Your f---- video player

This topic was created by Dan 55 .

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Megaphone

Your f---- video player

So I'm trying to watch the Dick Smith video and once again I come up against your video player.

Let me count the ways.

1) It's Flash. Every time there's another Flash vulnerability your editorial line is use click-to-play or, better still, uninstall Flash. Why keep using a Flash video player?

2) It's most often used as a replacement for the YouTube embedding code. Why not just use the YouTube embedding code which can do HTML5?

3) When it is used as a replacement for the YouTube player, it often just freezes or comes up with Error (some number like I really know what that means).

4) If it doesn't screw up it's pretty slow at downloading the video.

5) And when I'm on a mobile, if by some miracle it does decide to work on Firefox Android with Flash 11 (yes, 11, which is the latest Flash for Android), it's a good way of using up the battery.

So I'm reduced to refreshing the page and clicking at the "YouTube Link" when it briefly flashes up before the player appears to get to YouTube and play it.

Please, for the love of all that is holy, just drop Flash and use HTML5 already. People who can't play that will download the H264 file and play it themselves via a link.

Yours Outraged,

Etc...

1. Dr Spork
      Unhappy

Re: Your f---- video player

No comment?

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Re: Your f---- video player

[ edit - Marco's right and I didn't even notice / think about it because I disable Flash. It's HTML5, not Flash. ]

C.

2. Marco Fontani

1) It's Flash.

Er.. well.. it defaults to html5, at least according to the javascript we call the player with!

On my browser I have flash disabled and I can see the video at http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04/17/dick_smith_stores_close_forever/ just fine.

3. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Facepalm

I can only apologise profusely. I am sure that Android Firefox cranked up the Flash plugin one upon a time, but I'm not sure if this changed due to a change in Firefox or a change in the code on the Reg website. I saw the video player taking its sweet time initialising and the red mist descended.

As to why it took its sweet time initialising, that again could be Firefox's fault, it's getting a bit middle-aged now (46).

Icon for me.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon