back to article Ireland goes Big Brother as police upgrade IT snooping abilities

The Garda Síochána has proposed to expand its surveillance on Irish citizens by swelling the amount of data it collects on them through an increase in its CCTV and ANPR set-ups, and will also introduce facial and body-in-a-crowd biometrics technologies. Announced as part of its new five-year programme to “professionalise” and …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Nice to see the UK

leading the way again.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nice to see the UK

Except Ireland is NOT part of the UK.

1. Alexander J. Martin

Re: Nice to see the UK

The comment was about Irish plod following the UK's example, I think.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

facial and body-in-a-crowd recognition

First they came for my fingerprints,

and I didn't speak up, because I wasn't a criminal (and they promised shorter queues at the airports)

Then they came for my number plate

and I didn't speak up, because, well, I did want to drive a car (and promised God knows what, probably criminal-free world)

Then they came up with an ID card (and promised I don't remember what, probably terror-free world)

And they only failed because of their own incompetence

Then they came for my medical records, promising, I bet, "improvements to medical care"

And I ticked all the right boxes to tell them to FO

But they took them anyway, and lost them (if they haven't, they will, sooner than later)

Did I mention DNA? Well, see "fingerprints" and "ID card" above. Both have made me, and the society, virtually safe. (virtually, getit?)

And that's just on the "state" side of things. And so it goes (on).

3. FuzzyWuzzys

OK, all sounds funky....

...but tell me a full and proper reason why you need this? What can't you do right now, that this will help with? What exactly are you going to gain that you don't already have, other than a huge IT bill when the invoice from HDS or EMC comes in?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: OK, all sounds funky....

Loads of work for IT contractors who've passed Garda vetting?*

*I hope

1. Pedigree-Pete
        Facepalm

Re: OK, all sounds funky....

More likely more IT Contractors who are vetted to work for the Garda and so more competition for you. Sigh.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We're so lucky!

To have seen the beginnings of the Thousand Years!

5. Red Bren

Always something missing

There's never any mention of what the penalties will be for abusers of the system.

6. Gray
    Devil

The easier choice...

It was fluorescent ID numbers tattooed on one's forehead, an RFID chip neck implant, or facial recognition software ... so which, do you think, was the easier option to implement?

(RFID chips come later, implanted at birth, as part of the mandatory Free Universal Benefits And Recognition* program. American pilot programs will demonstrate efficacy, practicality, and universal mandatory compliance measures Formulated Upon Conception; Keyed On Foreseeable Futures.*

*FUBAR

*FUCKOFF

(Acronyms are discouraged)

7. Joeyfallon

Wouldn't hold my breath ...

.. the only note taking I've seen in stations around the country involve a giant paper ledger that looks like something that came out of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

8. A Ghost

All very well

But who will guard the chicken gaurders?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like