back to article It's all very well hacking ISIS, Barry, but what about your ISA?

Credit card fraud is in decline while ad fraud is poised for growth, according to a new study on the business of cybercrime out Tuesday. Hewlett Packard Enterprise’s (HPE) study provides a detailed look into the inner workings of cybercriminal organisations, their business functions, motivations, and more. The IT giant posits …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And! Yahoo! leads! the! way!

At sponsoring fraudulent ads. I'd say about half of the ads shown in Yahoo! Finance show one thing on the Yahoo! page, but if clicked on, take you to sites displaying fake error messages trying to sell you fake PC service, fake health products, fake diet schemes, or just plain malware injection.

2. Andy00ff00

Curious

Does chip&pin *really* make credit cards more secure? I thought it was all to do with reducing costs.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Curious

Well it stops people just cloning your card by swiping it.

2. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

A lot of what chip and PIN does is to shift the risk back to the consumer as there is a stronger assumption that it is actually the consumer making fraud more difficult to accomplish. When there is actual fraud, it becomes harder for the consumer to prove as the initial assumption is more likely to be that the charge is legitimate than with older tech. As with all security measures, I expect crims to eventually defeat this challenge.

1. Aodhhan

If the card is purely pin and chip it is more difficult to use fraudulently; however, in the USA where the infrastructure doesn't fully support reading the chip, many of the cards are hybrid. They have both the chip as well as the magnetic stripe on the back. This is scheduled to continue until 2018.

Also remember, a chip on the card doesn't prevent the card from being used fraudulently for online purchases.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Their business looks a lot like ours". But I bet they have a better website

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Which shows once again

Which shows once again, one needs ad blocking software or a good hosts file.

5. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Are HPE thinking of cybercrime as a new business opportunity? Or are they worried that the cyber-criminals will go legit and out compete them by offering better customer service?

1. Captain Badmouth

"Are HPE thinking of cybercrime as a new business opportunity?"

Hp's laptop division is a criminal organisation imho.

6. &rew

Help a foriegn-raised youngster out

Can anyone tell me who is featured in the headline picture and what movie/tv series they are from? I feel like it is a pop culture reference I should know.

Thanks in advance.

1. FIA Silver badge

Re: Help a foriegn-raised youngster out

Can anyone tell me who is featured in the headline picture and what movie/tv series they are from? I feel like it is a pop culture reference I should know.

The lady at the back is Laura Croft. The film is hackers. Personally not my favourite, but probably one you should know. :)

It's no Office Space though.

7. Captain DaFt

Back to back

Just finished reading about how ad merchants are moaning about the 'Adpocalypse' being brought on by ad blockers, and here's one about the increasing rise in ad fraud.

Listen marketeers, if you don't bother to clean up your own mess, you've nobody to blame for the 'Adpocalypse' but yourselves.

Nobody blocks ads to be vicious, or try to starve you children, we do it because it's the only way to surf the web safely and sanely, and without your unwarranted spying on our every keystroke, idiots!

8. Vic

“Their business looks a lot like ours. Cyber criminals look to maximise their profits and minimise risk,” HPE argues.

The businesses are very different. Cyber criminals don't sack all their best people.

Vic.

[ I was going to do the "well they would, wouldn't they?" joke, but someone else did something rather similar above...]

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like