSION Organiser II so loved many years ago - OPL allowed you to do so much more with the device that it spawned its own ecosystem (I should know, I got a support/update request late 2014 for some freeware I'd written during that era :) ). The very idea of having an in-device programming ability is cool, which is why I subscribed to the beta for the very first time.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apps were changing the world?

Sure, I discovered it on my Commodore 64 many, many years ago.... it took a bit for Cook to look at it - and undestand, didn't it?

11. djstardust

No innovation

I remember the days I used to be primed for these events. Never even knew this one was happening.

Mind you apart from a couple of old ipods in the cars I have nothing to do with Apple any more so that probably explains it.

They have gone from something special to just another tech company churning out mass produced junk.

I have a 1st gen ipod touch in mint condition and it's a work of art. The current one is pale in comparison. How times have changed.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Magical and game-changing

Where do I queue-up?

13. Andy00ff00

Ludicrously expensive tickets

Was there any violence from Russian hackers?

14. Mage Silver badge
    Coat

El Reg Invite

It seems anyone saving the $1,600 or not invited was better of.

A lot of marketing and no real substance.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re - especially for the Apple coders...

re ....especially for the Apple coders who ponied up $1599 apiece for tickets they could purchase only if they won a lottery drawing.

At least the majority who never make a profit from coding do something a lot more productive than entering the state lottery.

Bless them.

16. Sealand
    Facepalm

About time too

Siri, the microphone on my iMac does not work - how do I fix it?

Siri ?

SIRI ??

sigh ...

17. smartypants

MacOS - haven't forgotten...

I used and bought a string of macs from the late 1980s until the "classic" Macbook 5300c. Nice screen (for the time) aside, it was hard to work out which was worse - the hardware or the OS. Was it more irritating when crashing (which it did all the time), or when working as intended? The latter I think. Why would an operating system make you wait for a file copy to complete, unless it was written by a fool?

I did wonder if the sad-mac icon would eventually end up burned on the screen. Finally, after the umpteenth wasted evening, I took off my rose-tinted spectacles for the first time and my days as an apple geek were over.

Thanks to ITunes, it's been very easy to resist the temptation to fall into Apple's path again, and it made me wonder whether ITunes was written by the people who used to develop MacOS before it was booted.

I think so.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: MacOS - haven't forgotten...

That's a bit unkind - I stuck with Apple until into the G3 Powerbooks and their portables were generally better than the competition. My G3 suffered serious abuse in many thousands of miles of travel without a fault - and then the motherboard died when it was relegated to visitor use, clearly in a hissy fit. Also, the eMac did a splendid job of holding down tables.

What was horrible was macOS from 8.6 to 9.2 inclusive; it was so obviously being held together with string and paperclips. I guess the assumption is that anybody who used it extensively is no longer in a position to influence purchasing decisions.

18. Buzzword

Eleven. Eleven. ELEVEN!

The X in OS X is the latin numeral for 10, because it's version 10. They can't move onto version 11 unless they change the name to OS XI; or more simply, MacOS 11.

19. Rob Crawford

The word you are searching for is Autumn

"For the Apple TV, this Fall"

No, simply no, only Americans (and Canadians who are Americans too as they have the same country code) call it Fall

Or did you mean "this Fail"

20. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

" (El Reg was not invited for some reason) "

Maybe finally settle that bar tab (yes, that one), and a 'We're really sorry" card with an iTunes gift voucher to the PA VeePee in charge of invites? On second thoughts, better make that an Amazon gift voucher.

21. Richard Boyce

iDrive

Cynically, I wonder if the iDrive optimisation refers to a future optimisation of profits, i.e Apple can now provide a smaller and cheaper SSD as standard, and no socket to plug in an external drive, while charging people for the extra cloud storage they now automatically use.

22. Daniel B.

Lame renaming

No, I don't really dislike rebranding as MacOS ... after all, it was called MacOS X up until recently. Reviving the "Mac" part and getting rid of the X isn't an issue.

But why, WHY did they put that lame lowercase gimmick on the name?!?!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like