back to article Big Content picks first download-block target: THE SUN!

Australia might be set to join the UK and Singapore in bringing down the boom on an unlicensed Philippines-registered movie-streaming website. SolarMovie – here, for those who want to see how long it takes to get blocked from ordinary Australian web users – has attracted the ire of Hollywood for freely streaming movies and TV …

1. MrDamage Silver badge

The whack-a-mole continues

Just like previous attempts by the govt to censor websites, it is more than likely going to be blocked via domain name, leaving those who are familiar with the IP address free to peruse and download.

Or we can just use TOR or VPN's to bypass the blockade.

2. Neoc

Big deal

So you change your Router's/Modem's DNS to query a non-Australian DNS. Problem solved.

3. Winkypop Silver badge
    Trollface

Malcolm will save us all

Or maybe Dr Doolittle will just go on doing SFA.

4. Paratrooping Parrot
    Megaphone

All that effort...

There is so much effort being spent on getting video pirates blocked or arrested. However, nothing is being done to stop scammers. If they spent as much effort on protecting the ordinary folks instead of the very rich film industry, then it would gain more support from the public.

It seems that fighting crime is only done to satisfy the rich.

1. Medixstiff

Re: All that effort...

I at least am happy a decent judge was running the DBC case, for what those greedy wastes of space wanted, it was good to slap a $600,000 bond on them, I'm sure that more than anything else made them realise they had to do the right thing legally or risk losing a decent chunk of change.

5. DrM
    Mushroom

Lists

Well, at least it isn't a secret list with no rules on how to get on it or off it, like our infamous "no-fly" list?

I predict future "trade agreements" between countries will include if they are going to block each other's websites.

6. Bamboozled

Freedom?

Makes you wonder who lives in a free country and who lives behind a bamboo curtain. Is this any different from what the Chinese government is doing, I'm not so sure,,,

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon