back to article Scots denied Saltire emoji

The Scottish former First Minister Alex Salmond has bemoaned the absence of a Saltire emoji from the forthcoming Unicode 9.0 release. Salmond told north of the border publication The Courier: "Last year, I wrote to both Apple and the Unicode Consortium, asking them to consider including the Saltire in their next update. …

1. Hollerithevo

Right this wrong!

Millions of downtrodden, of cruelly oppressed, continue to suffer unspeakably until justice is done.

Or, fer cryin' out loud, get a life.

1. DF118

Re: Right this wrong!

Or, fer cryin' out loud, lighten up!

1. VinceH
        Coat

Re: Right this wrong!

I think they should just completely shun the use of emojis until this wrong is righted!

I know I will!

Ahem. And I'll continue to shun them even if that situation changes!

2. SolidSquid

Seems a bit of a daft comparison, since Martinique is an overseas territory of France, and it'd be more accurate to compare it to the Falklands than Scotland. If there had been a separate English one but not Welsh and/or Scots then fair enough, but if all parts of the UK have to use the Union Jack then that seems pretty reasonable, otherwise you end up with hundreds of separate flags having to be included.

Can't see if they're included, but Catalonia is probably a better comparison for Scotland in terms of including flags

1. DF118

Catalonia is probably a better comparison for Scotland

Debatable. UK is a union of unitary nations, of which Scotland is one. Catalonia is a technically "autonomous" region of a long-unified Spain. Both have significant independence movements, but politically and legally their situations differ enough that I don't think Catalonia is any better* an example than Martinique.

* Or worse, for that matter.

3. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Coat

our national animal, the unicorn

So the unicorn is Scotlands national animal.

Things seem to make a lot more sense now ....

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: our national animal, the unicorn

I suppose we learn something new everyday, as a Scotsman this is the first I have heard of us having a "unicorn" as our national beastie....

The Ramant Lion , OK

The Haggis : Why Not

A drunken Glaswegian: Definately a wild animal

But a Unicorn : I think that someone had a little but too much Buckie the day they chose the Unicorn..

The only reason I can imagine is that it shares one common element, a large appendice :-)

1. DF118

@ Khaptain Re: our national animal, the unicorn

as a Scotsman this is the first I have heard of us having a "unicorn" as our national beastie

Look on your passport.

Technically it's Scotland's heraldic animal, not the "national" animal, but since we don't really have one of the latter (if you discount the odd wild haggis sighting in cartoons) I think folk have settled on the unicorn. I think it's a brilliant idea.

Also Blade Runner.

1. John G Imrie
          Trollface

Re: @ Khaptain our national animal, the unicorn

Traditionally a Unicorn can only be tamed by a virgin. Which explains why there are so many wild ones in Scotland.

2. Khaptain Silver badge

"Look on your passport."

Just did a quick Wikipedia, the Unicorn on the passport is actually part of the Royal Arms and therefore represents the Queen. Scotland is represented in the second quarter of the sheld, by a "Rampant Lion".

I did see that the Unicorn changes sides when using the Scottish variant, but again this is still part of the "Royal Arms"..

Very confusing to those of us who have not studied Heraldry...

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"the Unicorn on the passport is actually part of the Royal Arms"

Well DUH

2. DF118

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lion_and_the_Unicorn:

"The Lion and the Unicorn are symbols of the United Kingdom. They are, properly speaking, heraldic supporters appearing in the full Royal coat of arms of the United Kingdom. The lion stands for England and the unicorn for Scotland."

Also worth noting that the unicorn is chained. I'm no student of heraldry, but I think the statement intended there is fairly clear!

3. Robert Helpmann??
            Childcatcher

Very confusing to those of us who have not studied Heraldry...

Well, it sure beats the one that goes "Gules, a fess or and three toads." Perhaps the College of Arms ought to request the various heraldic components be incorporated into Unicode and added as emojis. There are arguably plenty of worse things included already.

4. Leeroy
            Joke

I though it was the haggis ?

1. Mpeler
              Paris Hilton

And what about the battered Mars bar?

Paris, because she knows a lot about bars and has a lot of dough.....

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

The English invented haggis

1. Spanners Silver badge
                Thumb Up

Haggis is pretty common around the world. Apparently, there is even something similar in (South) Korea. It are just poor people food that has been adopted as a national icon because it's very nice.

Like several items of Scottish culture, they can be traced to France rather than the southern half of this island.

2. AbelSoul
        Thumb Up

Re: too much Buckie the day they chose the Unicorn

Upvoted for the beauty of that phrase.

3. Skeptically

The lion and the unicorn are heraldic symbols of the United Kingdom. The lion represents England and the unicorn represents Scotland. This has existed since the Union of the Crowns in 1603. The Scots and the English have been pals for a very long time and share so much history as a United Kingdom.

1. Fink-Nottle

Scots also have a national bird, but it's identity is a closely guarded secret. Hence the traditional greeting to strangers:

"Here you, wiz youse lookin at ma burd"

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I thought the national Bird was Jackie ;)

2. TimR

According to folklore, the lion and the unicorn hate each other - a tradition going back to the ancient Babylonians in 3,500 B.C.

http://www.scotsman.com/heritage/people-places/why-is-the-unicorn-scotland-s-national-animal-1-3953188

3. John 110

Dangerous bastards, unicorns

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

A wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn.

1. TheProf

"A wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn."

A wise man know from which end to approach the problem.

4. FuzzyWuzzys
      Happy

As the great philosopher Rab C Nesbitt put it....

"Wot in the name of Gord? A stoopid lookin' pony wi a cornet stuck on its napper!"

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Check your passport, you will see their is a lion (for England) and a unicorn (for Scotland)

1. Leeroy

Dragon for Wales :) can't believe you missed the best one out !

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

F**k me, somebody had better tell the Forestry Commission to keep an eye out ;)

4. DF118

"sadly no deep-fried Mars bar"

You nearly managed it. A whole article with Scotland in the headline, without mentioning deep fried mars bars, haggis, irn bru or buckfast. Here, have a compensatory bridie.

1. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: "sadly no deep-fried Mars bar"

I was so close. Can I have haggis pakora instead?

1. DF118

:D There's hope for you yet!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

haggis lasagne, mmmm

1. Pen-y-gors

haggis lasagne, mmmm

Tried some in Newton Stewart a couple of years ago. Definitely a step too far as fusion cookery goes. Don't get me wrong, I love haggis, but in lasagne? No.

But what about the haggis quiche the St Andrews Students Union used to make many moons ago? Now that was yummy!

1. Franco

When I was a student at St Andrews the chippie on South Street used to do deep fried Cadbury's Creme Eggs as an "Easter Special"

No, I did not try one. Even thinking about it now gives me the dry boak.

One of my work colleagues also tells of a chippie in Stonehaven that sells deep fried Tunnocks Teacakes, which might be even worse.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Crivens!

The post is required, and must contain letters. Yer wee scunners.

6. Marc 25

where does it end?

They'll be wanting a Thistle next....and don't even get me started on Cornwall...!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Go

Re: where does it end?

Yeah, and who says we must stop at the national or sub-national level? There's plenty of polities who would be tickled to have their group's fetish, whatever it may be, included in the Book of Unicode. I know I would be.

And why stop even there? Isn't ICANN already flogging off top level domains? Seems to me there's an opportunity being missed here with Unicode.. ..you're way ahead of me. Sell those glyphs. I'll take eight! :-D

1. Robin Bradshaw

Re: where does it end?

Big John the unicode consortium were way ahead of you and you can sponsor a character:

https://twitter.com/unicode/status/725729260137119744

I have no idea who Seth Madlon-Kay is but applaud his willingness to waste $100 for comedy

7. Pedigree-Pete
    IT Angle

Cum ere, there's more.....

N. Ireland..Cornwall, Devon IoM wouldn't surprise me if the Isle of Wight has a flag too. Whered'ya stop.

For balance see article about the St Georges Tabard at sporting events.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/06/07/bbc_crusader_rumpus/

A rather different view of a UK nations flag. Odd isn't it? PP

8. Mr Dogshit
    FAIL

Alex Salmon

The man who spent £250 of taxpayers' money on a pair of tartan trousers and tried to hush it up when the press found out.

1. DF118
  9. FuzzyWuzzys
    Flame

In that case....what about Baner Peran?!

Where's the Baner Peran, hmm? A lot of downtrodden Cornish folk want their say too!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

is there an emoji for donalds trousers?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Iconic?

Don't be silly.

I do understand that his hair is a candidate tho, in a complete set of moods too!

2. Marc 25

there WAS one but they lost it.

11. Mystic Megabyte
    FAIL

2 x Twats!

The day after the referendum Alex Salmond said that the "No" voters were tricked. That's like calling them stupid. No Alec we were not tricked, after all those years in the planning you had no plan for the Scottish currency.

