back to article IP address clerks RIPE: Feds, come back with a warrant, er, web browser

One of the five regional internet registries (RIRs), RIPE, has published its 2015 transparency report reviewing requests from law enforcement for information. You may be wondering what kind of information an RIR is capable of giving the authorities, since most information regarding the allocation of IP and AS numbers is …

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

If an investigator doesn't know how to use whois it doesn't augur well for their ability to complete the rest of a tech investigation.

1. stizzleswick

Also, not understanding proper procedure in international investigations is a bit of a hindrance. A U.S. subpoena is only legally effective within the jurisdiction of U.S. courts. Though it seems some U.S. courts think otherwise, as in the case of Microsoft's Irish dependency, this does not extend to any place outside the U.S. and its embassies abroad.

The same goes, of course, for all other courts internationally.

1. Someone_Somewhere

Re: A U.S. subpoena is only legally effective within the jurisdiction of U.S. courts.

Why do you think they're so keen on TTIP?

2. Adam 52 Silver badge

I think the word "subpoena" was added by the journalist, RIPE uses "request".

2. a_yank_lurker

@Doctor Syntax - Remember these are morons who would metaphorically shoot first before doing any preliminary work.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This goes to show that those in 'authority' don't have a clue how the internet works.

1. Mark 85

I must have missed it. Did anyone ever say that they did have a clue?

3. Marcel
    Paris Hilton

Clueless

First I read this: http://fusion.net/story/287592/internet-mapping-glitch-kansas-farm/

And now this article. Is it me or are LEAs completely clueless?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon