back to article Windows 10 Anniversary Update draws nearer with Inky preview

Microsoft has released Windows 10 build 14328 to "Windows Insider" previewers. The build is available for both PC and mobile, and is described by VP Gabe Aul as a "MAJOR build, packed with lots of new features and improvements". The new features will be part of the Windows 10 Anniversary Update which is set for release in …

1. Chika

Hmm... the Start layout looks very familiar. Cinnamon, perhaps?

Sorry, Gabe, old fruit. It still doesn't impress me.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Windows

And what do we have on the right? Has Vista's sidebar been resuscitated from the dead?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is it possible to make an operating system that is satisfying both for tablet and desktop users?

Yes, just don't believe the same UI with a few tweaks can satisfy both. The OS must switch UI fully depending on what is running on. All a user needs is a consistent enough UI - not exactly the same one.

1. asdf

Re: Is it possible to make an operating system that is satisfying both for tablet and desktop users?

Don't forget an OS that regardless of form factor is not data mining users in the background. Really narrows down the field.

3. M7S

As this is the anniversary edition..

Does this mean that at the time of its general release, the offer to users of some versions of Windows to upgrade has expired and their luck* has changed?

*Interpret according to whatever values float your boat.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: As this is the anniversary edition..

No, it most probably means that they are preparing OSaaS invoices. You didn't think they would let you continue using it for free did you?

4. Halfmad

Look I like Windows 10

But I still have to admit I've NEVER opened the start menu and used an item from it, I always either have that item on the quick launch, desktop or simply mash the windows key and type a few letters then press enter to load it.

The start menu is an utter irrelevance, I actually forgot you had the menu on the right until I saw the screen shot in the story.

I use Windows 7 at work and I'm in and out of the start menu frequently, BECAUSE IT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE A$$.

1. AMBxx Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Look I like Windows 10

Me too, but MS have had so much flack about the start menu in 8 that now they can't stop fiddling with it.

Can't be a huge step to group that new fixed all apps list into categories. The categories auto-hide and then we're back to Windows 7

2. Sir Sham Cad

Re: NEVER opened the start menu

It's not often I use it but I do use it precisely because "simply mash the windows key and type a few letters" just isn't something I've got into the habit of doing. Probably entirely because I mostly use Win 7 at work and, as you point out, the Start Menu isn't utterly shit in Windows 7 so I'm used to using it as my go to. Even if only to type one of cmd, mstsc, mmc, services.msc or notepad in the "run" box.

I use win 8 on my desktop at home (not 8.1) so I'll see if your winkey+text method transforms it into something actually useable. Cheers.

3. Katie Saucey
      Windows

"BECAUSE IT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE A$$."

You can fix that to some extent apparently:

http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/make-windows-10-like-windows-7

Why Microsoft decided to go full retard and decided to include all the ridiculous facebook/instagram tier options by default is beyond me. Why not just have a simple 'classic look' option like win 7 does? Did someone in marketing think "Wow, I bet people who have been using windows for the last 20+ years would really love to spend a few extra hours of install time getting a look and feel they want!". Scratch that last comment, it's ms business as usual.

1. Tom 64

>> "Why not just have a simple 'classic look' option like win 7 does?"

Because then they can't sell advertising space in peoples 'tiles' to the likes of King games.

2. Halfmad

Thing is I'm not that sure I'd need it, as I said I've other ways of accessing programs so changing the start menu for me is utterly pointless at this stage.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

No, seriously

This is certainly the best ever Windows, could it be the best over OS?

1. djstardust

Re: No, seriously

Given the fact it's a non-expiring beta I would say the answer is no ......

1. Arctic fox

@djstardust Word to the wise old chap.......

.....the poster to whom you are replying just loves poking our compadres with a sharp satirical stick. Carter may be his name but wind-ups are his game. :P

1. Geoffrey W

Re: @djstardust Word to the wise old chap.......

Wind ups may be his game but its a very fine line between being funny and being irritating, and I fear he isn't funny enough, nor original enough, to avoid irritating me at least. Giggling at those who take him seriously wears thin after the first few hundred posts basically all using the same pointy stick which has long since lost its point. I don't know why I bother to look in the comments of any register story about Windows or "Slurp". I already know what I'm going to find.

1. sabroni Silver badge
            Thumb Up

Re: @djstardust Word to the wise old chap.......

I think JJ's posts are amusing enough. The angry responses are better!

2. Preston Munchensonton
      Stop

This is certainly the best ever Windows, could it be the best over OS?

Fail, on both counts. If anything, Windows 8.x and 10 are automatically out as best anything because of the stupidity surrounding the split-brain Control Panel and the retarded on-again/off-again Start Menu. Frankly, it's really only a fight between XP and 7 for best Windows ever and that probably boils down to the hardware that it runs on.

No one with at least one firing neuron could call Windows 10 the "best ever OS", at least and still keep a straight face.

#totalfail

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
        Facepalm

Plus you can now reset apps which "get into a bad state". Yep, that's the brand-new Universal Windows Platform. The apps go a bit scatty and you have to delete the settings. Best. OS. Ever.

3. Planty Bronze badge

No, its continued roof that Microsoft have lost the plot. If it were any good, they would be charging for the upgrade

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

JJ you forgot the /sark tag. That was very naughty of you.

5. Carl D

>> This is certainly the best ever Windows, could it be the best over OS? <<

Maybe you should ask all of these people?

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/microsoft-wants-to-know-anyone-seeing-issues-with/8cc2af67-d1ef-43d8-8658-b5c5a69be530?auth=1

All thanks to Windows 10's April updates.

102 pages so far, 10 posts per page. I'm surprised it isn't all over the Internet. All I've seen is a Forbes article and one or two others so far.

1. Paul Shirley

By the time I'd bludgeoned win10 into submission after the update I didn't have the energy to complain. Before that I didn't have a net connection to complain with, the fscking update careful corrupted my network settings and I couldn't even ping the router. When Microsoft break a system they do it thoroughly.

6. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

"This is certainly the best ever Windows, could it be the best over OS?"

Congrats on the sarcasm!

6. Len Goddard

scary

"and is described by VP Gabe Aul as a "MAJOR build, packed with lots of new features and improvements"."

This is the most frightening thing I have heard all day. I am so glad I forked out the extra for Pro and can delay the update for a few months ... hopefully long enough for them to fix the more egregious bugs and regressions.

1. Paul Shirley

Re: scary

And I think we can assume one of those tweaks will be yet another hijack of my associations/default apps, the desktop will resprout the duplicate drive folders I'm sick of hacking out of the registry and random crap will be sprayed over random settings while it replaces good drivers with bad.

Just like last weeks Windoze update did :(

7. CliveS
    Facepalm

One of the many elephants in the room

All very nice, but what about bringing back/replacing Placeholders in OneDrive? I've two devices here which won't be upgraded to Win10 until such time as Placeholder functionality is restored to OneDrive as both have limited local storage (32GB) and selective syncing of folders is a non-starter (>32GB of music files alone).

Sod all this tweaking this, faffing around with that and getting started on the other; how about simply focussing on fixing the glaring omission and deficiences...

1. sabroni Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Sod all this tweaking this, faffing around with that and getting started on the other

Well there's alway linux!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

Epoc defining

For 1 billion people or more, Windows 10 will define computing for their lifetimes.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Meh

Re: Epoc defining

They too will learn to hate Windows.

1. Geoffrey W

RE: "They too will learn to hate Windows"

But they still wont switch to Linux

1. kryptylomese

Working in IT in support or as a network engineer or as a developer or anything else means that you will come across Linux. It now owns the server market and runs the network devices and developers are more likely to develop on Linux because there are more Linux servers than anything else - More than 60% of Azure is Linux.

Windows 10 maybe epoch defining in that there may not be any more Microsoft Windows for too much longer!

2. asdf

>But they still wont switch to Linux

Only if they insist on only iThings in their pocket. In five years WinPhone kit will only be sold used as retro nerd curios on Ebay.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@Geoffrey W - Re: Epoc defining

How much do you think I care for them ?

1. Geoffrey W

Re: @Geoffrey W - Epoc defining

How much do you think I care for any of you?

OS hate is just stupid. I like playing with all of them.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That was true 10-20 years ago. Now there is much more choice in the market, so more people than ever now realise that there's more to computing than just Windows. It's certainly no longer the best-selling OS.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@JJ Carter - Re: Epoc defining

Yeah, and I already feel sorry for them.

9. John 104

Many Windows users would cheerfully trade new features for a more reliable and predictable experience

Listening, Microsoft?

Should be fun to watch. Unfortunately, I use it at work for my main PC, so I won't be able to avoid this for ever. For home use, I'm still happily using Mint and loving it. No fuss. No hassle. Just go about my business as needed.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Many Windows users would cheerfully trade new features for a more reliable and predictable experience, so here's hoping that many bugs get bashed.

So how many up votes can we get for this simple and basic requirement of enterprise software.

Baisc things like all settings etc all being in the same place rather than spread over settings and control panel and consistent UI across the whole OS.

1. AlexS
        Headmaster

Trade new features for a more reliable and predictable experience

You already can..

Get Windows 10 Pro if you haven't already got it.

Go to Group policy (GPEDIT.MSC) and set to defer for six months

http://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-to-prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-downloading-updates/

Job done.

1. asdf

Re: Trade new features for a more reliable and predictable experience

Six months only huh?

1. AlexS
            Paris Hilton

Re: Trade new features for a more reliable and predictable experience

8 months actually.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ha!

Although IT professionals will regard features like ... "Project Centennial" (the ability to convert desktop applications to Store apps) as more important

No, damn Microsoft shill, IT Professionals think of the Windows Store as another place where software goes to die.

11. Craig 2

"A bit rough around the edges"

Sounds a bit rough through and through.

Honestly, Windows should be polished to the Nth degree by now...

I hate to think about the ever-sprawling tree of unintended consequences when you change something in the OS code.

12. This post has been deleted by its author

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"[...] the ability to annotate the current screen with a few taps and a quick scribble is a neat feature."

The trouble with any note handwritten to oneself in the middle of the night that is that it is firstly illegible - before you can decide if it is also unintelligible.

1. YARR

... even when written on a back-lit screen? I'd be more concerned about losing the stylus.

If only Cortana would record messages. Then again, listening to your own voice from the middle of the night could be equally incomprehensible.

14. Terry 6 Silver badge

All apps

Having a list of all the apps in the Start menu would be ok, even good, if it was possible to keep the list uncluttered and organised. Which starts with preventing installation scripts from dumping what they want where they want

Currently organising the list, removing unwanted links ["Our programme on the net" etc..], or grouping software according to function is convoluted and time consuming, since Microsoft have made accessing the files and folders into a labyrinthine process.

We can't just access a start menu folder from the list. Instead we have to select the link from inside the folder and right click on it, then choose "more" to go to the file location, which will then give us access to the folders. (We can't even just navigate to c:\programme data\Microsoft\Windows\start menu\programmes if we have the knowledge to do this, because it isn't any less cumbersome and might not even be there when we arrive)

Further TIFKAM "apps" are fixed, so they can't be moved.

All of which leave the All Apps list as a total dog's breakfast.

1. Paul Shirley

Re: All apps

With the classic start menu it didn't really matter if overenthusiastic installers injected extra crap, it was easy to delete them, easy to move them and a multilevel tree has vastly more space to hold them anyway. You always felt you were in control of it and you never had to search tediously through an endless flat list.

That's win8/10 for you, no control over and no help from the ui.

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

Re: All apps

Yup. Exactly that.

15. EddieD

"You can also now set the taskbar to auto-hide in Tablet Mode only."

If I can't hide my taskbar, I'll be seriously peeved...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think they mean when you flip between the two modes, you can set the device so it only hides in Tablet mode, if that is what floats your boat. They are not removing auto-hide taskbar from desktop :)

16. Nick Ryan Silver badge

The annoyance here is that Windows has had, since Windows 7, a "Library" feature that lets you merge folders, but this is not used by default. On the positive side, search found my image instantly.

It's good new that the utter farce and king of stupid "libraries" is not enabled by default on Windows 10. While it works OK when reading documents of a particular type from a system because you get to see all of the locations together, it's a total disaster when it comes to saving a file because you no longer have a clue, or any particular control, where the damn thing will go. Unless you save but pointedly ignore and bypass libraries, in which case you have two disjointed interfaces, one for read and another for write.

1. PhilBuk

Libraries

First thing I do on a Win 7 installation - disable libraries. Goodbye explorer green bar.

Phil.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So where the hell is Program Manager?

1. Paul Shirley
      Flame

Surely you noticed the similarities with the Start Screen? It's the Program Manager in an always maxed window, in auto arrange mode...

18. MrAslan

Are there wireless touch screen monitors I can use with my desktop computer that allows pen input? So then I will have a monitor that feels like a Microsoft Surface computer.

19. redpawn

Happy Anniversary!

Does it come in a gift box? Is it stable? Is it Biodegradable?

20. alexjorge

There is an error in all enterprise when restarting or closing windows.

It says that YOU NEED SOMETHING OPEN THAT NEED TO BE CLOSE.

I personally test several ENTERPRISE builds and ALL OF THEM keep/still has the same error.

Let see how many YEARS pass till Microsoft fix it.

Anyone know literally speaking HOW MANY YEARS tuck for Microsoft to Fix [Start in Safe Mode] ?

---

To make it worse Microsoft is so lack or creation that, THEY KEEP BREAKING HISTORICAL RECORDS suppressing/blocking something every want it [TRANSPARENCY]

They are saving it for future times when there is nothing new to create, ignoring that APPLE absorb all ready 60% of their clients.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Microsoft Start menu.