Next up Nicola Sturgeon says that she will keep working for an independent Scotland. What the fuck use are these "leaders" when they first insult and then ignore majority of the voters wishes!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 2 x Twats!

Err, Sturgeon is the leader of the SNP; the SNP do occasionally mention their long-term aim of Scottish independence; the SNP is comfortably the most popular single political party in Scotland. So she might reasonably (which is not the same as accurately) conclude that the Scots do not want to shut the door on revisiting the independence issue some time in the next 5 to 10 years.

Which is not to say the SNP did not have a poorly thought out strategy before the referendum and haven't messed up since by concentrating on the trappings of politics rather than the people - by their very nature political parties cannot cope with non-party political activism.

Oh, and Salmond could have simply said that he thought the separate countries should have their flags emoji'd in addition to the union flag, e.g. for use when commenting on sport, but that might not have got the same media attention.

2. Awil Onmearse

"The day after the referendum Alex Salmond said that the "No" voters were tricked. That's like calling them stupid."

A fair proportion might well be on the spectrum of gormless morons with an inexplicable hard-on for the British establishment - but no, what Salmond said is not like calling them stupid at all.

Another few years of being "governed" by these cunting inbreeds might yet determine the veracity of what he actually said, though.

1. Fibbles

Found the nationalist. Now, where do I claim my £5?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's good they're both named after fish. The French would need something like Amelie Exocet though, flying fish as in "Ī don't give a ..." ;)

12. Herby

More flags??

All 50 of the states here in the USA have individual flags (the one I live in says "California Republic"). We don't get emoji flags either.

Oh, the humanity.

I believe that cities have them as well. Does Unicode have enough spaces?? UTF-32?? I hope not!

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: More flags??

All 50 of the states here in the USA have individual flags...

And one of them has a back that is not the same as the front! (As any avid viewer of 'Fun With Flags' knows.)

2. dajames
      Meh

Re: More flags??

Does Unicode have enough spaces?? UTF-32?? I hope not!

UTF-32 is one of the standard Unicode encodings, and has been for some time -- despite the fact that no current Unicode character uses more than 23 bits. (So, yeah, there are well over 4286578688 unused values.)

UTF-32 is very useful if you have to manipulate Unicode characters in memory because the fact that every single-glyph character (even the bonkers stupid ones like "ALIEN SMILING CAT WITH TOP HAT AND MONOCLE"*) can be expressed in a single 32-bit integer makes indexing and offset calculations very efficient. It's a fairly lousy storage format for most languages, though, because plain old ASCII characters use only a quarter of the bits available.

* I may have made that one up, but I'm sure many will now feel a need for it.

13. Franco

In the spirit of being properly representative of Scotland, if we have a flag emoji we should also have:-

A "See You Jimmy" hat emoji

A pizza emoji (battered)

A Duke of Wellington emoji (with a traffic cone on his head)

A square sausage emoji (Not square, but rectangular)

I'm not quite sure how to encapsulate the essence of our sporting heroes in emoji form. How do you have a single icon for the inherent ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Square sausage is called "saucermaet" in the Northern Isles but still square ;)

I did once spot an oddity in the veg section of the local shop there, not far from a local settlement called Ham.

I believe it was labelled "Ham Neeps", I nearly fell over with the double-take ;)

14. Richard Parkin

Does the Unicorn ...

Does the Unicorn represent Scotland because like Scotland it is mythical?

1. John 110

Re: Does the Unicorn ...

Ooo, that might have been a mythtake...

15. ecofeco Silver badge

The real question should be...

How many emojjis can fit on the head of a pin?

1. swarfega

Re: The real question should be...

馬鹿外人 :P

16. MT Field

Clearly this is the fault of the dastardly English

17. Mike Shepherd

Adventurous

"I am sure I speak for all Scottish users when I say..."

Quite an adventurous claim, for someone who didn't even win his referendum, let alone get 100% of the vote.

1. John 110

Re: Adventurous

I don't think it was "his" referendum per se.

And according to the Fount of all Internet Knowledge (begins with a W), the turnout of 84.6% was the highest recorded for an election or referendum in the United Kingdom since the introduction of universal suffrage.

44.7% of those (1.6 million people) voted "Yes".

Just sayin'

1. Fibbles

And? That's still less than half.

2. Fink-Nottle

> 44.7% of those (1.6 million people) voted "Yes"

There are 2 billion smartphone users worldwide, thus only 0.08% are potentially emoji using pro-independence Scots.

Just sayin'

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

But at least they have the option of sitting on the toilet not using emojis, unlike a good percentage globally of the smartphone users ;)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like