back to article NetSuite hacker thrown in the cooler for a year, fined $124,000

A hacker has been jailed for a year and fined $124,000 (£86,000) after admitting he infiltrated a protected computer system. He has also had all his computer equipment confiscated and faces a three-year probation period when he gets out. Robert Saunders, 30, repeatedly hacked into the corporate network of cloud business …

1. eswan

"possession of a firearm in interstate commerce while unlawfully using a controlled substance."

And littering?

1. Robert Moore

>"possession of a firearm in interstate commerce while unlawfully using a controlled substance."

>And littering?

No, if he had been littering at the same time he would have gotten the chair.

2. Barry Rueger

Officer Obie..

He said, "Kid, we only got one question: Have you ever been arrested?"

He stopped me right there and said, "Kid, I want you to go over and sit down on that bench that says 'Group W'.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Officer Obie..

Do they still use 8x10 colour glossy photographs with circles and arrows, and a paragraph on the back explaining what each one was?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Close...

The correct meme is "and jaywalking"

WARNING: massive time sink ahead!

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ArsonMurderAndJaywalking

2. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Coat

If he got into the system, it wasn't "protected" enough.

3. Pascal

$189,000

What kind of actual damage can he have done that would truly have cost $189k to fix?

Or does that include $180k in legal fees to track / sue him?

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Re: $189,000

> What kind of actual damage can he have done that would truly have cost $189k to fix?

Evan Goldberg had to work late one evening.

2. Winkypop Silver badge
      Windows

Lost sales?

Prospective customers have a dim view of security issues.

1. John 104

He is lucky he got off so lightly. Maybe 189 was the one lost customer, but word of mouth will be far more damaging in the long term I would suspect...

1. L05ER

assuming these are actual costs, i'd say it's fair given the shared blame nature of most "hacks".

any bad press generated by a company's failure is deserved. he pays for the damage, they pay for the failure.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like