How does the EU feel about Microsoft giving primacy to its own apps in the Start menu.

22. paularlen

Reading through the comments here,I ate a whole pack of chocolate chip cookies!,and I'm still bitter!

23. TCMuffin

Crashes with Norton Internet Security

So much for a more secure system...Norton plus the two latest builds (14316 and 14328) cause constant blue screen crashes :-(

Both Norton and Microsoft are blaming the other one...

https://community.norton.com/en/forums/windows-10-build-14316-constant-unexpected-reboot

and

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_repair/build-14316-crashes-when-idle-for-more-than-10/217042cb-e9c2-4608-95e3-a4f3cba135d9?auth=1

24. Kris Sweeney

W10 install will be over my cold dead body...

I've used most versions of Windows from 3.11 onwards and my experience from a usability perspective and omitting VISTA, a positive one. I looked forward to new versions of the OS and despite a couple of hiccups along the way, 7 ticked all the boxes and performed above my expectations.

Unfortunately my positive feelings died with the release of 8. Given the number of years I have used Windows, I'm used to things moving around a bit, names changing for no good reason (at least that I can determine) and API's gaining and losing random functions and events. But 8 and each version (minor or major) since have been a total clusterf***.

Windows 10 may be quicker (at some things) but I the list of 'features' that are jarring, badly designed, difficult to identify (given the awful flat design), and simply incomprehensible mean that I will never willingly allow 10 onto a system that I have any control over.

My father passed away very recently and I received his shiny widescreen 3 month old laptop, it runs Windows 10 and to my disappointment there are no drivers available for Windows 7 - it's now sat in a cupboard waiting for MS to see sense and release Windows 11 which will be a shinier even more stable version of 7, that or me to see sense and install Ubuntu.

I truly prefer my outdated 2GB Dell D620 which is on it's second battery and third case, the first after being dropped down the stairs and the second after it was stood on by my kid, it also happily runs W7.

25. jb99

Ugh more pointless stuff

Get rid of this ink stuff. Nobody wants it.

Get rid of this tablet and touchscreen stuff. Nobody wants it.

Get rid of these universal apps and the stuff related to them. Nobody wants it.

Get rid of the new start menu and all the new UI stuff. Nobody wants it.

Get rid of all the online junk. Nobody wants it.

Make it all much smaller and more reliable. Stop adding pointless junk. Ugh

1. Dwarf

Re: Ugh more pointless stuff

Its easier than that. Just get rid of it and move to a proper operating system,

Microsoft is irrelevant to an increasing populous. Open the windows and look outside you have a choice. Apple, Android, Linux are all there. Pick what works for you.

.I moved to Linux and never looked back.

The OS today is a bit like the Model-T Ford days was to cars,

You have a choice, vote with your feet like many others already have.

26. dddandan

Dreadful

Honestly, the strategy for Windows is just awful - it really is time to have a rethink. Nobody wants one operating system that works on all devices, it's a totally pointless goal that's proving elusive anyway.

27. Portent

I think I've finally given up

I loved XP. I liked W7 a lot. I was prepared to live with W8 once I added the start button back to make it like W7. Unfortunately my son accidentally allowed the PC to upgrade to W10 when he was using the PC. I just can't get on with it anymore. I hate the start menu and it's covered in spyware by many accounts. Everything seems so dumbed down that I prefer using my tablet. Even if I re-install W8 it will nag me to death to upgrade.

The risky thing for MS is that many of us no longer play games on the PC. I've been an on-and-off Linux user for many years but couldn't move away from Windows because of the need for games. But I don't play them anymore; it's been years. With such a choice of Linux distro's I've found several that give me just what I'm looking for. I'll live with W10 so my son can play the occasional game himself. But I think I'm just going to dual boot into Linux as my main desktop now. Windows feels too cumbersome and feels like it gets in the way. All I want is a simple desktop.

28. SidF

Classic Shell is the W10 add on of choice for me as a keyboard and mouse user. My UI is then very similar to W7 and PC Settings and Control Panel are very easy to navigate. What problems are there that Classic Shell doesn't fix? With Classic Shell added, W10 runs very smoothly on my core i5 Samsung laptop.

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Too late for me - I gave up on Win10 and reluctantly went over to The Dark Side a few weeks back (Linux Mint). Apart from a few minor glitches due to my lack of Linux knowledge, I haven't looked back. Everything just works. I can install and uninstall software as required. It seems faster than Windows, and even my IT novice wife is happy with it.

Its a no brainer - its free, is less susceptible to viruses and malware, and is faster.

What is happening to me - I'm sounding like the Linux wierdos who go walk about the office in sandals and vests... Holy Christ, I've just grown a beard too!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like