back to article Home Office U-turns on surveillance camera review muddle

Presumably after finally reading his report*, the government has thanked the Surveillance Camera Commissioner (SCC) for "clarifying" after he explained that he had not asked for the "enforcement powers" it had refused to give him. Earlier this month, The Register reported on the extraordinarily curt letter the government sent …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why the confusion?

A politician has answered a question that they wanted to be asked, not a question that they may or may not have actually been asked. This is normal.

2. Mephistro
    Devil

"...assist in ensuring that we fully understand the intention behind the recommendations you made in your review."

Wut??? Did this Penning guy even read the report before sending his first letter?

And the two paragraphs in the yellow box in the article, they're the most convoluted and complex way of saying ·"Yeah, I screwed it, sorry." that I've ever read!.

Well, the guy is some kind of politician cub, isn't he?

1. Wommit

@Mephistro

"And the two paragraphs in the yellow box in the article, they're the most convoluted and complex way of saying ·"Yeah, I screwed it, sorry." that I've ever read!."

"And the two paragraphs in the yellow box in the article, they're the most convoluted and complex way of saying ·"Yeah, you might possibly think that I might have screwed it." that I've ever read!."

There, fixed it for you.

1. Chris Parsons

Re: @Mephistro

Downvoted for the tedious cliché 'There, fixed that for you'.

1. Wommit
          Happy

Re: @Mephistro

Downvoted for the tedious cliché 'There, fixed that for you'.

Downvoted for being boring

There, fixed that for you.

3. Tanuki

A better reply...

would have been to refer to the reply given in what is generally known as "Arkell v. Pressdram".

4. cosymart
    Holmes

No He Didn't

Read it that is... You don't expect a minister to read everything that get sent to his department. Some minion did that and penned (pun intended) a reply for the minister to approve. Said minion had to go into do-dah extraction mode rapidly hence the more considered reply :-)

1. Bob Dole (tm)

Re: No He Didn't

The sad thing is that I fear even the minions have stopped reading anything sent in and instead just craft responses to what they think it might be about.

As always, the best way to get information across is to meet, in person, because no one reads anything.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon