back to article Intel bins ESXi in in-house private cloud revamp

Intel's decided it can do without VMware's ESXi hypervisor as part of a big upgrade of its private cloud. Chipzilla's a Platinum Member of the OpenStack Foundation and therefore has a seat on the project's board. The company's also been building an OpenStack private cloud since around 2011, but built a customised …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One good product

And so starts the inevitable decline of the once great VMware. If only they hadn't gone public and pandered to shareholder value the story might have been very different. A distinct lack of caring for their customer base and insane pricing coupled with complete lack of vision for a cloudy future has had us all expecting this for a long time.

1. Erik4872

Re: One good product

I think the decline really started taking off when Microsoft baked Hyper-V into Windows Server for free. It still doesn't have all the features that ESXi does, but it's good enough for most applications and getting more capable. And with native Linux support, there's now very little reason to pay VMWare for VSphere in most small environments.

2. Nate Amsden

Re: One good product

as a vmware customer for the past 17 years (pre 1.0 back when it was a linux application for a workstation), and current ESXi 5.5 enterprise+ user I am still quite happy, I have kept an eye on KVM and openstack here and there but nothing to-date makes me even want to consider moving at this time (I thought I would of moved a couple of years ago).

As-is vmware keeps getting cheaper, as Intel piles more and more CPU cores into the sockets. My newest systems are all 18-core chips, my newer ones will be 22-core.

2. Bronek Kozicki

nice

KVM kicking VMWare butt. Intel has been large contributor to KVM Linux kernel code, it is good to seem them switching to use it - exclusively.

3. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Soon to be 100% KVM across my entire install base.

We've all been telling VMware this would happen for ages. They didn't care. They still don't. Make of that what you will.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Soon to be 100% KVM across my entire install base.

And your install base is what exactly? Is it a production environment running business applications or is it a home environment you use to test things, fiddle, learn, etc. Context makes a difference.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge
        Pint

6321 individual hosts and counting across 22 companies.

Multiple production environments.

*shrug*

But since you are entering with a closed mind further conversation seems irrelevant. So: beer.

2. avh

What software you going to use to backup these environments?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

There's lot of choice for OpenStack instance backup. Nova, Cinder, Freezer, all these projects supports backups. Backup can be stored on NFS and Swift type storage (Ceph's Rados, OpenStack Swift).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like