back to article Redmond adds malware, phish warnings to Bing

Microsoft has followed Google's lead by making the malware warnings in its Bing search engine more nuanced. On Friday, the company announced that instead of one generic warning for dangerous sites, it is now giving users different messages for malware sites and phishing sites. Where a search brings up a hit on a site known to …

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge

And what does it show

For a Windows 10 update page?

1. TheFinn

Re: And what does it show

Ah, y'beat me to it! And I was going to be so witty!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Surely it just has to detect that Windows 10 is running on the Client PC ?

1. TheFinn

Tch! I would've been wittier than THAT!

1. VinceH

"Tch! I would've been wittier than THAT!"

Ditto. I was going to say that neither Bing nor Google have this feature working properly yet - I've just searched for Microsoft in both, and neither give me a warning for microsoft.com

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Does it warn you about the Google Play store?

2. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Such amazing tech

Too bad Microsoft can't use it to stop the flood of Benin phishing spams relayed through Outlook.com.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One of the great

advantages to being an anti soicial bastard with no twatter, farcebook, twat-o-gram et-al accounts is that i rarely find myself in the posistion of being proffered up dodgy sites.

I cant have had a "linked-in" (WTFIT?) message as i dont have a "linked-in" account.

Be more like me.

Be anti-social. Your AV software will love you for it.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

As a rabid curmudgeon myself, I can only approve.

1. Mark 85

As a rabid curmudgeon myself, I can only approve.

All hail the curmudgeon army.. we are legion.... and often confused with Luddites.

2. VinceH

Re: One of the great

"advantages to being an anti soicial bastard with no twatter, farcebook, twat-o-gram et-al accounts is that i rarely find myself in the posistion of being proffered up dodgy sites."

The article is about search results, not links that people might click on other websites, social mediocre or otherwise.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I cant have had a "linked-in" (WTFIT?) message as i dont have a "linked-in" account.

This only means that they didn't get hold of your e-mail so they can pester you with "Harold Flooberman wants to add you to his network" or "Do you know Fenster Kaplooie, Gilbert Redolent or Stephanie Mango?"

I was young and foolish and created a LinkedIn account using one e-mail address. I don't see how they got hold of the other two. Asking for removal (very deep in the site's settings) do nothing.

1. AndyS

Re: I cant have had a "linked-in" (WTFIT?) message as i dont have a "linked-in" account.

Assuming they work the same way as all other networks, they get hold of your other addresses when other people join, and give them permission to trawl their address books (either on mobile, or by giving them the password to their webmail).

I gave up trying to get them to stop emailing me, and simply block anything arriving from them (marked it as spam for a while in gmail, and eventually it offers to stop you seeing any more of it). I have no objection to social media, but a commercial company emailing me before I join is spam.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Redmond adds malware, phish warnings to Bing"

So is it '<malware & phish> warnings', or is it 'malware and <phish warnings>'?

These days with microsoft it isn't too clear.

5. redpawn

Does the phish & malware

come wrapped in an old newspaper or butcher paper when served up by Bing?

1. Mark 85

Re: Does the phish & malware

Either way... it still smells bad after 3 days.

6. Commswonk

Oh Dear...

Microsoft has followed Google's by making the malware warnings in its Bing search engine more nuanced.

Microsoft has followed Google's what?

See me at the end of the lesson.

7. BahnStormer77

but malware still heads the list of searches....

Searches for common utilities in Bing returns Malware sites ahead of the genuine applications - looks like the malware has got inside Bing's SEO!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like