back to article Google to admins: We'll tell you when your network is pwned

Google software engineer Nav Jagpal says it will start sharing URLs linked to social engineering, unwanted and malicious software, to help network administrators understand the threats they face. Google is monitoring some 22,000 autonomous systems (ASNs) or about 40 percent of total active networks, and provides some 250 …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Unhappy

I was hoping to sign up

I thought this was an email list sort of thing, but no, you need to have a registered ASN to sign up to this service.

Understandable, I guess, but I am disappointed that Google has not seen fit to share threat information with everyone.

Still, every step against malware is a good one.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I was hoping to sign up

Agreed, I think the sysadmins they have in mind are ISPs, universities, datacentres, and some large companies.

Small/medium business and home users? Not so much.

2. chivo243 Silver badge
    Pint

Something bothers me with this

Jumping into bed with Google? My first reaction was cool! But then the cold hard cynic in me starts to think, do I want to join Google at the hip? It's Friday, I'll contemplate this over the weekend with a few pints!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

duplicate effort.?

Aren't lists of dodge URLs, the sort of thing that the AV suppliers tend to maintain?

In our workplace, it's Trend's lists that,through their 'web reputation' service, stop our users from going near scammy websites - the sort that get your computer to play spoken alarmist unfounded warnings and flashing webpages. Though with one user who was (for work purposes) getting some nasty links through social media, I had to block everything unrated by the system, which turned out to be a lot of our own websites, so I'll not pretend it's perfect.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ad injectors

"It is the latest move by Google to scrub out net nasties, including a crack-down on advertising injectors"

You mean like Google!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ad injectors

Google doesn't like hackers using ads to inject malware, it gives people a very good excuse for why they are running ad blockers - which is what Google views as the real threat since if everyone did that they'd have no source of income.

5. Ole Juul

something seems off

help network administrators understand the threats they face.

This is exactly the kind of thing that network administrators do understand. I'm suspicious that Google wants to put a particular slant on their "understanding".

1. Daggerchild Silver badge

Re: something seems off

Oh for God's sake..

"Here is a box of the latest pathogens that will try and attack you" - "Aha, maybe that's what you WANT me to think!"

I don't want to live in this Internet anymore.

6. inmypjs Silver badge

7. davenewman
    FAIL

Outdated Google reports

The Google Search Console Team" <sc-noreply@google.com> just sent us a "User-generated spam detected" report.

It is for a spam web page that was added and deleted back in October 2015. (We accept user-submitted events on a campaigning website.)

Google are somewhat behind the times.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Looked --> "Sign in to your One Google account" --> Went away again.

There are other lists.

9. Rainer

Sorry

Sorry, we do not have enough information about ASXXXXXX (COMPANY-NET) to perform a registration. Please update the whois information of this AS with contact emails, and try again.

My NOC guys tell me that the data in the whois information is exactly as RIPE had requested it to be.

Couldn't they mention just which line they wanted to have changed?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like